Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:19 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
you just want to get high legally, plain and simple. You aren't fooling anyone.
I said from the beginning it's all a sham, and even said "I like to get stoned" a few minutes ago. So, no duh!! I figured admitting to that would make you listen, since I'm obviously not trying to justify anything. I can't argue with a brick wall, so instead I'll recommend doing some more research on the topic.

Btw, migraines (whether typical or visual) ARE different from a standard headache... they come along with a whole slew of other symptoms, including nausea/vomiting, sensitivity to light, loss of appetite, etc. And guess what? All of those symptoms are proven to be helped by marijuana. I didn't get my prescription for migraines, so I don't need to convince anyone of anything - just trying to educate you on the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 01:32 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post

Why can't the people just come out and say it? I think the movement loses credibility when you see people with dreadlocks and Bob Marley t-shirts skateboarding up to their local dispensary and it's all protected under the guise of "medical" marijuana. Everybody knows that those types of people are using for recreational purposes and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. So why is the issue tip-toed around?
Basically, people are going to abuse the medicinal status of mj (to be expected) just like people abuse prescriptions for pharmaceuticals. So many substances have that contradictory status of being helpful in a medicinal way but too tantalizing for abuse. Mdma is a great example. Started off as a legitimate substance used in therapy and look at where it is now.

I don't doubt that those who have no medical need for mj (such need can range from pms to cancer) will find a way to get prescriptions so that they can use it recreationally. No surprise really, but yeah, they probably should stop calling it medicine.

Although, perhaps their toking does serve as a medicinal antidote to daily living, who knows.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
For most, the term "medicine" is used tongue-in-cheek. Like taking a nip of something "for medicinal purposes".

Old 12-21-2010, 04:23 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Also, isn't it kind of convenient for you that you have 2 issues that can not be proven? Yeah RLS and migraines. The 2 things you can lie about and nobody would ever know. Just admit it, you don't have those things and just wanted medical MJ. There is medication for migraines, if you even have them, that works. Don't even try that excuse that MJ is the only thing that works. Actually MJ CAUSES headaches if over used. You aren't fooling anyone.
Um, if you don't have it, you can't know it happens.

Migraines are well known to science and doctors. I have had them since I was a child. I used to have shots of something when I was younger. My head felt like it was going to explode. My grandmother has them, my dad has them, I have them.

RLS feels like someone took the tendon in front of your leg, wraps it around their finger, and pulls up on it. Most of the time its just an annoyance, but periodically its so bad I've got to get out of bed at night and walk around for an hour and try and get it to go away.

Both of these are more frequent and severe when I'm not using marijuana. RLS does have medicine I haven't tried, I'll admit. But I have to wonder, why should I go and take a pill for something, when there is a medicine I can take that grows naturally with no side effects?

Migraines I've taken everything. Nothing helps me. My grandmother is on some experimental treatment now. My dad smokes pot to deal with his. I don't like to smoke it, bad for you to smoke, so I make butter and vaporize mine.

You can make fun of my condition all you want, really, I don't care. If you don't have it though, you can't possibly know what its like.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
One thing I don't understand about the legalization of marijuana movement is this whole run-around of it being called "medicine". I have watched many documentaries (most of them being based in California) where the words marijuana, weed, pot, and even cannabis are used incredibly sparsely throughout the entire film. Instead they insert the word "medicine" even in places where it sounds ridiculous. For instance, there's a clip where a guy is holding up a gigantic bud and he's telling the camera, "this medicine was grown...", and it just sounds stupid. Occasionally the film will use the word "cannabis" because apparently it somehow sounds more professional and acceptable. And when politicians are talking about marijuana and "medicinal" marijuana they are literally talking about two different things.

So why is the issue tip-toed around?
I'm not interested in what they call it or what it is used for. Let people excercise freewill and be responsible for their own bodies and minimize government interference.

Legalize it. That would end the tip-toeing around.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Your point? We have a lot of medicine that we take orally.
True, but they aren't usually found in nature in plant form that is easily smokable at very little cost. If they were, we would probably be having this convo about them too.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:46 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. I have personally tried a few "real" migraine medications, and they made me extremely sick... anything aspirin-based makes me vomit, and one drug caused heart palpitations & this intense paralyzing sensation - that one was quite scary, actually. Marijuana is more effective, and as Memphis said above, the only side-effect is craving brownies.
The herb Feverfew is effective in treating migraines.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:00 AM

131 posts, read 209,120 times
Marinol isn't as good, I thought.

Anyways, medical marijuana denier types confuse me. Why don't you listen to what research says? I read something from a study the British government did a wihle back, maybe I can find it... To paraphrase:

It has so many medical uses it could be as ubiquitous as aspirin someday.

But no, of course, people jsut want to get high. Nobody wants to help people with AIDS, cancer, post-polio...

Psilocybes are being looked at to treat cluster headaches. Woohoo!

Old 12-22-2010, 01:03 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The herb Feverfew is effective in treating migraines.
Thanks for the tip... looks like it also treats other conditions I have (namely osteoarthritis), so it might be worth looking into. Although upon doing a little research, the side-effects and possible allergic reactions worry me - so I'd have to ask my doctor before trying it.

"Side effects from feverfew can include abdominal pain, indigestion, flatulence (yikes! LOL), diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and nervousness. Mouth ulcers, loss of taste, and swelling of the lips, tongue, and mouth may occur in some individuals who chew raw feverfew leaves. Rarely, allergic reactions to feverfew have also been reported. In fact, people with allergies to chamomile, ragweed, or yarrow will likely be allergic to feverfew and, therefore, should not take it." (that last part worries me the most, since I am allergic to chamomile)

See why I prefer weed over anything else? Side effects are minimal if anything (none in my case), and it's extremely rare for anyone to have allergic reactions... someone like myself who's allergic to SOOOO much has to be really careful. People will often say "it's an herb/natural, so you don't have to worry," but they forget many people are allergic to specific herbs & plants. For example, haven't they ever heard of hay fever?

Old 12-22-2010, 01:17 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Thanks for the tip... looks like it also treats other conditions I have (namely osteoarthritis), so it might be worth looking into. Although upon doing a little research, the side-effects and possible allergic reactions worry me - so I'd have to ask my doctor before trying it.

"Side effects from feverfew can include abdominal pain, indigestion, flatulence (yikes! LOL), diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and nervousness. Mouth ulcers, loss of taste, and swelling of the lips, tongue, and mouth may occur in some individuals who chew raw feverfew leaves. Rarely, allergic reactions to feverfew have also been reported. In fact, people with allergies to chamomile, ragweed, or yarrow will likely be allergic to feverfew and, therefore, should not take it." (that last part worries me the most, since I am allergic to chamomile)

See why I prefer weed over anything else? Side effects are minimal if anything (none in my case), and it's extremely rare for anyone to have allergic reactions... someone like myself who's allergic to SOOOO much has to be really careful. People will often say "it's an herb/natural, so you don't have to worry," but they forget many people are allergic to specific herbs & plants. For example, haven't they ever heard of hay fever?
Feverfew has an approximate 70% success rate and the side effects occur in only a relatively few people.

And it's not a mind-altering drug. No carcinogens, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies