Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2010, 05:03 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I disagree.

Like I said, the Holiday started as a purely religious festival. Since then, it has grown leaps and bounds and is inclusive of everyone, Christian or not. It has a secular side to it.

I know many Jews and Muslims that happily celebrate Xmas, mostly becuase it has worked it's way into our secular lives, and because they get time off work. Everyone gets to feel the joy of the season, whether they believe in Jesus or not.

Your sarcasm aside, what does Santa, Frosty, and egg nog have to do with Christ? Nothing. What do they have to do with Christmas? Everything.

I get to celebrate OUR holiday without being co-opted into YOUR religion.

Christmas belongs to everyone.

But since you are so caught up on etymology. Yes, Chrismas has the word Christ in there. Pancake has the word Pan in there, but I still cook mine on a griddle. Good think I am a bit more flexible than you, and am willing to call them pancakes regardless.
Try peddling similar claptrap about Kwanzaa or Hannakah and see how far you get.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:44 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Christmas was not originally a Christian holiday. It was a pagan holiday to celebrate the witner solstice. It was not founded on Christianity. Even the most devout Christians know this fact. Case closed.
CHRISTMAS originated with the birth of Christ.

Yule/winter solstice was a pagan tradition.

Not the same thing.

Case closed.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:03 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Try peddling similar claptrap about Kwanzaa or Hannakah and see how far you get.
I don't need too. American culture doesn't revolve around Kwanzaa or Hannakuh.

Why, did you get Kwanzaa time off this year at work?

Old 12-24-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Very true but it gets silly when people start saying---"What does Jesus have to do with Christmas" and become ignorant. By the way X is the Greek sign for Christ, just to educate some.
No it's not. X is the letter X. The X they use to represent Christ is chi, the 22nd letter of the Greek alphabet. In Greek, Christ's name just happens to have chi as the first letter.

My name is Jay, but it's just a coincedence that the first letter of my name is also how my name is pronounced.

chi is just chi, it is used as an abbreviation by some Christians, but it's not like the Greeks had a special word for Christ. It's just the first letter of the mans name.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Duh;itis a Christain holiday afterall. But then again they have freedom of speech ;no matter what liberals would like.
yes yes, liberals are the devil. that is why almost every liberal on this board has said they don't care what Fox does.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:20 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
CHRISTMAS originated with the birth of Christ.

Yule/winter solstice was a pagan tradition.

Not the same thing.

Case closed.
HaHaHaHa

Whew! Thanks for the laugh.

Can you believe that some people are so ignorant as to actually believe that this is true.

ah..hah hah...

Old 12-24-2010, 06:36 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,040 times
Ok- ELEVEN PAGES of this thread and no one sees the OP's point?
The issue is not Christmas. The issue is that Fox is supposed to be a reporter of the NEWS. 10-20 years ago no decent journalist organization would be spouting so much opinion and pandering and still call themselves the news.
Christians may be happy now that Fox is promoting their agenda. But they should be upset...the next "news" organization that gets popular may be promoting something very different.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:59 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
The issue is not Christmas. The issue is that Fox is supposed to be a reporter of the NEWS. 10-20 years ago no decent journalist organization would be spouting so much opinion and pandering and still call themselves the news.
Christians may be happy now that Fox is promoting their agenda. But they should be upset...the next "news" organization that gets popular may be promoting something very different.
Nothin' says, "We're not a real news show" better than pushin' scriptures....

Old 12-24-2010, 07:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Has anyone else noticed this? Comments?
yes, and what would you have me say? personally i think it is a good idea. and since fox news is a cable channel, and a private corporation, they can do what they wish in this regard.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:27 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Thank you

Expect for a (given what we have seen) surprising post like yours, I'm done here in view of what the thread has become. I have invited the mods to close it, but I guess they chose not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies