Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
So why do they call themselves "African Americans"? In America, white people for example are just, white. They are not European-American.
Why are you concerned about what people call themselves?
In that case, why do people call themselves "white" when they are "light brown"?

why is it that people always complain about "African Americans"
but never say a word about all the people that call themselves "Irish-American", "Italian-American" or "German-American"

Old 12-22-2010, 09:43 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
It IS stupid imho - I'm pretty sure my grandchildren won't be calling themselves Australian-American.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
What's your point? Most blacks couldn't trace their lines even if they wanted to. Between family getting auctioned off again and again and having children by multiple fathers (including by the masters and their sons) and Africans in America having no culture for hundreds of years other than being property... whats your point? Africans were never "assimilated" either. Assimilation entails cultural exchange between two groups where one ultimately sees itself as part of the more dominant culture. Unless slavery is supposed to be America's "cultural export" I don't see where you're getting the word assimilation from, and especially after blacks were legally barred from assimilating into mainstream american culture (read: white culture) for another 100 years after the end of slavery. At least call it what it was and don't sugarcoat it with the label "assimilation".

There's very few immigrant cultures that were ever "assimilated" anyway. Most European immigrants ran into some of the same issues although not on the level that african americans did.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:46 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,646 times
Quote:
So why do they call themselves "African Americans"? In America, white people for example are just, white. They are not European-American.

In my opinion its disrespectful (and borderline ignorant) to call oneself "African American" if you know absolutely nothing about the place (and most american blacks make no attempt to know) and have no cultural or linguistic ties to it.

The real African Americans are just African immigrants. Most American born blacks (aka the descendants of slaves brought over) have no right to call themselves that. Its just dumb and politically correct with no connection to reality.

BTW I'm a black guy lol.

Discuss.
So, what's your point?

- Italian Americans know nothing about Italy

- German Americans know nothing about Germany

- Irish Americans no nothing about Ireland

- And the list goes on....

Also, would a Moderator please wake up and close this stupid, troll thread.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
They speak African American.
C'mon thats just retarded and you know that.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times
Most "African-Americans" Know Nothing About Africa

And most Americans know nothing about American History .. So What's Your Point?

/epic thread fail/ ..

Old 12-22-2010, 09:56 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
why is it that people always complain about "African Americans"
but never say a word about all the people that call themselves "Irish-American", "Italian-American" or "German-American"
Because atleast they have some sort of vague connection to Germany, or Italy or Ireland. Usually through their names, family traditions, history, trinkets etc.

"African-americans" have no connection whatsoever and the other part is most don't want to build a connection (through finding out more about Africa, visiting etc) yet still want to call themselves "African-american".

I an bringing this up because many African immigrants I know bring this up and prefer to call black americans just black. They say we have nothing in common. It makes no sense to them either.

I've always just been black or American. IMO retarded to say I'm African-american. I might visit Africa one day but I'm not going to front and call myself something I have no real connection to and honestly know little to nothing about.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:01 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,280 times
Quote:

In my opinion its disrespectful (and borderline ignorant) to call oneself "African American" if you know absolutely nothing about the place (and most american blacks make no attempt to know) and have no cultural or linguistic ties to it.

The real African Americans are just African immigrants. Most American born blacks (aka the descendants of slaves brought over) have no right to call themselves that. Its just dumb and politically correct with no connection to reality.

BTW I'm a black guy lol.

Discuss.
Speaking of generalizations. A growing number of Black People/African Americans that consider themselves middle class, upwardly mobile, or pretending to be these things are seemingly full of self hate and loathing.

I've witnessed Black/African Americans so disdainful of themselves and/or other Blacks/African Americans that they are more racist and judgemental than the 1950's Klan, you seem to be moving along those lines, are you??

Your first and incorrect generalization is that white people don't identify themselves according to their lineage to a specific European country.

Almost every white ethnic group in this country has a club, society, neighborhood or area of a city where they share common ties of heritage, language , etc.

Greek town, little Italy, Mexican village were called those things for a reason. How many Italian business are painted the colors of the Italian flag or fly the Italian flag outside their business, how many German establishments do the same. How many federal holidays do we have celebrating a particular European ethnic group??

Your second assumption is that MOST Blacks/African Americans KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about Africa, do you really see how stereotypical and arrogant this statement is, where is your evidence or proof that most of us know nothing of Africa, how much do you know of Africa and if you know anything of it, what makes you think most others don't.

Blacks/African Americans have no cultural ties to Africa......the color of your skin is the greatest proof and bond you have to Africa. You may wish to ignore that but I won't argue with someone who insists on pissing in the wind.
My cultural tie to Africa is that hundreds of years ago someone with my DNA had the physical and psychological fortitude to survive the middle passage when so many didn't, that same person or persons endured overwhelming physical and mental torment and managed to pass on their DNA into what helped create who I am today.

Just because you don't know the name or place of your African ancestors doesn't mean they never existed or that you are not connected to them.

I wonder why we as a people are so ignorant of so many things that made us into who we are, no other group of people does this.

I speak very proper English, I'm well read, well educated and interact with many diverse groups of people, at no time do I attempt to cast off my "Blackness" in order to be accepted.

I call myself a Black man and would never be so arrogant as to dictate to others who call themselves "African American" dumb, I believe that casts more light on the person making such a proclamation than anything else.

Last edited by reconmark; 12-22-2010 at 10:21 PM..

Old 12-22-2010, 10:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:

I've always just been black or American. IMO retarded to say I'm African-american. I might visit Africa one day but I'm not going to front and call myself something I have no real connection to and honestly know little to nothing about.
Then don't do it.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:08 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
Quote:
Because atleast they have some sort of vague connection to Germany, or Italy or Ireland. Usually through their names, family traditions, history, trinkets etc.

"African-americans" have no connection whatsoever and the other part is most don't want to build a connection (through finding out more about Africa, visiting etc) yet still want to call themselves "African-american".

I an bringing this up because many African immigrants I know bring this up and prefer to call black americans just black. They say we have nothing in common. It makes no sense to them either.

I'm half African and half African-American.

Most Africans outside of South Africa don't have the first clue about any of the dynamics in play in the USA.

My dad did not see himself as "black" until he came here and good ol' oldschool America tried to put a foot up his African ass. Africans are in less of a position to understand race dynamics concerning black Americans than White Americans are. There's been a stereotype going around that Africans are more successful in general than black americans. Could it be because they didn't have a media machine to tell them that everything about them is worthless/disgusting? My dad to this day refuses to get an American citizenship on the grounds that its that extra superficial layer between him and America that allows him to not let the racist **** he experiences in his job and outside of it get to his head. I would wonder if something so superficial could do volumes for Black Americans as a whole... that was essentially the purpose of the BPP. Blacks at the time knew that they had to fight for their rights if they wanted them and would not stand to be called "Americans" until they had American freedoms. And one wonders why so many people take the Michelle Obama comment (sometimes I'm not proud...) out of context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies