Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:46 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times

Advertisements

Social Security should be cut; along with Medicare and every single other federal/state entitlement program, until a handle on this debt can be found. I cannot stand Obummer, however I'd applaud him as doing the right thing IF, he actually did cut Social Security. Will never happen, however, I'd give him kudos if he did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 05:49 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I agree, amazingly! The long term solutions will be difficult and should include all Entitlements as well as Defense. Of course there is the need for adults to be elected, so that those conversations can take place.
So when Obama suggests it, they are adults.. When the GOP suggests the same exact thing, they are not?

Old 12-21-2010, 05:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So when Obama suggests it, they are adults.. When the GOP suggests the same exact thing, they are not?
The Deficit Commission was Obama's. He had to do that because the Senate Repubs refused to establish one in the Senate. But, that is beside the point. There is a need to elect adult Democrats and adult Repubs to Congress. That has yet to be accomplished.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:02 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Said it before and I'll say it again. Only a fool depends on the gov. I honestly doubt that any institution is worse at managing money than a gov.

Cut SS but send billions in aid every year to countries who dont even like us.
Cut SS but waste billions on pork.
Cut SS but put billions into the UN coffers.
Cut SS pay out million dollar bonuses to wall street fat cats. Yep the gov has our back.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:06 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The Deficit Commission was Obama's. He had to do that because the Senate Repubs refused to establish one in the Senate. But, that is beside the point. There is a need to elect adult Democrats and adult Repubs to Congress. That has yet to be accomplished.
The adult thing to do be responsible for what you are responsible for. That would be the Republicans calling for CONGRESS to be responsible, not the president. They after its CONGRESS who write the budget

Do you really think it was adult like for a Democratic Congress to increase the debt all year waiting for the debt commission report by over a Trillion dollars? Do you think it was adult like to not pass a budget AT ALL, which is what the Democrats did?

Sorry, only a child delegates their responsibilities to others and sticks their fingers in their ear while the deficit skyrockets, which is what the Democratic Congress did.. so spare me the bs about who the adult is, especially considering they are simply rehashing the cuts that were called for by the GOP ages ago..

Old 12-21-2010, 06:21 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Pathetic but unsurprising.

Opinion: Obama to blink first on Social Security - Robert Kuttner - POLITICO.com

Right wingers your prayers are answered, you have a President willing to go along as you seek to dismantle middle class benefits.

""Republicans win three ways. They have a Democratic president doing their work for them, destroying the Democratic capacity to use affirmative government to address dire national problems and annihilating his own party.""
Psst.....I have something to tell you: WE WON, YOU LOST. DEAL WITH IT. Yup, our prayers have definitely been answered.

The most frightening phrase in that post? "Affirmative government".

Old 12-21-2010, 07:11 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
1. Its an opinion piece.

2. If he's referring to raising the retirement age then that would be a good thing.

People are living longer, and I'd rather work till 70 and get social security than to not get anything at all. Its really quite hard to make out what he's talking about specifically about social security when its not even talked about in the article.
Quote:
Easy to tell you don't know anything about SS.

1 Raising the retirement age to 69 represent a 15% cut in benefits.

You''re too stingy to support a small raise the SS tax now so you'll have your kids and grandkids have their benefits cut.

2. Saying "not getting anything at all" is so far off the mark it's obvious you know nothing about the financials....

If we do NOTHING we still get 78% of benefits starting in 2037.

That's not "nothing at all"...
Show me in the above post where I said anything about opposing raising social security payroll tax. Please.

I have no problem with a slight raise in payroll tax for social security AND raising the retirement age to 70.

And I'm 31, so I've got a long time before I'd retire. I'm ok with that.

It will be nothing at all, let me explain.

If we do nothing to curb our spending over the next four years, our credit rating will be lowerd from the AAA rating it is now. This means we'll have to pay out a higher interest rate on the money we borrow. This would make us have to pay 1 trillion dollars in interest alone every year to keep up with our budget. Entitlements is a huge part of that pie. I want military spending cut a lot, I think it should make up 50% of the deficit cuts we need. But 25% from entitlements and 25% from tax increases would make up for the rest. Social security raising the retirement age would make up 15% of the total deficit over the next 30 years.

If our credit rating goes to crap, we'll have to make more cuts, which means possibly the extinction of social security. If you can't pay for it, you can't have it.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:38 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaluce View Post
Obama's Next Cave In To GOP: Cuts In Social Security Coming

yeah, what's up with that?

we should just keep kicking the can down the road, creating more programs, promising more entitlemnts, expanding government bureaucracy, enabling more dependency...

yeah, that's it! that's the answer!
Expenses for the Social Security program will exceed tax receipts beginning in 2016., now 0bama is reducing the payroll deduction for SS by 2%, the democratic party controlled congress has increased the national debt by $6 trillion, added a new health care entitlement to compete with funds for SS, and this thread is about republicans?

You are correct, the dems refuse to address SS, we know it will exceed its funding in a few years, and yet any talk about how to save it is met with hoots and catcalls from the dems. Then we get threads from their partisan airheads supporters hooting and catcalling.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:42 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Expenses for the Social Security program will exceed tax receipts beginning in 2016., now 0bama is reducing the payroll deduction for SS by 2%, the democratic party controlled congress has increased the national debt by $6 trillion, added a new health care entitlement to compete with funds for SS, and this thread is about republicans?

You are correct, the dems refuse to address SS, we know it will exceed its funding in a few years, and yet any talk about how to save it is met with hoots and catcalls from the dems. Then we get threads from their partisan airheads supporters hooting and catcalling.
Republicans pushed for 80% of the trillion dollars we just went deeper into debt for. I disagree with the lowering of social security taxes when its already in a hole, but lets face facts, both parties have screwed the pooch here.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:54 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times
Quote:
Pathetic but unsurprising.

Opinion: Obama to blink first on Social Security - Robert Kuttner - POLITICO.com

Right wingers your prayers are answered, you have a President willing to go along as you seek to dismantle middle class benefits.

""Republicans win three ways. They have a Democratic president doing their work for them, destroying the Democratic capacity to use affirmative government to address dire national problems and annihilating his own party.""
Yep. Obama is doing the Republicans dirty work for them. And when or if there are cuts in SS, it will be the Democrats who will be blamed. Obama is a callous fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies