Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,386,820 times

Advertisements

So many really valid points taken here, But isn't this all being done in vain. Parents hate to say it you have gotten rather lazy, expecting Schools to take care of their children but yet bitc- when something happens at that school, as with the School lunch program. Today, i see no problem with the School's help in controlling what these children eat, but Parents come one now, you have got to do your part also. I have seen you parents when i am out and about. A overweight child why are they eating the big hamburgers, the fries, onion rings, and a shake or ice cream after this. Why. Teach your children from when they are young about exercise and good nutrition. They can still have the sweets, done in moderation after they eat a balanced meal.

It does not do any good to teach these chidlren the value and importance of healthy eating, if the parents are not on board, and you know what this is very sad. And for the health issues isn't that of importance for your children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 11:02 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,554,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So this is because of the schools? How are the children getting money to spend at the school....(parents)

Before you blame anyone....does the child have a thyroid problem? Has he/she been checked out for other medical problems?

So the government should step in.....how about the parent step up and be a parent....pull the X-box and PS3's....don't let them set down and eat until everything on the table is gone....

Here is one for ya....How about all the parents step up and BE PARENTS!!!
And how are you going to 'force' the parents to step up and be parents?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:03 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,723,595 times
Sigh! Where were all these 'keep government out of our lives" folks when No Child Left Behind was crammed down our throats?!

We're talking a first lady who wants to start a simple healthy eating & healthy lifestyle initiative across the nation. Never did she say to do away with all desserts. SP implied that. But then SP is the queen of spin and for some bizarre reason is attack dog toward the first lady.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 AM

46,175 posts, read 26,890,691 times
O.K. for everyone who wants to have the governnment run what our child eats at school, answer me this.....

Do you really think 5 meals out of a week is going to do anything for the children? I mean really....What about the 10 meals in those 5 days, M-F, Breakfast and dinner that is SERVED at home.

What about that Saturday and Sunday.....there will be at least 6 meals min.

So lets do some basic math.....6 meals on SAT and SUN, then MON - FRI, a min of 10 are at the house. 16 meals a week are eaten at the house...min. and you actually think those 5 meals at school are gonna make a difference?

Everything goes back to the parents....plain and simple....no government needed...

Parents....step up and be parents....

Old 12-21-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And how are you going to 'force' the parents to step up and be parents?

Parenting cannot be taught...it is something that you must learn...and if the parent cannot take care of their child....they should have though of that before they spread there legs or dropped the pants....

It's not my problem, if a parent cannot be a parent...then the government should (what about other family members) step in and take that child away.....but not what my kid should eat at school....

Old 12-21-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Maybe the government could balance its books if it didn't have to pay to feed, educate and provide health care for your children. Lets quit giving tax breaks to people who have children too.

Want the government out of your lives? How about you don't have children you cannot afford to raise without the governments help?

Why should the government pay to feed your children unhealthy food and then also have to pay for your children's health problems caused by obesity and poor nutrition?

A novel idea, parents...... raise your children on your own dime..........then you can tell the government to butt out.
The government DOES NOT provide health care for my child....I do through my company....

Agreed...

I'm not sure how or why you think the government is paying for a childs health care? Unless (wait for it) the PARENTS ARE LAZY and dont care!!!!!!!!!

You know, a common ending here...it always ends up back at the parents? Wonder why?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:19 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,554,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Parenting cannot be taught...it is something that you must learn...and if the parent cannot take care of their child....they should have though of that before they spread there legs or dropped the pants....

It's not my problem, if a parent cannot be a parent...then the government should (what about other family members) step in and take that child away.....but not what my kid should eat at school....
So...instead of providing a healthy meal a few days a week, you'd rather the government take away their children and put them in government run foster care?

No, parenting can't be taught... but people will CONTINUE to have children when they probably shouldn't... how are you going to stop that? Smack them on the hand with a ruler and say 'NO KIDS FOR YOU'. You think that will work?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,410,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
No, parenting can't be taught... but people will CONTINUE to have children when they probably shouldn't... how are you going to stop that? Smack them on the hand with a ruler and say 'NO KIDS FOR YOU'. You think that will work?
So why is this my fault? Why should the tax payer pick up the tab? I have an idea, every parent that gets this kind of freebie must come to the tax payers house and do some work. Sound fair? It does to me.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:19 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,827,614 times
I think that if they want to incorporate the "salad bar" idea, they better clean it up first.

Quote:
Risk to kids from toxic pesticides may be underestimated, study finds

When kids eat conventionally grown fruits and vegetables, what level of pesticide residues are they taking in -- and to what effect?

Risk to kids from toxic pesticides may be underestimated, study finds | Grist

Old 12-21-2010, 01:55 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,273,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sarah's comment about Michelle Obama is totally inappropriate and uncalled for, unless, that is, S. is running for president.
It would still be inappropriate. Michelle Obama is NOT running for political office.

It also shows a lack of class but consider the source.

Sarah Palin reminds me of a high school girl that hangs with the "In crowd", is popular with boys and extremely snarky towards anybody else she deems not in her "Crowd".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies