Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:05 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
First, don't put your money in a bank if you don't like the fact they loan it to your neighbors and others who may need it in the Middle Class you so love.

Second, you are trying to create a society as we see in England where there are two classes; rich and workers. We have seen how well that is working out just last week when people were rioting in the streets when the government annouced it was forced to raise tuition to 14,000 pounds per year. These people get used to their entitlements and when the well begins to go dry, their answwer is to riot. Great

The Beatles earned a ton of money around the world and hid it from the taxman in in England by sheltering it from their greedy politicans sticky fingers. When you tax people on an uneven basis, the wealthy have the means to hide and shelter their income from the robbers in the governemnt. Then the government runs low on money and is left with two choices; tax the workers even more than they do now, or cut back entitlements, both a bitter pill to the working class.
If they did loan it to small people, fine, but it is much harder for small people than for wealthier people to get a credit...

Gee, what gives you that idea? Why would I want anything they have in Britain? Britain is the European country most similar to the US, with similar societal problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 12:06 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Exactly the opposite, we should give as much as possible to all of society and get rid of that primitive tribal and clan thinking. And yes, I do not think it is my responsibility to provide my children, let alone grandchildren with privileges at the expense of the rest of society.
There are so many problems with your statement - most of the fact that "give as much as possible to all of society" means letting our Federal government choose how these funds are allocated. I don't trust any of them, Democrat or Republican. All of society?

Providing inheritance benefits should be our choice. I don't have to provide for my children (or theirs later, if any). But if I have worked a lifetime to grow a nest egg, then I believe I have earned the right to disburse my wealth at death as I see fit. My lifetime of work means I have paid taxes, contributed productivity, probably in excess of the services I have received from government.

To destroy this is a crime.

I think massive wealth might deserve special consideration. But ordinary estates (homes, retirement savings) should be completely exempt from taxes.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
So, then by this logic, all means of state support should not be given to welfare children who didn't do a lick of work to earn it. Logic breakdown
That was what you had written... That conclusion is absolutely not mine.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:09 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,569 times
Quote:
You know, those statistics saying that the top 1% of society owns the bulk of all property...
Prove it. Show us the data.

The fight against government land ownership

Quote:
Why does the federal government own 65 percent of all the land west of Denver and less than 2 percent of the land east of Denver? Who cares?
Everyone should care. The federal government was not created to be the owner of the land; it was created expressly to get the "right of soil" out of the hands of a king – that is, out of the hands of government.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Wrong. I followed your logic. I never wrote that "no child should be given anything", but if I did show me. You wrote it, not me.

The parents would not get the money if they didn't have the children in the welfare system. That is the way it works here. I don't know of a single childless layabout who gets welfare unless they are sick and can't work. Welfare is for mostly CHILDREN, not for the parents. And that's the way it really works here.
Don't tell me you don't get unemployment benefits or food stamps unless you have children

Old 12-21-2010, 12:12 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
When I put money in my bank account, the bank tries to make a profit on it. It does not invest my money in what I want my money to be invested. Banks are by and large parasitic institutions.
So. Don't invest in a bank. Invest in a company that DOES what you want to invest in. Here. Go to www.Socialfunds.com, pick a cause in which you believe, and invest to your hearts content.

Quote:
And yes, all those rich people buying gold like crazy these days are simply withdrawing their money from society.
No, they aren't. They are putting their currency INTO society. The company, or bank, or investor, from which they are buying the gold now has cash. That cash is used to pay their employees, to purchase other investments, to pay taxes. Gold in this instance is no different from any other commodity. Purchasing it creates a transfer of money, and that's the basis of our economy.

Quote:
All people earning by speculation and short-term investments are also not contributing to society, but only trying to extract as much wealth from it as possible.
And their attempts to extract wealth are what fuels the growth & prosperity of those companies in which they invest. A rich guy makes an investment in the hopes of profiting. He risks his money, basically giving it to someone who doesn't have money but has convinced the rich guy that he has an idea for a product or service that people will want to buy. So the rich guy provides the cash so that the idea guy with no money can put his idea into practice. If it works, the idea guy gets paid for his idea and the money guy gets paid for the risk of his money. Everyone wins.

Quote:
While that spending of the rich might seem positive to you, I think it is a problem. It would make much more sense to create a less polarized, more egalitarian society, where the bulk of the spending comes from a strong middle-class.
The spending of the rich creates jobs and income for the not rich. I'm not rich. But when those multimillion dollar bonuses get handed out on Wall Street in January & February, I certainly want the recipients to come to me so they can spend some of it on a better house for their family. Many people will benefit when they do. I'll be one of them, because I sell a service that many of them need.

Here's a great example of how your type of thinking backfires. I found this in the corporate bio of a yacht maker;
Quote:
In the late 1980s fuel costs began to soar and the U.S. economy entered a recession, causing sales of luxury boats to tumble. In January 1991 the struggling industry was dealt a nearly fatal blow when a Congressionally-mandated 10 percent "luxury tax" on the price of boats above $100,000 took effect. Though lawmakers had reasoned that well-heeled boat buyers could easily afford the extra expense, many decided to wait out the law or make their purchases offshore, and American luxury boat sales quickly fell by as much as 75 percent.

The construction of one luxury yacht can keep a crew of 12 working for a year or more. And most of that crew are blue collar workers, not the rich you want to strip of their wealth and ability to spend. So, who did that tax hurt, and who benefitted by the spending of the rich?

Old 12-21-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
That was what you had written... That conclusion is absolutely not mine.
It is a conclusion resulting from your own logic whether you admit it or not here. You cognitive dissonance is amazing.

Cognitive Dissonance

Quote:
<H2>Description
Quote:

This is the feeling of uncomfortable tension which comes from holding two conflicting thoughts in the mind at the same time.

Dissonance increases with:
  • The importance of the subject to us.
  • How strongly the dissonant thoughts conflict.
  • Our inability to rationalize and explain away the conflict.
</H2>

Old 12-21-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Prove it. Show us the data.

The fight against government land ownership

Here for instance, various statistics...
Top 1 Percent Control 42 Percent of Financial Wealth in the U.S. – How Average Americans are Lured into Debt Servitude by Promises of Mega Wealth.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Don't tell me you don't get unemployment benefits or food stamps unless you have children
Unemployment and food stamps are not Welfare. We are referring to WIC here. The only adults who get food stamps are those who can't work for reasons of disability. We are debating children here. Any able bodied person who is ready, able, and willing to work, and has no children, does not qualify for for food stamps.

If your statement were true, the many of the homeless who are physically able to work would be lining up around the block to get their food stamps. Unemployment is only issued to people who have worked and contributed into the system through employer contributions.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
So. Don't invest in a bank. Invest in a company that DOES what you want to invest in. Here. Go to www.Socialfunds.com, pick a cause in which you believe, and invest to your hearts content.

No, they aren't. They are putting their currency INTO society. The company, or bank, or investor, from which they are buying the gold now has cash. That cash is used to pay their employees, to purchase other investments, to pay taxes. Gold in this instance is no different from any other commodity. Purchasing it creates a transfer of money, and that's the basis of our economy.

And their attempts to extract wealth are what fuels the growth & prosperity of those companies in which they invest. A rich guy makes an investment in the hopes of profiting. He risks his money, basically giving it to someone who doesn't have money but has convinced the rich guy that he has an idea for a product or service that people will want to buy. So the rich guy provides the cash so that the idea guy with no money can put his idea into practice. If it works, the idea guy gets paid for his idea and the money guy gets paid for the risk of his money. Everyone wins.

The spending of the rich creates jobs and income for the not rich. I'm not rich. But when those multimillion dollar bonuses get handed out on Wall Street in January & February, I certainly want the recipients to come to me so they can spend some of it on a better house for their family. Many people will benefit when they do. I'll be one of them, because I sell a service that many of them need.

Here's a great example of how your type of thinking backfires. I found this in the corporate bio of a yacht maker;

The construction of one luxury yacht can keep a crew of 12 working for a year or more. And most of that crew are blue collar workers, not the rich you want to strip of their wealth and ability to spend. So, who did that tax hurt, and who benefitted by the spending of the rich?
All that obsession with accumulating wealth is just alien to me, no matter how you try to justify it.

When trying to make a fortune is the motivation for doing things, there is a major problem in my view. I am happy I am not like that.

Your yacht example also shows that it is fatal to relay on a small group. It reminds me on the dependence on tourists here, which makes society as a whole vulnerable to the whims of a few.
That is why the Asians are successful, they produce what the masses need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies