Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Well, this is true & very sad that the poor kids had the misfortune to be born to an idiot.
Hence my suggestion for an alternative.
My concern was for the kids and if the mother proved her worth those kids would have been back with her within 6 months.'
And if the mother did nothing..well that just shows that she didn't care enough and then the kids would be better off somewhere else.

As a mother myself the last thing you want is your kids taken away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 03:51 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,382,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Boston Globe special series: The Other Welfare: SSI
The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program for children was created mainly for those with severe physical disabilities. But the $10 billion in federal benefit checks now goes primarily to indigent children with behavioral, learning and mental conditions. Qualifying is not always easy -- many applicants believe it is essential that a child needs to be on psychotropic drugs to qualify. But once enrolled, there is little incentive to get off. And officials rarely check to see if the children are getting better.
As a former teacher I'm familiar with this program. Many times I had to write a letter to verify whether a child actually had the disability. I had to include behavioral observations, school attendance records, and other things I've forgotten. Sometimes I got the impression that the kids were being "tutored" so they would continue to receive checks.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:52 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,800,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I am not naive to believe in a perfect world. I just want to find a way to get some of these leaches off the public dole.

If you read my previous post you will see that I worked in these roach infested areas and know full well what is going on.

What is your solution? We can't just keep going the way we are. If 10% secede that is better than 0%.

A lot of programs are offered (I posted a web site with many fed training programs) but, none are mandatory. Most of the programs out there are not in the community where these people live.

Something has to be done. If you don't like my idea fine. Submit your own or offer improvements to mine.

Don't just post everything is hopeless and complain.
Hidden racism can be detected in this post. I don't care what you might say but anyone who calls people roaches can't be all compassionate. Christian nation my..
You just nailed the problem and didn't even know it. You stated the porgrams are not in the communities where they live. Makes a big difference then,doesn't it?
Btw",these people" are Americans just like you.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:05 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,092,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The scam is to SELL your food stamps for pennies on the dollar for cash that can then be spent wherever.
Several gas stations in the bad section of town will ring items up as "food" so the person can use their EBT card to purchase alcohol and cigarettes/blunts. They give them like 60 cents on the dollar so the store owner ends up profiting and the welfare person still gets their goodies.

I've heard also about the ones that offer to purchase your groceries with their EBT card if you give them cash, although nobody has ever approached me with that nonsense.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Just as some believed TSA wouldn't stop at airports, neither would removing children from homes whenever certain politicians deemed it "tough love".

Take the kids because the parents are idiots would turn into a much bigger deal & those who are FOR something like the removal of the children, should then be prepared that it could happen to them.

What if the government decided children had to removed because the parent smoke pot, or cigarettes?
Do you really believe it would be THAT far removed?
Parents who are not treating their kids properly SHOULD have their kids removed. That's how I know it would never happen to me (and probably most of the people you're addressing with your statement), so the point is moot.

FYI: The children can currently be removed if the parent is found to be smoking pot. DCF does not take drug use lightly.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:12 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,312,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Several gas stations in the bad section of town will ring items up as "food" so the person can use their EBT card to purchase alcohol and cigarettes/blunts. They give them like 60 cents on the dollar so the store owner ends up profiting and the welfare person still gets their goodies.

I've heard also about the ones that offer to purchase your groceries with their EBT card if you give them cash, although nobody has ever approached me with that nonsense.
No need to go through that hassle in Illinois. You can get cash back from your LINK card here.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Hence my suggestion for an alternative.
My concern was for the kids and if the mother proved her worth those kids would have been back with her within 6 months.'
And if the mother did nothing..well that just shows that she didn't care enough and then the kids would be better off somewhere else.
This is actually how the system works when kids are removed for one reason or another. The parent has six months to shape up, in most cases, or else they are TPRed (termination of parental rights).

Quote:
As a mother myself the last thing you want is your kids taken away.
You'd be surprised. It's quite unfortunate.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Hidden racism can be detected in this post. I don't care what you might say but anyone who calls people roaches can't be all compassionate. Christian nation my..
You just nailed the problem and didn't even know it. You stated the porgrams are not in the communities where they live. Makes a big difference then,doesn't it?
Btw",these people" are Americans just like you.
I believe the poster was referring literally to roaches. The assumption is that there are roaches in poor areas due to not being kept up properly....

I saw no racism whatever in that post, or really anywhere in this entire thread.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:17 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,821,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
No need to go through that hassle in Illinois. You can get cash back from your LINK card here.
Cute but it's not cash from the foodstamps portion - jeeeeez
Quote:
you may also use your card to get cash from your cash benefits

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-24-2010 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 12-24-2010, 08:06 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,312,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Cute but it's not cash from the foodstamps portion - jeeeeez
Yeah, so you find that something you're buying isn't "allowed" for purchase on you LINK card, so you do the cashback withdrawal and pay for it that way. That was my point, but thanks for your snarkiness!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-24-2010 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies