Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Sorry Charlie, unemployment under Bush...7.4% and rising. At the end of '09 Obama 10%. It's pretty clear which way the ship was headed under Bush, and while not completely ship shape under Obama, especially w/ his cave on the taxes, the number of jobs lost is FAR better than what Bush had.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi Compares Job Losses Under Presidents Obama and Bush | TPM Document Collection

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

In Dec. of '08 alone, Bush lost 719k jobs. SEVEN HUNDRED and NINETEEN...THOUSAND jobs. IN DECEMBER OF 2008.

How are better? Maybe you should stop watching FAUX News, you wouldn't be so mis-informed.

Maybe you are not aware, normal unemployment will run about 5% so your argument about Bush versus Obama is totally without merit, but then, you will do anything to spin. Let's face it the rate can only go up so much.

No, with rare exceptions our country is certainly not better off under Obama. Oh, and btw, unless I am misinformed, Dec 08 was after the election. Of course you would say that has nothing to do with it as Bush was tech still in office. Wasn't the congress under the Democrats by then?
Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 08:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Do you seriously think a McCain/Palin administration would have gotten us out of Iraq and Afghanistan any faster or made the world love us any more? Seriously? Or done ANYTHING that would have turned the economy around any faster than it is turning around now? If you do, I have a bridge to no where in Alaska to sell you.
That was not the question. The OP asked if we are better off now than we were 2 years ago, not would we be better off with McCain? Another expample of spinning.

Nita

Old 12-21-2010, 08:50 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Name one measure where things have gotten better. I can't think of anything. The economy has taken a giant $hit and is showing no signs of life. We are the brink of a Korean war. China is upset with our spending and so is the rest of the world. We are still in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Time for the Democrats to take some ownership here. How are we any better off now than 2008, let alone 2004?

Oh my. Where have you been? Not on the same planet I live on for certain.

Let's review, ok?

1. George Bush started a war in Iraq in 2003 that has cost this country $1 trillion. During Obama's administration troop levels have gone from over 130,000 down to 50,000 and we should exist Iraq within the next two years.

2. Under George's Bush's watch a huge recession (not seen since the likes of the Great Depression) began first by problems in the housing industry. That recession spread to the financial services sector and has taken many banks down with it. The economic stimulus, TARP, and other programs are much bemoaned, but has been what has prevented a recession from becoming the Great Depression. You think 9.8% unemployment is bad? Try 23%. This happened during the Depression of the 30's. All economic indicators show slow, but steady improvement right now. By summer, this economy will be adding jobs and the unemployment rate will begin to drop. What alot of rightwing sycophants can't get through their small minds is that the real achievement was preventing a catastrophe. Its taken massive deficit spending to do it, but its worked. Years from now, when the economic history of this time is written, economists will say it was the bold action taken by the Federal Reserve, the Treasury, and the President which prevented an economic cataclysm.

3. Our trade deficit is finally decreasing because we have allowed the dollar to weaken. This is a good thing. I hope we have the good sense to "stay the course". If America exports more it will lead to more job growth in the manufacturing area. This is a place where we have struggled for some time.

4. America is no longer a country that is belittled abroad. We have a President that has restored our respect among other nations. Thank God, we no longer have a President and advisors who try to argue that "waterboarding isn't torture".

5. We are allowing embryonic stem cell research, we are appointing supreme court justices that are not rightwing idealogues, we are extending freedoms to all Americans (including those who are gay), we've passed a bill that regulates and prohibits some of the worst abuses by banks and credit card companies, and we've demonstrated that our Presidency is no longer limited to just old white men anymore.

I wish the economy would get better faster just like everyone else does. However, we are moving in the right direction. The only thing that can upset things is if some of the oafs like Rand Paul get their way.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:08 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Let's review, ok?.

sure lets review

Quote:
1. George Bush started a war in Iraq in 2003 that has cost this country $1 trillion. During Obama's administration troop levels have gone from over 130,000 down to 50,000 and we should exist Iraq within the next two years.
well not quite

it War(S) in afganastan and iraq have cost NEARLY 1 trillion...and while therehas been a troop reduction (negotiated by bush) in iraq. obama has increase the troops in afganastan

Quote:

2. Under George's Bush's watch a huge recession (not seen since the likes of the Great Depression) began first by problems in the housing industry. That recession spread to the financial services sector and has taken many banks down with it. The economic stimulus, TARP, and other programs are much bemoaned, but has been what has prevented a recession from becoming the Great Depression. You think 9.8% unemployment is bad? Try 23%. This happened during the Depression of the 30's. All economic indicators show slow, but steady improvement right now. By summer, this economy will be adding jobs and the unemployment rate will begin to drop. What alot of rightwing sycophants can't get through their small minds is that the real achievement was preventing a catastrophe. Its taken massive deficit spending to do it, but its worked. Years from now, when the economic history of this time is written, economists will say it was the bold action taken by the Federal Reserve, the Treasury, and the President which prevented an economic cataclysm. .
housing bubble started with policy from 1995

tarp was bush's fault

and the fed is run by a bush appointee, that obama has kept

Quote:

3. Our trade deficit is finally decreasing because we have allowed the dollar to weaken. This is a good thing. I hope we have the good sense to "stay the course". If America exports more it will lead to more job growth in the manufacturing area. This is a place where we have struggled for some time.

sure let weeken the dollar even more,,,you think it will be good when it costs $200 to buy a loaf of bread.....typical liberal

Quote:

4. America is no longer a country that is belittled abroad. We have a President that has restored our respect among other nations. Thank God, we no longer have a President and advisors who try to argue that "waterboarding isn't torture".
nope obama is doing just like clinton and sending them to other countries to get "intell'd"

Quote:

5. We are allowing embryonic stem cell research, we are appointing supreme court justices that are not rightwing idealogues, we are extending freedoms to all Americans (including those who are gay), we've passed a bill that regulates and prohibits some of the worst abuses by banks and credit card companies, and we've demonstrated that our Presidency is no longer limited to just old white men anymore.

stem cell research is good...but at the cost of a babies life???... you thnk that's good....nuff said

so now we are appointing left wing idiologs as judges...your point???

the financial reform bill???? you mean the onethat the liberals PURPOSFULLY left fanie and freddie off of....go figure that one, the main reason for the financial bust was fannie and freddie, yet the liberals exclude those entities....go figure

who said the potus had to be white...or a MAN...I would have loved seeing a rice-v-clinton match...guarenteed a woman would have gotten it, and it might have been not only a woman, but a black woman.....you need to get off the race card...its old

Old 12-21-2010, 09:09 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
All economic indicators show slow, but steady improvement right now. By summer, this economy will be adding jobs and the unemployment rate will begin to drop.
The bitter irony of your statement is left wingers said that exact same thing this time last year, how well that worked out. Recovery summer ended up causing us to lose 300k jobs.

Of course, I actually believe it this time around, since the tax cut extensions cleared and Republicans gained control of the House. Economists have moved up their estimates of future GDP and job growth on those two facts alone.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:11 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Name one measure where things have gotten better. I can't think of anything.

Time for the Democrats to take some ownership here. How are we any better off now than 2008, let alone 2004?
well, i'm not a democrat, but i can think of one thing that they've done better than the republicans:

they haven't crashed the economy, which is something the republicans did between 2002-2007.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:11 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
How are we any better? You mean other than not being in the midst of a full blown Depression?
Bush stopped the collapse of the dollar with TARP..

Want to try to answer again?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
well, i'm not a democrat, but i can think of one thing that they've done better than the republicans:

they haven't crashed the economy, which is something the republicans did between 2002-2007.
you need to think better

1. the ecomony 'officially' went south after the dems took over in 07

2. the reasons it went south was due to policies from ther 90's

3. the economy has gotten worse and worse in the last 3 yeras..are some thing improving..sure

4. and btw the stockmarket is not an indicator of the economy

Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:

Let's review, ok?

Um.. Obama TRIPLED the number of troops in Afghanistan while following the very plan Bush laid out to reduce troops in Iraq. Which coincidently the strategy in Afgahnistan is the same as Iraq, which this administration opposed and said wouldnt work when being planned .
Quote:
2. Under George's Bush's watch a huge recession (not seen since the likes of the Great Depression) began first by problems in the housing industry. That recession spread to the financial services sector and has taken many banks down with it. The economic stimulus, TARP, and other programs are much bemoaned, but has been what has prevented a recession from becoming the Great Depression. You think 9.8% unemployment is bad? Try 23%. This happened during the Depression of the 30's. All economic indicators show slow, but steady improvement right now. By summer, this economy will be adding jobs and the unemployment rate will begin to drop. What alot of rightwing sycophants can't get through their small minds is that the real achievement was preventing a catastrophe. Its taken massive deficit spending to do it, but its worked. Years from now, when the economic history of this time is written, economists will say it was the bold action taken by the Federal Reserve, the Treasury, and the President which prevented an economic cataclysm.
Fail.. Bush tried getting a Democratic Congress to take action for years.. Democrats all said Bush didnt know what the heck he was talking about and there was no problem..
Quote:
Its a good thing to decrease the value of a dollar? Well I guess thats true as long as you dont own things of value, like houses, stocks, bonds, treasuries, cash, savings accounts, or get a paycheck. Btw, the decreasing dollar value, began again under Bush.
Quote:
Clearly you are dreaming on numerous accounts.. btw, has waterboarding stopped?
Quote:
Embryonic stem cell research never stopped, freedoms existed for all americans, even those who are gay, (I find it odd that you are discussing freedoms being extended while celebrating Obama limiting actions), as for the bill regulation that prohibits the worst abuses, FAIL.. the bill limited competition, thereby allows MORE absuses.. just different types..
And america was not limited to just old white men.. But sorry you get no brownie points for making up garbage..
Quote:
I wish the economy would get better faster just like everyone else does. However, we are moving in the right direction. The only thing that can upset things is if some of the oafs like Rand Paul get their way.
Right directly? Just just had the summer of recovery take place, while the CBO has said that by 2011 the economic effects of the stimulus will be ZERO, and we are headed into the long term effects of the stimulus which the CBO said would be NEGATIVE.. You call that the right direction?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
In fact if you look at all of the economic statistics, the change in federal minimum wage, instituted by the democratic congress voted into office in Nov 2006, taking office in 2007, ( the last 2 years of Bushes presidency), was the start of the economic downturn.
How do you figure that it was the change in minimum wage that caused the economic downturn, rather than the systemic risk from the unregulated $62.2 TRILLION worth of credit default swaps that we created from 2002-2007, and the trillions in bad mortgages that these CDS were taken out on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies