Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 02:55 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Facing Closure, U.S.'s Largest Sleeping Bag Maker Seeks Relief From Free Trade Loophole
Quote:

By Stephen Clark
Published December 19, 2010

The country's largest manufacturer of sleeping bags says new competition from Bangladesh could force it out of business if the U.S. does not level the playing field.
Exxel Outdoors Inc., which employs nearly 70 workers in its Alabama factory and makes about 2 million sleeping bags per year, has been pressing the Obama administration to lift an important exemption that lets Bangladesh import sleeping bags into the country without paying a 9 percent tariff.....snipped....
Facing Closure, U.S.'s Largest Sleeping Bag Maker Seeks Relief From Free Trade Loophole - FoxNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/12/18/facing-closure-uss-largest-sleeping-bag-maker-seeks-relief-free-trade-loophole/?test=latestnews - broken link)

I hate this stuff. Do we not use any common sense ? I guess since I copied this from Fox some will deny the creditability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 02:59 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Our government no longer pursues the best interest for our country.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:04 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,180 times
Let me get this straight. In this case, conservatives want govt. to interfere with free enterprise to keep jobs here. Sounds like left wing/labor policy.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Facing Closure, U.S.'s Largest Sleeping Bag Maker Seeks Relief From Free Trade Loophole - FoxNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/12/18/facing-closure-uss-largest-sleeping-bag-maker-seeks-relief-free-trade-loophole/?test=latestnews - broken link)

I hate this stuff. Do we not use any common sense ? I guess since I copied this from Fox some will deny the creditability.
Alabama voted Republican and Republicans (with Clinton) passed this crap. Obama should NOT intervene on behalf of Alabama. Elections have consequences.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

I think that the workers in that plant must not be unionized or something would have been done long ago. If Sessions is unsuccessful i believe that something needs to be done about this kind of thing. 70 jobs done away with isn't many but enough small manufacturers being pushed into that will create many unemployed people. Maybe none of those in charge of this kind of thing feel like those red neck hicks in Alabama need any help with jobs.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
I really like this gem from Sessions:
"I have supported free trade, probably more than my colleagues," he said on the Senate floor Friday. "But I have worked for two years to try to obtain a simple justice to close a loophole in the tariff laws that has impacted and will close a sleeping bag textile manufacturer in my state."

In other words, he doesn't have any problem with OTHER people losing their jobs until people in HIS state lose jobs.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that the workers in that plant must not be unionized or something would have been done long ago. If Sessions is unsuccessful i believe that something needs to be done about this kind of thing. 70 jobs done away with isn't many but enough small manufacturers being pushed into that will create many unemployed people. Maybe none of those in charge of this kind of thing feel like those red neck hicks in Alabama need any help with jobs.
Then maybe AL should repeal its right to work law so this sort of thing won't happen?

Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 PM

250 posts, read 379,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Let me get this straight. In this case, conservatives want govt. to interfere with free enterprise to keep jobs here. Sounds like left wing/labor policy.

Wouldn't government interference be the reason for the lack of a tariff in the first place?

Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I really like this gem from Sessions:
"I have supported free trade, probably more than my colleagues," he said on the Senate floor Friday. "But I have worked for two years to try to obtain a simple justice to close a loophole in the tariff laws that has impacted and will close a sleeping bag textile manufacturer in my state."

In other words, he doesn't have any problem with OTHER people losing their jobs until people in HIS state lose jobs.
And placing tariffs on foreign products would likely cause OTHER people to lose their jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
Wouldn't government interference be the reason for the lack of a tariff in the first place?
No. The tariff would be the interference.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
No. The tariff would be the interference.
From reading the story, it sounds like there was a special exemption for sleeping bags..

If sleeping bags is an exemption to tariffs, then I'd really like to hear who was bribing what Congressman to get the special exemption..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies