Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,893,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
This is a phenomenon I've never really understood is why those that are heavily christian, are also heavily republicans. If you really think about it besides abortion views, Jesus was a liberal. Not a leftest republican or democrat, but a full-blown green party tree hugging flaming liberal.
The teachings are about living frugally, to help the poor, to only live with what you need and give your unneeded wealth away. To open your doors to the needy and that greed is evil. Even how Jesus is depicted in looking, long hair, beard, sandals, pretty much exactly like hippies of the 60's.
It just seems to make sense that if you are a true follower of the bible, you would be a hardcore liberal, not a conservative.
They may SAY they are Christian, we all know, what they say is not what they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,903,696 times
Quote:
This is a phenomenon I've never really understood is why those that are heavily christian, are also heavily republicans. If you really think about it besides abortion views, Jesus was a liberal. Not a leftest republican or democrat, but a full-blown green party tree hugging flaming liberal.
The teachings are about living frugally, to help the poor, to only live with what you need and give your unneeded wealth away. To open your doors to the needy and that greed is evil. Even how Jesus is depicted in looking, long hair, beard, sandals, pretty much exactly like hippies of the 60's.
It just seems to make sense that if you are a true follower of the bible, you would be a hardcore liberal, not a conservative.
I think the main reason is "Self-determination", that they are the people who MAKE the choices to help others... when you "force" someone which is what liberals want, you lose that "self-determination" and you end up helping people who deserve none while they laugh at you and there is nothing you can do about it... that tends to get people mad and politically inclined to the other side... I don't think liberals realize there IS a difference between helping someone out yourself and being FORCED to help someone out because the government forces you or steals from you to do it AND you didn't do anything wrong in the first place... nobody likes PUNISHMENT for being innocent...

Old 02-08-2011, 06:53 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,200,843 times
Jesus asked that you be kind to the poor , prayed for your heart to be full with the love of our father ,God .Hoped you should be so blessed that you find joy in giving , mentoring and loving your fellow man.
Not making it mandatory that you pay the government or you will be hunted down ,property taken and you jailed . Then , only some of that payment going to the poor.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:46 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,740,362 times
Quote:
Jesus' teachings were aimed at the individual, not government or the collective. Liberals, on the other hand, eschew personal responsibility in favor of so-called collective responsibility. That's why liberals can pat themselves on the back for passing laws that purportedly help the poor but who are might stingy with their own dollars.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:51 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,537,183 times
Because they both suck?

Old 08-05-2012, 05:32 PM

7,329 posts, read 6,953,422 times
It is my expirence, that in God's econemy one is expected to obey Him.
This means it is He that directs my funds and activites for the day /nite.
Though I have a job , I know He supplied it ,and being there though I fallow my supervisors orders concening work, If God gave me orders to the contrary and quit , I know for a fact that though I may not know the reason ,it is likey for my own good and may be for that of others as well.
Don't get me wrong, I like my job very much , and a number of co workers are believers as well , and this is no reflection on any thing other than obedience to God above my own live.
I take full responsibility for all that I do, even those things I believe God has instructed me.
Jesus did some extraordrary things,and so did the prophets of old. The idea is not to copy them ,that would not be obedient.
Being obedient, means fallowing direct current instruction.
And that Is what Jesus came to provide through the Holy spirit. it is not an intellectual game, it is a cooperative behavural remodeling.
If one choose to lock them self up in scriptures excluding God personally, we we see a lot of that now don't we.
Finding an excuse among men is easy , relying on excuses them selves .
Take the hint God hates excuses , Adam's certianly didn' fly.
That is the current difference at least fom my point of view between the democrat liberal believing the world owes them a living , and the republican not wishing to promote a slothful society.
Jesus made some very definate requirments in John 15; about productivity, you should probibly read.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:43 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,934,160 times
Do Democrats understand that the constant criticism and downright insults from the left turn off many Christians who might otherwise vote for a party with a somewhat liberal agenda?

Do Democrats understand that when someone cannot mention they are Roman Catholic without some liberal bringing up pedophile priests that it might turn them off on anything that person has to say and liberalism in general? Do they realize that Catholics have a long history of voting Democrat?

It is almost always a liberal that makes some statement such as "Go worship your fairy God in the sky." Do liberals think that might just turn someone off on liberalism in general?

Liberals are usually quick to condemn, and rightfully so, when Muslims are stereotyped yet thay often do the same to Christians.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:58 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,165,170 times
What's so striking is how many self-described "conservative Christians" there are who not only make no effort to implement the most crucial teachings of Jesus, specifically the Sermon on the Mount, in their lives, but advocate values that are precisely the opposite in the political realm. I'm speaking specifically of their advocacy precisely against loving our enemies, turning the other cheek, treating all people as brothers and sisters and so on. By no stretch of the imagination are these folks "Christians." You cannot claim membership in a group when you make no effort to adhere to the fundamental principles. It's almost as if their zealotry with regards to fetuses and queers is meant to compensate for their woeful shortcomings in the important areas of Christian living. They pick and choose the portions of Scripture that suit their purposes and assumptions, ignore the ones that don't and then, quite ironically, disparage that minority of Christians who openly advocate and practice peaceful lives according to the principles mentioned above. Have any of you listened to these good Christians sneer at social justice and loving your enemies and opposing warmongering and opposition to needless killing by the state? It's remarkable.

But they are passionate about gays doing naughty things and dirty movies and sex without consequences. You know, all the things God spends time worrying most about.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:39 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,536,370 times
Quote:

With all due respect, as the cliche goes, I can't fathom why you don't "get it." Both are staunchly conservative.

I haven't read the platforms of both parties in a lot of years, but I sure know how many of us first became GOP, and it was the platforms. GOP was soundly more of a conservative, Christian platform than the Dems.' was.

Jesus was not a liberal. Those that do not work do not eat. Yeah, give to the poor, but around Jesus it was not that folks sat on their butts while HE worked the fishing boat. They all worked.

Jesus was not a tree hugger. He cursed a tree for it not giving figs and went on his way. As they traveled back past it, that tree was indeed dead. Jesus forced a bunch of demons into a bunch of pigs and they ran off of a cliff so he wasn't a PETA type, or nutty animal rights lover, either.

Jesus was not a liberal, as He was clearly behind the Old Testament Law, giving it Carte blanche so He was not an approver of gay rights, either.

I don't memorize bible or I'd probably have a longer list of examples of why Jesus was no liberal by any means. OH! weapons....He told a guy to put away his sword, but He didn't tell him to get rid of the dang thing. Also, WHY on earth was Jesus even allowing the guy to HAVE the sword and be traveling with or assisting Him in His work? SEE....no way was Jesus a liberal.

Liberal? Peace loving Hippie? Nope...God is also a God of war, as for everything....there is a season. God helps folks win wars, and in fact Ezekiel of the old Testament is perfectly clear that God going to help Israel win yet another war, in fact God is going to CAUSE the forces that He then helps them defeat, to attack Israel, "putting a hook in their jaw" and "bringing them down" upon the land of Israel. *(reference Chapters 38 and 39 of Ezekiel.)
If you need the scripture that clearly shows JESUS saying that He didn't come to erase even one point of the Law of the OT, "but to fulfill it" I can find it another time when not multitasking here, and post it here.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:16 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,065,844 times
Quote:
The teachings are about living frugally, to help the poor, to only live with what you need and give your unneeded wealth away. To open your doors to the needy and that greed is evil. .
The bolded sounds like conservative values to me - liberals don't exactly have a reputation for living within their means, while liberals often pay lip service to helping the poor - conservatives actually do it every day - they just don't broadcast it like the hyocrites that Jesus warned people to not be like, and I think that you are confusing profit for greed - there is nothing wrong with wanting to earn more money then what you started with.

As for abortion - could you quote me where Jesus ever said anything about abortion? This is another common strawman - pro-abortionists like to paint pro-life people as religiously motivated(specifically - influenced by the Bible) so they can avoid the truth that abortion is universally wrong - and its wrongness transcends religion, culture, and geography. I am pro-life - and can't cite anything in the Bible that led me to this position - because it didn't happen - and there is nothing in the Bible that teaches against abortion. Abortion is wrong - period.

Anyways - when you find some verses that illustrates Jesus's abortion views - just let me know. Jesus didn't have to mention abortion because people understood that it was inherently evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies