Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:03 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
I counted only four ?'s:
Guess counting isn't relevant for the social conservatives eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 03:08 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb111 View Post
No it doesn't, but if they wanna play hide the sausage in he middle of the night they can without fear of being exiled, ergo roy's pointing out the question about separate quarters...
Male and female don't bunk together for obvious reasons, DADT was fine always the few gotta mess it up for the masses
The masses will be fine. The repeal of DADT was inevitable because it was discriminatory and ruled unconstitutional.

By the way, I find your comment to be bigoted. It's disgusting, really.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:37 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You have to realize that this does not operate in the reverse right... ?? I am a straight man and I feel (felt... age has a lot to answer for) duty bound to jump every woman I encounter... whether I actually want to or not. Just saying...

H
Touche......

Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I did read the article.

I also looked up Kevin McCullough (the author of the article) to see if he has actually served in the military. I could not find any evidence that he has. McCullough wrote that he spoke to military members and declared himself competent on the matter. People who do that really AGGRAVATE me to no end. I spent more than 10 years on active duty.
The president and Pelosi and Reid have never served either, and they make the opposite claims, does that aggravate you?

Quote:
FACT: There have ALWAYS been homosexual men and women serving in the military. The difference now will be that if they choose to talk about their sexuality, people will know about it. In the past, you could be bunking next to a gay man or a lesbian and you would not know it..
When the military says gays are not welcome, and if we discover you, we will kick you out, it does tend to put a tamper on their decision to join, and severely curtail their homosexual activities. If gays are aloud to serve openly, then more gays will join and they will not need to keep a low profile.

Quote:
There is no need for special billeting arrangements. You'll keep your privates in your knickers regardless. As far as "sexual harassment" complaints, I don't anticipate there will be any more than the usual heterosexual ones.
So teenage men and women will be put into the same rooms now,? Albeit as long as they both promise not to proposition each other, and really, really promise not to have sex.

Quote:
In today's military there are a lot of rules regarding professional and personal conduct. The homosexual folks will abide by those rules the same way heteros have to.
We have been keeping women out of the men's barracks for centuries, and now you think the reasons why this has been military policy is no longer valid.

So your remedy is to toss men, women, gays, bisexuals together, in a compromising situation with co-ed rooms, tell them to obey regulations concerning sexual conduct, and simply punish the transgressors? Commanders want to eliminate any and all possible distractions and prevent situations which may negatively impact morale, discipline and good order, which is why they have always separated the sexes.

Once gays find out the Ednurse policy is in effect, where gays are permitted to sleep in the same rooms as other gays, I'm sure it will be a good recruiting tool. I'm not gay, but I can think of a few guys that would love to sleep and shower in the barracks room as a couple of your hot women. Yeah, I'm sure this will go over just fine, and without a hitch.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yep! My brother shared a room with a gay man in school, and still managed to maintain his heterosexuality - he's had the same beautiful girlfriend for almost 6 years now. So not only did he manage to avoid sexual contact with his roommate, they are still extremely close friends 10+ years later. We now call him our "brother from another mother," LOL.

Unless there's a mutual attraction or one is a rapist, there's no reason to believe gay & straight folks can't share a dorm... it's been happening for years and years already, in both the military & schools, so why is this going to change now? Just because they can serve openly, it doesn't mean they're going to start raping straight soldiers.
Completely anecdotal, but it makes me wonder why we went thru so much trouble keeping the two sexes apart all these years.

There are plenty of men and women who can maintain their integrity and not break the rules, even if placed in compromising situations. There are plenty of others who would not be able to maintain, if they found themselves living and bathing with the opposite sex. Keeping the sexes apart removes temptation, and prevents normally good troops from crossing the line, and ruining their careers. It would be great if we could just say to hell with the whole idea of keeping the sexes separate, and just have one type of barracks and shower area. The truth is that we can't put young people with raging hormones in these easily compromised situations, point to the regulations and the UCMJ and say "Be nice, and follow the rules" and hope for the best.

Many unit commanders ban a lot of things in the barracks, because even though some people can be responsible, there are always that 10-20% who cannot. These 10-20% can cause a lot of morale and discipline problems, and lower the effectiveness for the rest of the unit. Trying to believe that the 10-20% do not exist, so we should eliminate standard policy, may be a ticket to disaster. But what the hell, its not like we are in the middle of a war or anything.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Talking reading, riting, rithmatic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Guess counting isn't relevant for the social conservatives eh?

Big numbers cause them problems. Like anything over 3.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:10 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
...What does it mean to serve "openly"?...

Why do people persist in asking this question? It means you don't have to PRETEND you're straight. Yes, that includes bringing your girlfriend/boyfriend to a family day, having pictures from vacations or anniversaries on your desk/in your locker, etc.

DADT only stated that the military was not ALLOWED to ask what your orientation was - if you were found out to be homosexual, by a means other than your chain of command asking, you were still kicked out.

This is really not a difficult concept to graps.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:22 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,190,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
You said you usually stay away from "gay" threads because you know what to expect, but you couldn't resist starting this one......because you wanted to see who would talk the loudest and longest "against the author and myself." I think that may actually be the definition of trolling. Throwing the bait out there to see who will take it........bait being an obvious anti-gay article to start what appears to be a basically homophobic thread. And then you state that you learned a lot toward your end of seeing who would talk AGAINST you and the AUTHOR. Bait. Trolling.
Excellent analysis, +1 for you!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:23 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheideck View Post
One of the reasons we have the best military in the world is because of the current rules and regulations...
Uh, wrong. We have one of the best militaries in the world because of technology, spending and the wonderful troops we have serving. Some of those wonderful troops are gay, and should be provided the same respect and dignity that the straight troops get. This would include not needing to hide your sexual orientation.

Thanks for your service, though.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Why do people persist in asking this question? It means you don't have to PRETEND you're straight. Yes, that includes bringing your girlfriend/boyfriend to a family day, having pictures from vacations or anniversaries on your desk/in your locker, etc.

DADT only stated that the military was not ALLOWED to ask what your orientation was - if you were found out to be homosexual, by a means other than your chain of command asking, you were still kicked out.

This is really not a difficult concept to graps.
I've been going under the assumption that the people who want to repeal DADT, want gays to serve openly. But you are correct, if no other changes are made, and there are a vast amount of changes that would need to be made, then any person can now be asked, and if they are found to be gay they get discharged. With DADT they could not ask, repealing means they can and they will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies