Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 05:19 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,173,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
LIKE I SAID, anyone who is too immature doesn't belong in the military. What a percentage of "the gays" do in the military is no different than what a comparable percentage of "the straights" do in the military.... or have tens of thousands of rapes of female soldiers not enough to knock you off your moral high horse?

BTW, "Young people" (I am 28. I know my generation and the ones that are coming up after a LOT more intimately than you), are a lot less bigoted and a lot more socially mature than the older generations.

Quite frankly, there is a schism in acceptance of homosexuality and gay rights between the older generations and the younger. As a matter of fact.... do you hear that? That's the sound of your bigoted worldview and culture of social exclusion of gay people and other assorted "different people" slowly dying with your generation.
I am 20 years old myself and have noticed that we are a lot more accepting then older people (John McCain).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 05:24 PM

37,967 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Somebody you know personally TOLD you.....hearsay.

ETA: Otherwise link to the discussions....
I was in the military, and I can't remember anyone I knew, who would have disagreed with what was said in that round table discussion. So I don't need a link myself.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:40 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,878 times
as someone that's served in the military I feel OPENLY gay men should be held to the same rules and procedures as women regarding matters such as serving in combat units, or on subs.

I support most all things regarding gay rights but on this one in the end it's for there own safety.
My two cents

Old 12-19-2010, 05:52 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Good grief, after reading this thread and the bigotry towards gays by many, I'm thankful that I live in Canada where homosexuality in the military, and most everywhere else is not an issue...You have some really nasty people below that 48th parallel.

It is a good thing and a done deal, so you're going to have to learn to live with it... Neither gays in the service nor gay marriage have caused any problems here, as a matter of fact they have solved many.
like what?

Old 12-19-2010, 05:57 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Why does it seem that the people that are making the most fuss about this are people who have never served and those who are truely homophopic? Most of my fellow veterans can atest that they either have known or suspected gay folks in uniform and nothing deterimental to this country has ever happened.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:04 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I must be an ultra-slow reader. I know it took me longer to read that article than it did for you to read it and type an answer. Your time was 2 minutes in case you didn't know.
I didn't read past the first paragraph, with the claim of a congressional "defiance of the American people"--about 70% of whom supported repeal.

When a columnist opens the bidding with a lie like that I tend to dismiss the rest.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:21 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,023 times
Mr. McCullough needs to grow up; he acts like a child. He wants his answers now. Now he wants them, he screams. Fortunately, he is not privy to Pentagon planning that has been done and is going on which is exactly why this will take up to a year.

I am sure he would have reacted the same about intergration of the armed forces with African Americans and women.

As for what to do, look at what the armed forces have done. Gays and lesbians have always served without seperate accommodations, why should the future be any different?

M. McCullough's homophobic ravings on other subjects makes me wonder - what is in his closet?

Last edited by newhandle; 12-19-2010 at 07:20 PM..

Old 12-19-2010, 07:14 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Relevant Questions About Obama's New 'Gay' Force
Actually, its not the President's "Gay Force", it was decided by both the Senate and the House (which are both made up of both Republicans AND Democrats) that decided to repeal the DADT thing. The President just has the power to sign it into law.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:15 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
you should be ashamed of yourself...demeaning some ones skin color and gender by comparing their genuine and real discrimination to the self inflicated nonsense of someones sexual habits.
and you should be ashamed of yourself, calling someone's sexual orientation 'self inflicted behavior'.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
as someone that's served in the military I feel OPENLY gay men should be held to the same rules and procedures as women regarding matters such as serving in combat units, or on subs.

I support most all things regarding gay rights but on this one in the end it's for there own safety.
My two cents
So should OPENLY gay women be treated as men and assigned to sub duty and such?

Somehow I don't think the military leave a whole lot of wiggle room for personal expression when it comes to this. Nor should they. Everyone should be checking their sex life at the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies