Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:44 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times

Advertisements

Well for people who believed a so call God created everything then is not interested in the creation He/She created I can't believe they would be smart. I think they were too smart to believe that kind of thing. I can't believe they would even put "God" into their writings. Who cares about that kind of God? Plus a lot of them went to church, we do know that? They went to Christian churches. There is just too many conflicts to believe this.

If Diets believed God does not care about us they sure were careful to allow for worship in America. Freedom of religion/religions were a main theme of their writings. Why would they care if they did not want religion to thrive here? They must have known religion was essential for a free country.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:54 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Absolutely positively have noticed it, and have commented on it on other sites. A big thumbs up to Fox for this. In this era of touchy feely PC I hope that the secular/progressives, atheists, ACLU, and Muslims are watching and are highly "offended". In your face, that is just too bad. Some groups seem to forget that this is a Christian nation founded on Judeo/Christian principles and need to be reminded every now and then.
Here's some food for thought... I'm Jewish, which is part of the "Judeo/Christian" designation, and I don't agree with public displays of the Lord's name. In fact, it goes against our most basic principles, hence the reason we typically write "G-d" (and a variety of Hebrew alternative names) instead of the full name. We generally think Christians are blasphemous for their flagrant use of the name, and their desire to flaunt it everywhere.

Considering your religion (Christianity) was based on ours (Judaism), don't you feel hypocritical with such a stance? Doesn't the Old Testament say not to display His name except in holy documents, as it could be destroyed or tarnished by a non-believer? To summarize, please don't include us in this debate, as most of us would definitely not agree with posting the Lord's name on a television screen - we also won't whine & cry about it, but if you're asking, we'd say it is rather ignorant and blasphemous. So just call this a CHRISTIAN issue, and leave the Judeo out of it please.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:58 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well for people who believed a so call God created everything then is not interested in the creation He/She created I can't believe they would be smart. I think they were too smart to believe that kind of thing. I can't believe they would even put "God" into their writings. Who cares about that kind of God? Plus a lot of them went to church, we do know that? They went to Christian churches. There is just too many conflicts to believe this.

If Diets believed God does not care about us they sure were careful to allow for worship in America. Freedom of religion/religions were a main theme of their writings. Why would they care if they did not want religion to thrive here? They must have known religion was essential for a free country.
Not really.

It makes perfect logical sense that if there was a god he wouldn't care about humans. Do you care about what ants are up too? Do you care if a sect of amoebas worship you? If a god had enough power and wisdom to create an infinite universe, then it makes him sort of petty if he needs to be constantly praised by his creations.

Many of the founding fathers went to church yes and were very religious. Many of them didn't go at all. Many of them went to church because it was a societal norm. Many went because they are politicians and that means going to church to meet voters. They also probably went to swap meets, and town hall meetings, and supermarket openings. That's what politicians do to get elected. Both Obama and McCain spoke to Jewish league voters, neither of them are Jewish.

If you actually READ what the founding fathers wrote however, you will begin to get a better understanding of them. Thomas Jefferson compared Christianity to mythology. George Washington specifically said that America was NOT a christian country, and that people of all faith were welcome here, specifically Muslims. Ben Franklin was openly dismissive of all religion and dogma.

The founding fathers were careful to allow for worship in America because they didn't care if people worshipped, they only cared if people were free. They largely believed religion to be a private matter. However, being intelligent, and living in a time where many Americans were taxed and penalized for NOT ATTENDING church, the founders decided to write it into the constitution "that congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion". Freedom of Religion and freedom from religion was a reoccuring theme they touched on, but it most definately was not a "main theme" as you say it is.

Also, I disagree with you that religion is essential for a free country. There are numerous free countries right now, that are frankly doing a lot better than America, where Atheism is predominant in the populace.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 AM

Christianity is based on Judeo teachings but it changed with Jesus. The early fathers of the church changed ways to worship. You know gentiles who joined the church were allowed to be uncircumcised. Many things changed. Most people can respect others and their beliefs and that is what we do. I think it is strange to write G-d but I respect your belief. At least you don't want to see those who say God be killed for disrespect.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Christianity is based on Judeo teachings but it changed with Jesus. The early fathers of the church changed ways to worship. You know gentiles who joined the church were allowed to be uncircumcised. Many things changed. Most people can respect others and their beliefs and that is what we do. I think it is strange to write G-d but I respect your belief. At least you don't want to see those who say God be killed for disrespect.
My point wasn't whether or not you agree with our practices, since I quite frankly don't care if you find it "weird"... kind of strange you'd say that, however, considering that practice comes straight from the Bible. Have you ever read the OT or Torah? But my point was that you can't call this a JUDEO-Christian issue, as most Jews will disagree with plastering His name all over the place. Especially on FOX News, considering 75-80% of Jewish Americans vote Democrat.

But no, we don't want anyone killed for their beliefs... however, the Christians seem to enjoy forcing their beliefs upon others, which once again goes against basic Judeo principles. Seems you've all forgotten the book on which yours was based upon, huh? Yeah yeah, I know Jesus changed everything, so again please stop calling these Judeo-Christian principles - as we have very little in common these days. In fact, I'd rather be associated with Buddhism at this point.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Not really.

It makes perfect logical sense that if there was a god he wouldn't care about humans. Do you care about what ants are up too? Do you care if a sect of amoebas worship you? If a god had enough power and wisdom to create an infinite universe, then it makes him sort of petty if he needs to be constantly praised by his creations.

Many of the founding fathers went to church yes and were very religious. Many of them didn't go at all. Many of them went to church because it was a societal norm. Many went because they are politicians and that means going to church to meet voters. They also probably went to swap meets, and town hall meetings, and supermarket openings. That's what politicians do to get elected. Both Obama and McCain spoke to Jewish league voters, neither of them are Jewish.

If you actually READ what the founding fathers wrote however, you will begin to get a better understanding of them. Thomas Jefferson compared Christianity to mythology. George Washington specifically said that America was NOT a christian country, and that people of all faith were welcome here, specifically Muslims. Ben Franklin was openly dismissive of all religion and dogma.

The founding fathers were careful to allow for worship in America because they didn't care if people worshipped, they only cared if people were free. They largely believed religion to be a private matter. However, being intelligent, and living in a time where many Americans were taxed and penalized for NOT ATTENDING church, the founders decided to write it into the constitution "that congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion". Freedom of Religion and freedom from religion was a reoccuring theme they touched on, but it most definately was not a "main theme" as you say it is.

Also, I disagree with you that religion is essential for a free country. There are numerous free countries right now, that are frankly doing a lot better than America, where Atheism is predominant in the populace.
They could have also have easily make a state religion. That is what people were use to coming from England. They did not want a state religion but they also did not want to get rid of religion.

I don't see any country where atheism is predominant as a lot better. Those people live under a steal boot.

If you want to think the founding fathers were hypocrites for going to church then you can, I don't.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
My point wasn't whether or not you agree with our practices, since I quite frankly don't care if you find it "weird"... kind of strange you'd say that, however, considering that practice comes straight from the Bible. Have you ever read the OT or Torah? But my point was that you can't call this a JUDEO-Christian issue, as most Jews will disagree with plastering His name all over the place. Especially on FOX News, considering 75-80% of Jewish Americans vote Democrat.

But no, we don't want anyone killed for their beliefs... however, the Christians seem to enjoy forcing their beliefs upon others, which once again goes against basic Judeo principles. Seems you've all forgotten the book on which yours was based upon, huh? Yeah yeah, I know Jesus changed everything, so again please stop calling this Judeo-Christian principles - as we have very little in common these days. In fact, I'd rather be associated with Buddhism at this point.
I don't believe in forcing my beliefs on others. Where did I say others have to believe what I believe. This is just a discussion of people's beliefs, that is all.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I don't believe in forcing my beliefs on others. Where did I say others have to believe what I believe. This is just a discussion of people's beliefs, that is all.
I didn't mean YOU specifically, nor did I say you want others to believe what you do. I'm just saying most Christian Americans think their religion needs constant validation... and if anyone disagrees with these public displays, they're somehow being lessened or blasphemed. When, in fact, it is quite the opposite according to the Old Testament.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:25 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
They could have also have easily make a state religion. That is what people were use to coming from England. They did not want a state religion but they also did not want to get rid of religion.

I don't see any country where atheism is predominant as a lot better. Those people live under a steal boot.

If you want to think the founding fathers were hypocrites for going to church then you can, I don't.
You are incorrect.

Some of the founding fathers DID want to make Christianity the state Religion. Some founding fathers DID want to get rid of religion all together. The COMPRIMISE they arrived upon is that all people should be free to worship or not worship however they choose, and that religion would not be the domain of the government. Hence the "congress shall make no law respecting the establisment of religion". You are basing your statements off what you THINK the founding fathers wanted, so that they just happen to agree with you. I am basing my statements off what they actually wrote.

You may not think atheistic countries are "better" but they are "free", which is what you originally said. Your views are colored by your own zealotry. How do the people of Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Japan, France, Germany and the United Kingdom live under a "steel" boot? All of these countries are constitutional republics, just like America is.

I never said the founding fathers were hypocrites. I said in fact that many of them were not religious and therefore did not go to church. I said many were religious and therefore went to church. Where is the hypocrisy in that?

You are right, you can believe whatever you want. What you believe is factually incorrect however. As a Christian, I imagine that is a normal state of being for you.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
You are right, you can believe whatever you want. What you believe is factually incorrect however. As a Christian, I imagine that is a normal state of being for you.
LOL... I tried to rep you for that, but apparently I need to spread the love first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies