Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:05 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Has there ever been a recent military conflict that was initiated by the middle class tax paying public.
No, but those are the majority of the people that are giving the ultimate sacrifice. It makes this Vet very very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

9,949 posts, read 8,850,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
And I'd say its wrong for corporations to take advantage of workers to fatten their pocketbook or take advantage the environment to further their riches. If corporations shared your thoughts about right and wrong, we would require alot less govt. to police greedy people that do those types of things.

Those that benefit from the system the most ought to pay more into the system because they benefit more from the system.

We have had income redistributed for a long time in this country. It has being going upward to the top earners and their ancestors for awhile now.

Poverty is getting worse in this country not better.

Fair or not, I don't think a family of 4 that is making less than $25,000/yr. should pay any income tax. Talk about really trying to keep someone down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
But is it fair that my tax dollars go to pay for special interests of large corporations that makes tons of
money on getting us involved in military conflicts
that I have no interest in? Has there ever been a recent military conflict that was initiated by the middle class tax paying public.
I should have expected a subject change when you couldn't win the argument. I agree that corporations should also pay more in taxes and should lose a lot of loopholes but that's not what we were talking about now is it?

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Income taxes are garbage to begin with. There should be a progressive sales tax. and if they are going to have an income tax, keep it low and flat with a cut-off at $40k for singles and $65k for couples. There should also be no inheritence tax under x amount of the total value of things received.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:06 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I should have expected a subject change when you couldn't win the argument. I agree that corporations should also pay more in taxes and should lose a lot of loopholes but that's not what we were talking about now is it?
What loopholes do you disagree with???

Old 12-21-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Income taxes are garbage to begin with. There should be a progressive sales tax. and if they are going to have an income tax, keep it low and flat with a cut-off at $40k for singles and $65k for couples. There should also be no inheritence tax under x amount of the total value of things received.
I somewhat agree, I would love to see a flat consumption tax with simple exemptions for food and things like that. Do away with income tax, it's too easy to cheat the system.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What loopholes do you disagree with???
Any loophole that allows a 50 billion dollar a year corporation to pay no federal taxes while collecting grants from the government to do research which in turn earns them more money. I'm all for big business, I support the free market but there are a lot of companies out there paying out millions in bonuses while paying no taxes to this country.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Any loophole that allows a 50 billion dollar a year corporation to pay no federal taxes while collecting grants from the government to do research which in turn earns them more money. I'm all for big business, I support the free market but there are a lot of companies out there paying out millions in bonuses while paying no taxes to this country.
Then you do not feel wages should be deducted?? Many times those bonus are part of the contract.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Then you do not feel wages should be deducted?? Many times those bonus are part of the contract.
If a bonus is a part of a person's compensation package then they're entitled to it BUT most bonus situations are dependent on teh company's profitability or some specific target amount to reach in sales or whatever. I know my bonus is based on the overall performance of the company I work for along with my individual performance. If a company is performing well enough that they can afford to pay out millions in bonuses then they can clearly afford to pay taxes without hiding money overseas or using loopholes to pay nothing.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
If a bonus is a part of a person's compensation package then they're entitled to it BUT most bonus situations are dependent on teh company's profitability or some specific target amount to reach in sales or whatever. I know my bonus is based on the overall performance of the company I work for along with my individual performance. If a company is performing well enough that they can afford to pay out millions in bonuses then they can clearly afford to pay taxes without hiding money overseas or using loopholes to pay nothing.
I am not good a corporate tax law.

Most the businesses in the US small S Corp and sole proprietor.

Without those deductions either prices would raise or, they would go out of business.

IMO, in time both would happen.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:26 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Whenever someone suggests that we should tax the rich more, people state that the rich are already paying a huge amount of the taxes. Therefore, it's not fair to make them pay more taxes.

However, if you ask the same people why life's playing fields are not equal, they'll say that life is not fair and that the unfortunate should just deal with it.

Basically, they're using fairness as a reason for not increasing taxes on the rich, but simultaneously completely ignoring the lack of fairness in other parts of society.
The whole argument is honestly a strawman. One has nothing to do with the other.

Even if it did, I don't think that's hypocritical. The gov't taking someone's money is not the same as someone being dealt a hand in life. It's up to the person to make his life what he wants it to be and play his hand well, even if it's a crappy hand. The gov't taxing the rich at a higher percentage (and the poor at a lower percentage or not at all) does not give the person a choice. I suppose it's a choice to make more money, but why does it make sense that more of your money should be taken away just b/c you work harder than the next guy or make better business or investment decisions? It's not necessarily about being fair, it's about making common sense.

I still don't understand how people do not realize that a percentage is a percentage, if I make more money, even if I am taxed at the same rate, I still pay more. It's a basic mathematical concept, but yet people still demand the rich pay upward of 50% of their income while the poor pay literally nothing and then turn around to receive money out of the system (so they are causing a deficit for the gov't).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies