Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 11:49 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Has anyone else noticed this? Comments?
So....I don't see the point here.....anyone who doesn't like this can merely make use of their remote however they wish in their own home.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:07 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Christmas is a celeration of the birth of Christ. Now a days, it is turning into gift giving, but that is not the meaning or the origin behind it. The magi that came to see Jesus brought him a gifts, and that is why we do it today.
I have no issue with Fox airing scripture, they can do what they want. If people don't like it, they can not watch it.
That is not correct. You are confusing your scripture with the legend of St. Nicholas. As early as the 19th century, Christians did not exchange gifts on Christmas, in fact it would have been considered sacriligeous. That is why in the 19th century congress regularly met on Christmas and why 19th century readers had no problem believing that Scrooge would make his employees work on Christmas. While it was traditionally a day of prayer, it wasn't unheard of for people to be forced to work on Xmas day. Reread "A Christmas Carol". Or really any book, other than the bible.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:09 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Of course Christmas is a Christian holiday. By definition, Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ as the son of god. If you don't believe that Christ was the son of god, if you aren't a Christian, then you aren't celebrating Christmas, no matter how many lights you put up, how many gifts you give, or how many times you insist it's everyones holiday. And of course you can celebrate YOUR holiday without being co opted into someone elses religion. What holiday is it you want to celebrate? If you choose to name your holiday Christmas, which is recognized and celebrated by millions of people as the birth of their savior, well then you shouldn't be at all surprised if they assume you are celebrating the same holiday they are, and if they are at least a little offended that you try to insist that, since you are using the same name, that they are no longer celebrating what they know they are celebrating. You celebrating YOUR holiday on December 25th doesn't mean that you are celebrating Christmas any more than me having a slice of cake on the anniversary of your birth means that I'm celebrating your birthday. Nor does that slice of cake give me the right to insist that it's no longer your birthday. Celebrate what you want, but let Christians celebrate their holiday; CHRISTMAS.
I have never said that Christians can't celebrate Xmas however they wish. I said it's not just THEIR holiday and I am not a hypocrite for celebrating it. I agreed that why there are many religious aspects of Christmas, there are just as many secular customs. Those are the ones which I practice. Which you seem to be in agreement with.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:11 PM

46 posts, read 150,635 times
Default Give them Credit

I am a non-practicing Christian. However, I give Fox News credit for bucking the politically correctness that has permeated our society in recent years. In an attempt to be PC, we have trampled the Christian-based faiths while going to great lengths to avoid offending other religious groups. Why? Why should anyone be offended by another religion being a celebrated? FYI: Fox also has a living nativity outside their studio and made a point of stating that they don't care who takes issue with it nor do they care which government facilities have banned nativities, Christmas trees, etc. I believe that any religious group should have the right to celebrate their religion. Exclusionary practices are NOT the way to unite....it's just another poorly paved avenue to increasing bias and fostering intolerance. Live and let live!

Old 12-23-2010, 12:13 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
I fail to see how this is a controversy in the first place.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:15 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
It's not really. I guess it is a relatively slow news day and this is passing the time.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:24 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Because we must be 'outraged' at the idea of Christianity being openly projected in this manner....

It is what makes us tolerant.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:31 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC0302 View Post
Fox also has a living nativity outside their studio and made a point of stating that they don't care who takes issue with it
Who would take issue with it - it's on private property.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:32 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
I wonder what the reaction would be if they put up verses of the Qu'ran.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:40 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Or it smacks of cultural and historical education. Christmas has been celebrated long before Christ.

That's so ridiculously untrue it's almost not worth disputing.

There was some other holiday celebrated at the time of year that the leaders of the Christian church chose to celebrate Christmas. For many people, it was the winter Solstice, and for some, the celebration of that holiday continues. But Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ as the son of god, and as such, cannot have been celebrated before his birth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies