Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:43 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
No, but when you reply directly to my post then you better have your facts straight.
kay, now ya got me all askeer'd, I'm a shakin' in my boots.

So, which fact do you need straight?

1. It's winter.
2. It snows in winter.
3. It's winter in the Northern Hemisphere
4. It's snowing in Minnesota
5. It's snowing in England
6. England is in a higher latitude than Minnesota
7. It's still snowing in both places cause it's cold (aka winter)
8. Butterfly farts don't cause snow or heat waves

(Hey, you do know we're on the same page, right?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
kay, now ya got me all askeer'd, I'm a shakin' in my boots.

So, which fact do you need straight?

1. It's winter.
2. It snows in winter.
3. It's winter in the Northern Hemisphere
4. It's snowing in Minnesota
5. It's snowing in England
6. England is in a higher latitude than Minnesota
7. It's still snowing in both places cause it's cold (aka winter)
8. Butterfly farts don't cause snow or heat waves

(Hey, you do know we're on the same page, right?)
I didn't realize that this was 2nd grade.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
*whoosh!*

Is it a bird?

Is is a plane?

Is it Superman?!

Whoops, nope. Just the sound of my point flying miles over someone's head.

I swear, this board is a hoot to hang around. Even better than watching TV sometimes, heh. Go look up the meaning of the word "average" in the dictionary. I'll wait.

Refusing to admit you are wrong doesn't make you seem intelligent. It simply reveals your inability to learn. The present warming trend began decades before the atmospheric levels of CO2 saw any significant increase from the use of fossil fuels. Furthermore, water vapor in the atmosphere is by far the most abundant and most consequential greenhouse gas. That higher concentrations of water vapor in the atmosphere doesn't cause a "runaway" greenhouse effect proves the global warming theory is fundamentally flawed.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Why are you still arguing? Didn't I already tell you that we get it? Have it your way. There is no AGW. Feel better? There is no proof of the existence of God. You still believe in Him though, right? We don't know that human activities can influence the planet but only a fool thinks that hundreds of millions of automobiles, powerplants, feedlots and other artifacts of human engineering or agriculture don't have any effect on our atmosphere. It's clear that the will isn't there to do anything for our children or their children. The vast economic machinery of an entire planet filled with sentient life is going to run down and stall like a cheap watch because the planets elite have sucked so much wealth from the economy that there isn't enough left to even keep civilization.

I really don't see what the fact that there have been Ice Ages and Jurassic Summers have to do with here and now. Who am I though. The Army Corps of Engineers knew that the levee's in Louisiana were in bad shape and that all it would take is a good F5 hurricane to decimate the region and they sat on their asses and... ... We are not worthy. Humanity is not fit to be the dominant life-form on this world. Everything on this planet would be better off (including us) if humans did not achieve the technological ability to modify and alter the world to the degree that we have. I am not talking about Global Warming... I've agreed... it doesn't exist. Plenty does exist that cannot be argued away. Did you know that Chinese women don't get breast cancer? Really, the disease was practically unknown there until maybe 10 years ago. Even now, it strikes fewer than 1 in 10,000 women vs 1 in 12!!! in the U.S. Genetics? That's what everybody said until the Chinese started coming to the U.S. and voila, Chinese women in the U.S. get cancer at the same rate that American women do. So we know that cancer is caused by something in our water, air or food. Something that wasn't always there. Maybe not any one thing. Capitalism is all about coming up with something new for us to buy. The billionaires are pumping us full of poison and we are paying them to do it. I'll get out of the way now so you can continue your pointless point counterpoint ****ing match about the alleged causes of that which cannot be named.

H

Old 12-21-2010, 03:09 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The reason why the "wealth re-distribution" argument is such a flash-point for GW deny'ers is because they might just have a point: it is more about money than "degrees Celsius". The hacked weather data supports AGW not just GW and to me that isn't and has never been the point. Humans don't cause earthquakes or volcanoes but we are certainly impacted by them and we are at work on ways of reducing their destructive aspects. Why not the same with GW? I mean, if a 2 degree rise in mean or average (or whatever aggregate adjective you want to use) in atmospheric temperature is bad for humanity, why on earth would humanity not do what it could to attempt to limit the worst extremes of the predictions? If your blood sugar is 120 do you increase your consumption of sugar? No you aren't diabetic... yet, and there is no guarantee that by reducing your sugar intake you won't eventually get it, but it is a fact that not reducing or worse increasing sugar consumption will guarantee a diabetes diagnosis and all the concomitant health complications and longevity impacts. But... addressing climate issues requires those who have the most to lose financially dead set against any acknowledgment of a problem. It is only wealth re-distribution to the Corporatocracy and they set their right wing stooges to campaign on their behalf. GW threads get the immediate and coordinated attention by the right wing deny'ers every-time because it is imperative that they keep the susceptible public in doubt. Every day of delay means another day of cha-ching as usual. Just by arguing with them they are winning. I've made peace with the fact that I am outmanned and outgunned in the AGW debacle. Really, what is the point? Truth be told, GW is the least of our worries. The same Corporatocracy responsible for AGW has loaded our food, water and air with enough Industrial Pollution to mutate the genes of the next three generations even if it were to stop today. Humanity as we know it is in the lame duck session of all lame duck sessions. Forget the big picture. There is no big picture. But lets not be chumps about it. Look the Devil in the eye and call him by Name. Go down with Integrity. Go down Informed. Go down with dignity Intact. Don't embarrass yourself by siding with entities and interests that do not have your interests in mind.

H
Here's is why we should believe the deny'ers and not believe the alarmists. I'm 41 years old. Here are the things the alarmists have siad was gonna happen or was gonna be a whole lot worse than it really was:

Overpopulation
Global Cooling
Love Canal
Exxon Valdez
Three Mile Island
Chernobyl
Acid Rain
Kuwati Oil Fires
S.A.R.S.
Swine Flu
Killer Bees from Mexico
AIDS
Ozone Layer
No more rain forests
Water shortages
Food shortages
Red Dye #2
No more room in the landfills (anyone else remember that barge full of trash in Jersey in the 80s? LOLs)
BP oil spill
Numerous animal extinctions
New Ice Age
Nuclear Winter
Desertification

The GW crowd has been wrong about everyone of these. The deny'ers have been corrrect about them all. Yet, we are supposed to stop driving SUVs because the people that have been wrong about everything else are all of a sudden right now. LOLS.

Read the "Population Bomb" by Paul Erlich. Then change the word population to global warming. Exact same results and and exact same predictions. LMAO. You all couldn't even be original in your quest for Big Brother type powers over humanity. Because that's what the environmental crowd is really about. Total control over humanity.

By the way, that list is just what I came up with off the top of my head. Anyone can fell free to add more. I'm sure there are literally hundreds of more predictions the global warming crowd was wrong about.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:14 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Why are you still arguing? Didn't I already tell you that we get it? Have it your way. There is no AGW. Feel better? There is no proof of the existence of God. You still believe in Him though, right? We don't know that human activities can influence the planet but only a fool thinks that hundreds of millions of automobiles, powerplants, feedlots and other artifacts of human engineering or agriculture don't have any effect on our atmosphere. It's clear that the will isn't there to do anything for our children or their children. The vast economic machinery of an entire planet filled with sentient life is going to run down and stall like a cheap watch because the planets elite have sucked so much wealth from the economy that there isn't enough left to even keep civilization.

I really don't see what the fact that there have been Ice Ages and Jurassic Summers have to do with here and now. Who am I though. The Army Corps of Engineers knew that the levee's in Louisiana were in bad shape and that all it would take is a good F5 hurricane to decimate the region and they sat on their asses and... ... We are not worthy. Humanity is not fit to be the dominant life-form on this world. Everything on this planet would be better off (including us) if humans did not achieve the technological ability to modify and alter the world to the degree that we have. I am not talking about Global Warming... I've agreed... it doesn't exist. Plenty does exist that cannot be argued away. Did you know that Chinese women don't get breast cancer? Really, the disease was practically unknown there until maybe 10 years ago. Even now, it strikes fewer than 1 in 10,000 women vs 1 in 12!!! in the U.S. Genetics? That's what everybody said until the Chinese started coming to the U.S. and voila, Chinese women in the U.S. get cancer at the same rate that American women do. So we know that cancer is caused by something in our water, air or food. Something that wasn't always there. Maybe not any one thing. Capitalism is all about coming up with something new for us to buy. The billionaires are pumping us full of poison and we are paying them to do it. I'll get out of the way now so you can continue your pointless point counterpoint ****ing match about the alleged causes of that which cannot be named.

H
Yes, there are many man-made problems that we should correct. But, isn't it ironic that those same 'billionaires" that are pumping us full of poison are the ones who are screaming about global warming? I agree that we should help save the planet. I just don't think that donating to super-rich, liberal scientists is the best way to do that.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
You don't need climate data from the 14th century to tell you that an SUV is perhaps not exactly beneficial to the earth and that millions of them absolutely cannot be beneficial to the planet.

But that's not the debate, is it? The debate is around man made CO2.

Nobody says millions of SUVs are beneficial to the planet.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
but only a fool thinks that hundreds of millions of automobiles, powerplants, feedlots and other artifacts of human engineering or agriculture don't have any effect on our atmosphere.
H
Correct. Pollution can be observed and everybody agrees that pollution is a bad thing. Most of us also agree that we should do something about it. What we don't agree to is global wealth distribution and global government as solutions to address pollution.

Quote:
.....planets elite have sucked so much wealth from the economy that there isn't enough left to even keep civilization.
H

I assume you are talking about Al Gore, Barack Obama and the rest of the ruling class. In that case, you are correct. Our ruling class is totally out of control.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:14 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past

By Charles Onians

Monday, 20 March 2000

"Britain's winter ends tomorrow with further indications of a striking environmental change: snow is starting to disappear from our lives. Britain's winter ends tomorrow with further indications of a striking environmental change: snow is starting to disappear from our lives. Sledges, snowmen, snowballs and the excitement of waking to find that the stuff has settled outside are all a rapidly diminishing part of Britain's culture, as warmer winters - which scientists are attributing to global climate change - produce not only fewer white Christmases, but fewer white Januaries and Februaries."

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past - Environment - The Independent

That was 2000 and this is now (there are photos with the link):

Coldest December since records began as temperatures plummet to minus 10C bringing travel chaos across Britain
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 11:38 AM on 18th December 2010

"Swathes of Britain skidded to a halt today as the big freeze returned - grounding flights, closing rail links and leaving traffic at a standstill.
And tonight the nation was braced for another 10in of snow and yet more sub-zero temperatures - with no let-up in the bitterly cold weather for at least a month, forecasters have warned. The Arctic conditions are set to last through the Christmas and New Year bank holidays and beyond and as temperatures plummeted to -10c (14f) the Met Office said this December was ‘almost certain’ to become the coldest since records began in 1910."

Big freeze: Temperatures plummet to -10C bringing travel chaos across Britain | Mail Online

get with the program, it's not global warming, it's climate change! b ut hey, congress is now debating net neutrality so no matter how damning the evidence against this nonsense, in time we'll never know! we'll have to rely on the talking heads in the mainstream media

Old 12-21-2010, 11:27 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
I keep hearing people say that global warming will cause certain areas to cool. OK I can buy that. Could someone please explain then why every freaking place on the globe seems to be experiencing more cold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies