Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:26 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, it's funny you say that. I've felt that way with all this wailing and gnashing of teeth over Obama doing things that EVERY OTHER PRESIDENT has done, starting with the pre-inaugural parties. I recall some dipstick on FOX saying they should have given that money to the poor. Even Jesus said the poor will always be with us and it's OK to spend money on other things once in a while. His night out with Michelle in NYC (when he was barely gone from DC for 24 hours, and was fulfilling a campaign promise he made to her); his presiding over an annual picnic (get the point here, it was something ongoing) fir congressional families, every frickin' vacation AND overseas business trip, etc, etc, etc.

However, no one brough up race in this thread for 91 posts, which is certainly an improvement. However, post #92 played the race card again.

President Obama could create a 100 trillion dollar surplus, pull every single American household into at least the middle class, eradicate AIDS, cure all cancers, bring world peace, end world hunger and even save 10 babies from a burning house after rescuing a kitten from a tree while saving Timmy from the well.........and the hate parade would still march on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 08:31 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,225,789 times
Can we really call it a vacation? Please...the guy is headed over to Hawaii where he will receive intel updates, briefings, and make decisions. He'll be lucky to even take a walk on the beach.

I may not like his politics...but dang it...give the guy a break--let him enjoy his Christmas in his hometown.

Meh...give me a break.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:59 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,106,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
He is from Hawaii. It is a state and he is President of it. It's not surprising he would go there. Should Presidents only get to go home if they live in a cheap or landlocked state? Get real. The SS will go wherever he goes regardless of where he goes.

I'm sorry you couldn't afford to go there but many many "ordinary" Americans can and do go there ALL THE TIME. Would you be ok if he were going to the Caribbean because it was cheaper? Serioulsy, I don't think even you know what you are argueing about at this point. Let. It. Go.
I have no problem with him going there on official business. That is not the case here, though.

It's also not his home. It was his birthplace. He has not lived in Hawaii since 1979. The grandparents who raised him are both dead, so it's not a trip to go visit them, either. His parents are also dead.

I'm saying he picked an expensive place to go during a time when we are royally screwed as a country when it comes to money. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a vacation, but jeeze, he couldn't pick somewhere cheaper?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
Now this makes sense. Don't blame the President's vacations as spending too much money just because you could not afford a luxurious honeymoon.
WTF?? That has nothing to do with anything. I was giving a reference point for my statement that Hawaii is an expensive place to travel to.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And in what way is this different from George W. Bush going to his ranch in Texas, where he was hardly what you could call a farmhand?
So Obama is going to be staying in his own property when he goes to Hawaii?

Huge difference.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:09 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,913,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
WTF?? That has nothing to do with anything. I was giving a reference point for my statement that Hawaii is an expensive place to travel to.
Probably a good reason to throw them out of the Union. Imagine how much their representatives and senators are costing us. And, if they were out of the Union, the President could not use the excuse that they are part of America for going there.

And lets throw Alaska out too. They are also too far away Maybe Russia would buy it back. After all, you can see Russia from there

Old 12-21-2010, 09:30 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
Quote:
So Obama is going to be staying in his own property when he goes to Hawaii?

Huge difference.
What difference does it make?

Hawaii is his home state. It does not matter if he owns the whole island of Oahu, is staying at a friend's home or is staying at a resort. If President Obama owned a huge compound like the Bush family then the hate parade would complain about that too.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What difference does it make?

Hawaii is his home state. It does not matter if he owns the whole island of Oahu, is staying at a friend's home or is staying at a resort. If President Obama owned a huge compound like the Bush family then the hate parade would complain about that too.
Agreed. That should be the least of anyone's objections to Obama.

Do the same people who object to Obama going to Hawaii also object to Palin going to Alaska?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:01 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,249 times
Quote:
I have no problem with him going there on official business. That is not the case here, though.

It's also not his home. It was his birthplace. He has not lived in Hawaii since 1979. The grandparents who raised him are both dead, so it's not a trip to go visit them, either. His parents are also dead.

I'm saying he picked an expensive place to go during a time when we are royally screwed as a country when it comes to money. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a vacation, but jeeze, he couldn't pick somewhere cheaper?
But at least it is a lot cheaper than going back to Kenya.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:

Something tells me many RWs would be angry if he were going to Chicago, too. What's your issue with Hawaii. It's expensive for the president to go anywhere. Some of the costs such as Secret Service are fixed. Airfare on AF I is not likely much less to Chicago than it is to Hawaii. Due to security reasons, the Obama entourage would likely have to stay at a pricy place in Chicago, too, though I guess O. does own a home there. But most of the SS wouldn't be staying in Obama's house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Agreed. That should be the least of anyone's objections to Obama.

Do the same people who object to Obama going to Hawaii also object to Palin going to Alaska?
Anyone? andrea? wrench? Waineagirl? stayinformed? bentlebee? alphamale? henrjam? Anyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies