Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 03:21 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times

Advertisements

This reminds me of the time when the mainstream media laughed at the idea of Obama taking away American's rights. They snickered and mocked all those ignorant rednecks down south who were stock-piling guns after Obama was elected. Maybe those gun-nuts weren't so nutty after all.

I wish Obama had the cojones to stand up to the TSA and body-scanner lobby (http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/tsa-and-full-body-scanner-lobby - broken link) that ultimately violates Americans' dignity and privacy rights all in the name of profit, I mean, safety from terrorism. Another useless, wasteful government band aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 06:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
In the US Constitution, if the specific issue, as you point out in buying firearms, is not mentioned that the government will not do, then the citizen has protection from the government in that issue.

The BOR lays out what the government CAN'T do to the citzens, not what it can do. Therefore, since the 2nd Amendment makes no mention of purchasing firearms, then the government can't retstrict their sales. Only state by state legislation can accomplish this after that legislation has been through the courts and found to be Constitutional. As an example look at Amendmend XVIII. section 2 and 3
since the 14th amendment, and recent court findings, the states cannot restrict gun ownership either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I am a gun owner and an avid shooter. I reload my own ammo and have a shooting range in my yard.
I am not a member of the NRA. IMO they cry wolf far to often and tend to exagerate the facts.
Why is the NRA against background checks?
background checks can be misused, and are sometime inaccurate.

Quote:
Why is the NRA against gunshops having to maintain accurate sales records?
the first thing a dictator does after taking power from a democracy is head to the places where records are kept regarding gun ownership, among other things, to find out who has weapons, so they can go and take them away. it happened in germany after hitler took power.

Quote:
The waiting period. Even I need to question why someone needs their gun right now. Worth having worth waiting for. I don't believe a month is needed but a week hurts no one.
if you pass an instant background check, then why should you have to wait 3 days to a month before you can pick up your weapon?

Quote:
I don't like laws that restrict the honest owners. Worse still laws that hammer honest people. The case in NJ for example.
Gunshops and dealers should be brought to task for making illegal sales or not following the rules.
If someone walks in and buys a large quantity of weapons or ammo someone should be saying time out, what for?
In my experience honest gunshops and dealers have nothing to fear because they always do it the right way no matter how well they know you.
I don't want the fed in my life any more than it already is, but I also don't want some nut selling guns to gangs. Holding gun shops accountable is not unreasonable.
and yet you wonder why the NRA is against waiting periods? all a waiting period does is hamper the legal purchase of a legal firearm.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:38 PM

313 posts, read 596,798 times
Shockingly, neither of these things are actually Constitutional violations

Old 12-28-2010, 07:20 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,531 times
Well....I am all for gun control myself.

Gun control is hitting your target.

As for Obama....I like it when he loses support as I don't want him re-elected. I kind of like him but I don't think he is the right guy for that particular job.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:29 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default Obama May Finally Stand Up to NRA & Gun Lobby

I don't understand what he is standing up agianst, the NRA and Gun Lobbiests do not promote selling guns to Mexican cartels, there are already laws agiant this, maybe he should spend more time closing the border which would STOP gun and drug trafficing. Stop wasting time adding stupid laws when you don't enforce the existing laws, it's not a hard concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies