Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Since I am not religious and do not believe in the Jesus myth, there is no reason for me to celebrate the day. It would be hypocritical.

I like nature and respect the changing of the seasons and how it impacts the cycle of life, so I celebrate the Solstice. I am not Pagan either, but it makes a lot more sense to me.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 08:55 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default Christmas, religion, and celebrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Since I am not religious and do not believe in the Jesus myth, there is no reason for me to celebrate the day. It would be hypocritical.

I like nature and respect the changing of the seasons and how it impacts the cycle of life, so I celebrate the Solstice. I am not Pagan either, but it makes a lot more sense to me.
I am not an adherent of any organized religion either, but I celebrate Christmas and think of it as a secular holiday. Not that I have a tree at home, but I do receive and send Christmas cards - mine do not have an overtly religious message. I think it's possible to enjoy the festive nature of the holiday and get together with family without getting tensed up about religion. I just politely ignore talk from religious zealots about not forgetting "the reason for the season".

As alluded to already upthread, one can be a Christian and still refuse to celebrate Christmas based on the opinion that the time of year is wrong because the tradition is pagan, and it's somehow not "pure" Christianity to make this concession to paganism. Now to me that is laughable hair-splitting, but I have a female cousin like that who makes a big deal about how she doesn't want to receive Christmas cards from people, etc. (and she is super religious). I wish she would just relax and enjoy the fact that people would think of her enough to send a card. Her fanaticism turns me off.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:01 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I don't understand why people feel like they have to make an announcement about not doing something.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:55 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I like the Jewish custom of celebrating Christmas, by going out to your favorite Chinese Restaurant!!!!

Old 12-24-2010, 06:25 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I understand completely--I would say I don't ordinarily make a big deal of it. If I'm in a relationship, I may get a small gift for my SO, but we're not going to spend so much as $20 on each other. It's not much different from any other time, when we might get each other gifts "just because". There's never been a lot of money to waste on such things though.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:27 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Eh, like I've said before, Christmas in America is more a celebration of consumerism than Christianity.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:04 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I like the Jewish custom of celebrating Christmas, by going out to your favorite Chinese Restaurant!!!!

That's what we did last night! We happened to pick a Chinese restaurant in a heavily Jewish neighborhood (since we had tickets for a show nearby), and it was SOOO crowded we didn't even get our darned meal. Two hours of sitting there, and all we got was a salad & two appetizers before calling it quits - as we didn't want to miss the show. Lesson for next year? Pick a Chinese restaurant in a neighborhood with fewer of our people.

All I can say now is that I'm glad Christmas is over... I think December 26th is my favorite day of the year, LOL. And that's not because I dislike the holiday itself, I just hate all the BS that usually surrounds it. So today I will celebrate 364 days of freedom from the drama - or at least 300ish days, since it generally begins after Halloween.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I wish he responded:

1) Yes. Since we do no xmas shopping we're always done. Instead we take the money and invest it instead of blowing it on junk that will end up on the bottom of teh closet.

2) No, We're comfortable with what we buy; We have no need for silly customs based on supernatural events. Traditions and superstitions are not a basis for making wise purchasing decisions.

3) Celebrate xmas? Why? Because you've been brainwashed to think the birth of some obscure person (from stories in a troublingly inconsistent book of myths) is god? We simply aren't that delusional.
I don't think the way to combat ignorance is to propagate it either.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
I'm not Christian.

I do not believe Jesus was the Messiah.

We celebrate Christmas in my home. Just the secular side of it. Not hypocritical in the least.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:29 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Why do folks seem to think it weird if you dont celebrate christmas ? My husband was asked yesterday at work , have you done all your christmas shopping ? my husband says well we dont have anyone to buy for . Then the co worker asked "oh dont you and your wife exchange gifts and he replied "no we dont have the money this year " . Then the co worker was like oh .She then said " I dont think I could live in a household who does not celebrate christmas .
What is the big deal about christmas ? some people just dont care to celebrate .I dont celebrate because of stuff my mother did every christmas to us kids and I dont care to elaborate . Is anyone else out there not celebrating christmas ?
I'd say... "one-sidedness and disrespect for the beliefs of others"... covers it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies