Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 08:47 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,212,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
The OP poses a good question. Christianity teaches love and giving to those less fortunate. These are in direct conflict with Christian Republicans who are all about me me me. The Southern Baptist culture teaches hate, hyporcrisy and greed. Now they've rewritten history, denying slavery ever existed. This does not sound very Christ like to me.
Those are America's most cherished family values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,961,689 times
Quote:
The OP poses a good question. Christianity teaches love and giving to those less fortunate. These are in direct conflict with Christian Republicans who are all about me me me. The Southern Baptist culture teaches hate, hyporcrisy and greed. Now they've rewritten history, denying slavery ever existed. This does not sound very Christ like to me.

Wait, what? Southern Baptists deny the existance of slavery here in the US? Really? I can't find any evidence of such a teaching. Can you help us out with that?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,015,388 times
I have no idea what you just said but there are hundreds of Baptist Churches with devoted followers who believe the scripture is literal. And you also have the political group called the dominionists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I'm not protestant but if you take a look see at how protestantism has evolved philosophically over the century there's no such thing as WASP stereotype anymore. You won't find hard line puritanical people around. You find one version or another of televangelists making money off the Bible twisting words around to suit their air conditioned dog houses. You also find self identified christians (who aren't practicing anything but self invented values) who created these characters in the first place. The audience created them in the pews to represent them. The bible is irrelevant when being entertained or being told what you want to hear is a higher priority. More like a cult calling itself christian, but that vocal minority burdens all with a bad name.

Would be nice if atheists could discern the difference between a sincere Christian (no matter the denomination) and the christian taliban/ nasty biddies. Here's a litmus test for you Jeff Foxworthy style--- if it's beyond any possibility in their mind they could be wrong about anything, they might be the taliban.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,015,388 times
The deny the existence of anything that makes them look bad. So yes they do deny it. Southern Baptist convention was pro-slavery until the very end of slavery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Wait, what? Southern Baptists deny the existance of slavery here in the US? Really? I can't find any evidence of such a teaching. Can you help us out with that?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,949,280 times
What's really weird are the racist Republicans who hate the Mideast and probably don't really comprehend the irony that their deity is a Jew.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,020,396 times
Because attacks on christianity in thsi country come from the left overwhemly.The democratic party represents that left in america.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,949,280 times
Spoken like a true Republican. So articulate!

Old 02-06-2011, 09:50 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,566,740 times
Quote:
The Southern Baptist culture teaches hate, hyporcrisy and greed. Now they've rewritten history, denying slavery ever existed. This does not sound very Christ like to me.
I don't know what Southern Baptist church you've been going to, but it isn't any I've ever been in.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 PM

421 posts, read 449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
This is a phenomenon I've never really understood is why those that are heavily christian, are also heavily republicans. If you really think about it besides abortion views, Jesus was a liberal. Not a leftest republican or democrat, but a full-blown green party tree hugging flaming liberal.
The teachings are about living frugally, to help the poor, to only live with what you need and give your unneeded wealth away. To open your doors to the needy and that greed is evil. Even how Jesus is depicted in looking, long hair, beard, sandals, pretty much exactly like hippies of the 60's.
It just seems to make sense that if you are a true follower of the bible, you would be a hardcore liberal, not a conservative.
Because conservatives like to keep things the way they are, and, as religious belief changes slowly, and can be justifiably irrational, it makes for a logical alliance.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:19 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,810,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Because attacks on christianity in thsi country come from the left overwhemly.The democratic party represents that left in america.
That's a crock and a half and you know it. Once upon a time republicans didn't have to be told to be accountable for themselves. Nowadays they make careers of passing the buck, so long as they don the cloak of christian they could be satan himself. You oblige yourself to vote for a cloak and could care one whit about any of the core beliefs of Christianity. If you did the above post wouldn't have been written because bearing false witness is a far heavier crime than differences in scriptural interpretation.

Oddly enough I need no defense from artsyguy. He's definitely left, I'm definitely not left, and yet he's not verbally attacking me. Care to venture why that is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies