Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:15 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Angry Haitian mobs have lynched at least 45 people in recent weeks, accusing them of spreading a cholera outbreak that has killed over 2,500 people across the country, officials said Wednesday.The number included at least 14 suspected sorcerers previously known to have been lynched in the far southwestern region of Grand'Anse as local people feared they were spreading cholera with a magical substance. The area has been largely spared by the outbreak.
"We have counted 40 people dead in Grand'Anse department alone, where people are attacking natural healers they accuse of cholera-linked witchcraft," said communications ministry official Moise Fritz Evens.
Five other people were killed in similar circumstances elsewhere in the country.
"The victims -- most of them voodoo priests -- were stoned or hacked with machetes before being burned in the street," added the official, who was presenting the results of an investigation conducted in Grand'Anse earlier this month.
AFP: 45 people lynched amid Haiti cholera fears: officials

Please send more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 07:17 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Oh when religion and superstition a nation...

Old 12-23-2010, 07:27 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
14 of them had been previously lynched? LOL I guess they just wanted to make sure they were dead!

All jokes aside, don't make the erroneous assumption that those mobs represent the majority of Haitian's. They do not. Haitian's are just like you. They are as industrious, intelligent, concerned and hard working as anyone else. And, a majority are Christian's, with 80% claiming Catholicism as their primary faith and with Baptist's being second. They've just endured generations of corrupt governments, economic deprivation and a succession of natural disasters, including one of the most terrible earthquakes in history.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Believe it or not..many of the charities that received money earlier are holding on to it. Really irked me to find that out.

Clean water is the first thing that needs to be provided after a natural disaster. Did anyone think to provide water filtration to these people months ago ? NO...flimsy tents and bottled water.

And the charities SIT on the money. And they want more money ??

Over $14 billion was collected in donations.
Haiti Information Project (HIP): Holding Private Charities Accountable in Haiti

Following the Aid Money to Haiti - CBS Evening News - CBS News
"...most of the $14.9 billion that's been donated will be used on long term projects to rebuild Haiti."

Long term projects to rebuild Haiti..when, after they are all dead ?

Old 12-23-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Believe it or not..many of the charities that received money earlier are holding on to it. Really irked me to find that out.

Clean water is the first thing that needs to be provided after a natural disaster. Did anyone think to provide water filtration to these people months ago ? NO...flimsy tents and bottled water.

And the charities SIT on the money. And they want more money ??

Over $14 billion was collected in donations.
Haiti Information Project (HIP): Holding Private Charities Accountable in Haiti

Following the Aid Money to Haiti - CBS Evening News - CBS News
"...most of the $14.9 billion that's been donated will be used on long term projects to rebuild Haiti."

Long term projects to rebuild Haiti..when, after they are all dead ?
The Southern Baptist Disaster Relief organization has opened or re-opened over a hundred wells and the work is still going on. So to is our building of more permanent shelter for those trapped in tent cities. Just the Oklahoma Baptist's have built nearly 100 by themselves, at a cost of about $2000 each.

Better yet, every single, solitary dime you contribute to them gets spent and spent ONLY on relief efforts. Nothing is taken out for salaries, fund raising or anything else.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:35 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
It would seem to me that Haiti is not able to be 'saved',at least not until it's own people start doing more.

It is puzzling how Haiti is so poor and corrupt and needing handouts and the Dominican Republic is doing much better.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:38 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Castro would have sorted them out

Old 12-23-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
It would seem to me that Haiti is not able to be 'saved',at least not until it's own people start doing more.

It is puzzling how Haiti is so poor and corrupt and needing handouts and the Dominican Republic is doing much better.
Because the US has not put a puppet government in the Dominican Republic.
The US hasn't meddled in DR politics.

Think about that one.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The Southern Baptist Disaster Relief organization has opened or re-opened over a hundred wells and the work is still going on. So to is our building of more permanent shelter for those trapped in tent cities. Just the Oklahoma Baptist's have built nearly 100 by themselves, at a cost of about $2000 each.

Better yet, every single, solitary dime you contribute to them gets spent and spent ONLY on relief efforts. Nothing is taken out for salaries, fund raising or anything else.
stillkit, thank you for that post. I will look into them.
I was really upset to read that the charities held on to the bulk of the money and swore off any more monetary donations.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
stillkit, thank you for that post. I will look into them.
I was really upset to read that the charities held on to the bulk of the money and swore off any more monetary donations.

You're welcome, but I want to make it abundently clear that I was NOT soliciting donations. I was just sharing what I know to be a fact because I've been involved with them for many years, spent a week in Haiti earlier this year and have seen it up close and personal.

However, if you'd like to know more, please PM me and I'll tell you about it off-site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies