Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times

Advertisements

I have, but it was many years ago when I was young and didn't worry about such things, and I found a new job quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 10:20 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Now, I frequently hear people complaining about the laziness of those on unemployment benefits. On the other hand however, every person I know who has been laid off, has still collected unemployment benefits if they were available. Even people who were near retirement already and rich enough that the benefits were relatively small next to other income streams. Liberals, conservatives, family members and friends--if benefits are available people will take them. Now I do agree that some people use unemployment to some degree in lieu of seriously searching for a job--turning it into fun-employment and had no real desire to find real employment. But I've known plenty of people who faced with the prospect of a lack of income from a steady job were forced to rely on unemployment for survival.

What I'm asking though, is have you or someone you knew actually been unemployed and not collected benefits when they were available?
No. I have known two people who were laid off within the last couple years and both collected the max. One still has no job and is turning to other welfare methods now, and the other worked one day a week (under the table, I think) and when her benefits ran out, she found a full time job.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I have a tenant who is not collecting, and they will run out of cash and not be able to pay rent in a week. Any liberal here want to donate to his rent fund so I dont evict him? Doubt it..
If your tenant is eligible for UI, he needs to apply so that he can pay his rent.

I had one once who had "issues" about "working for the man" and would just do odd/under the table type of jobs. My liberal leanings didn't prevent me from doing what needed to be done when he couldn't make rent.

AS for UI myself...well hell. I thought I wasn't eligible as a stockholder in a medium sized family business, but it seems I may be, since I received a salary and I see from looking over my pay stubs that UI tax was taken out. (It's seasonal; we don't work in the winter.)

E-Bay here I come. I'll be taking Spiced Hot Cocoa bubble baths on a nightly basis

Old 12-21-2010, 12:42 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Now, I frequently hear people complaining about the laziness of those on unemployment benefits. On the other hand however, every person I know who has been laid off, has still collected unemployment benefits if they were available. Even people who were near retirement already and rich enough that the benefits were relatively small next to other income streams. Liberals, conservatives, family members and friends--if benefits are available people will take them. Now I do agree that some people use unemployment to some degree in lieu of seriously searching for a job--turning it into fun-employment and had no real desire to find real employment. But I've known plenty of people who faced with the prospect of a lack of income from a steady job were forced to rely on unemployment for survival.

What I'm asking though, is have you or someone you knew actually been unemployed and not collected benefits when they were available?
I got laid off in 2007. I could have drawn unemployement after working for the same company for eighteen and half years. Instead I used my savings and started working for myself.

I've never drawn an unemployment check in my life.

I don't begrudge anybody drawing unemployment if they honestly need the money. I do have problem with people laying on their *sses collectiing checks and making no attempt to seek gainful employment.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
I have turned down Unemployment. It made for a tight budget until I got a new job but I only went 3 weeks before I found not 1 but 2 jobs.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:26 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
have you or someone you knew actually been unemployed and not collected benefits when they were available?
Yes, I have. I was laid off in late '06. I was eligible for unemployment that I chose not to collect.

--swagger
Walkin' the walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies