Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 05:14 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,699,594 times

Advertisements

When I was younger I wondered too why "Christians" would be republican . To this day I'm still confused
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 05:29 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,178,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transatlantic View Post
You guys, I don't want to upset you or anything, but only liberal Christians who follow Christ's teachings and love their fellow man - and woman - will go to heaven.

However, I would point out - given the tone of the threads on this forum - you will enjoy hell, as Mark Twain said, for the conversation, because most of the conversations on here are more inspired by El Diablo than by Jesus Christ.
Sorry, I am Jewish, and don't believe in the devil or hell.

I will also say, some of the rudest, foulest, most evil and racist, bigoted people I have ever met, are those who boasted they were liberal.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:02 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,007,853 times
Minnesota is very religious, and is hardly heavily Republican.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,165,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Minnesota is very religious, and is hardly heavily Republican.
THe Twin Cities are heavily Democratic. Most of the rest of the state leans Republican. I would guess that, as with most places, its urban areas are less fervently religious than rural areas.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transatlantic View Post
Right-wing Christian fundamentalists are not vaguely Christian. Christ was a leftie - an extreme leftie. Fundamentalists are not religious, they are sectarian exhibitionists. Their Bible-thumping narcissism ("look at me! look at me! I'm going to heaven and you're not!") does not have anything in common with Christ's teachings.
Correction, Jesus wasn't a leftie, he was a freaking radical. He disliked the rich. He believed you and all of us shall be judged by how we treat the poor and the weakest among us. He hung with the poor, the destitute the forsaken. He commanded you to forgive your enemies. He commanded you to turn the other cheek even as you were abused. Can you imagine? Can you imagine not only how radical these ideas were then, but how radical they still are today? How many so-called Christians actually try to live out those principles?

I think some...some...of those Bible-thumpers know deep down inside that they are not living out those principles. THe abortion issue gives them something upon which to hang their hats. No, they can't bring themselves to love those lazy poor people, but they can love those "unborn babies." That makes a good substitute for the least among us. For most, I honestly doubt they ever give the ideas he advanced much thought. How could they and then behave as they do?

Old 08-07-2012, 10:10 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,007,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
THe Twin Cities are heavily Democratic. Most of the rest of the state leans Republican. I would guess that, as with most places, its urban areas are less fervently religious than rural areas.
And you might be guessing wrong. There is a Lutheran church on almost every street corner of the main roads in Minneapolis and its burbs.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/photo...nd_america.gif

Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,212,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Correction, Jesus wasn't a leftie, he was a freaking radical. He disliked the rich. He believed you and all of us shall be judged by how we treat the poor and the weakest among us. He hung with the poor, the destitute the forsaken. He commanded you to forgive your enemies. He commanded you to turn the other cheek even as you were abused. Can you imagine? Can you imagine not only how radical these ideas were then, but how radical they still are today? How many so-called Christians actually try to live out those principles?

I think some...some...of those Bible-thumpers know deep down inside that they are not living out those principles. THe abortion issue gives them something upon which to hang their hats. No, they can't bring themselves to love those lazy poor people, but they can love those "unborn babies." That makes a good substitute for the least among us. For most, I honestly doubt they ever give the ideas he advanced much thought. How could they and then behave as they do?
So true, but it's not what the conservatives who supposedly live for Christian values want to hear, they are much more interested in lambasting gay people, and sure they love the unborn, but the second a child is born it's just another lazy useless thief that STEALS their tax money.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:30 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,836,680 times
Jesus believed in charity not forced re-distribution of wealth. Also liberalism in general promotes the destruction of Christian values. For example, Look how liberals have destroyed the institution of marriage with their handouts to mothers who have out-of-wedlock children.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And you might be guessing wrong. There is a Lutheran church on almost every street corner of the main roads in Minneapolis and its burbs.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/photo...nd_america.gif
Without question, you will find higher percentages of church-goers in rural areas of Minnesota than in the Twin Cities. It is the same in Wisconsin and other Great Lakes states.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 AM

176 posts, read 358,776 times
What about a post about Democrats? Democrats can be heavily Christians. Why so one-sided? If you count Mormonism, you have to include Senator Harry Reid D-Nevada, who happens to be a Mormon just like Republican Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies