Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:41 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I have no obligation to anyone other then myself....MY belief is that I as a man do not have a RIGHT to an opinion on something that is totally a womans right.
Your position is circular. In any case, you're perfectly free to excuse yourself from the debate.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:46 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I have no obligation to anyone other then myself....MY belief is that I as a man do not have a RIGHT to an opinion on something that is totally a womans right.
This is only true if you are right. This makes your argument circular.

Cavaturaccioli is right. "anyone has as much right to one's opinion as one does to one's vote"

276 posts, read 476,928 times
It's legal, and it's the morally-preferred answer to the pregnancy problem.

There are 6.8 billion people on this exhausted planet. Wake up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The idea of having 'ownership' over anything; your body, the land that feeds you - is narrow-minded, self-centred humanistic thinking. We're all connected by a web and don't truly own anything. The American cult of individual rights and 'freedom' is an illusion that makes us think we're living better when it really pollutes the system and makes our lives worse. Of course I don't expect those who worship 'rights' and 'choice' to understand this.

May seem ridiculous, but think a little deeper...
Nope. Thought deeper. Seems even sillier at depth.

Your assertions make it seem to me that you're comfortable with Communism. As Frank Zappa, PhD said, " Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff."

The irony of your refuting ownership of property on a real estate site forum of all places is delectable.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
This is only true if you are right. This makes your argument circular.

Cavaturaccioli is right. "anyone has as much right to one's opinion as one does to one's vote"
Thanks, pal!

Old 12-24-2010, 10:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post

I believe in population control as much as the next person. But with effective methods of contraceptions I don't see why abortion needs to be widespread.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Nope. Thought deeper. Seems even sillier at depth.

Your assertions make it seem to me that you're comfortable with Communism. As Frank Zappa, PhD said, " Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff."

The irony of your refuting ownership of property on a real estate site forum of all places is delectable.

I'm a great admirer of Mr. Zappa's work and he's said some astute things...he's probably true in this observation as well.

I'm referring more to the principle behind the belief in the right to abortion. I guess when it comes down to it it's another example of humans controlling nature for their own means, no different to domesticating animals. Yet in this case it just seems especially unnatural; deliberately intervening in nature because it was a 'mistake.' Mis-carriages are natural accidents, cooking a fetus alive because mummy couldn't keep her legs closed is not.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post

Exhaustion of resources is no excuse for moral indifference. At the very least we have an obligation to examine our consciences and forego arrogance. This is a debate for good reason. No one knows when life begins. I posit that the ethical and humane position to take is to give the benefit of doubt to nascent human life till it be proved to be otherwise.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:55 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Quote:
I'm pretty liberal when it comes to a lot of things, but I still maintain that having an abortion is not a woman's or anyone else's 'right.' Sure, abortion is acceptable in extreme cases (life threatening, cases of rape.etc) but I hate that abortion has become just another method of contraception. Especially if it makes some women less responsible, or use it as a 'get out' clause. There's nothing natural about killing a developing fetus in the womb....primitive humans didn't really have this option (I guess they may have had crude methods) but I believe if you're irresponsible enough to not take the precautions you have to bear the consequences. Although I do think if it's just a few cells that's a slightly different matter.

Btw is there anyone who is non-religious/liberal who shares my view?
As a non-religious liberal woman, here is my view. Abortion is often called a "right" in this country because it is legal. So I guess in that sense it is, but it is not on the same level as the right to free speech, public assembly etc. It's not in the Constitution. And because it is legal and accessible, some women do use it as birth control. But I would guess, from my own personal experience with my sister and friends, that it is an agonizing decision for most women and not undertaken lightly. It's a choice women make for many, many reasons. Womenkind always have and always will find themselves with unwanted pregnancies and will seek out ways to terminate them. So they will have abortions, legal and safe or not. Better that they be legal and safe. I hate the idea of it but understand the need for it.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I'm a great admirer of Mr. Zappa's work and he's said some astute things...he's probably true in this observation as well.

I'm referring more to the principle behind the belief in the right to abortion. I guess when it comes down to it it's another example of humans controlling nature for their own means, no different to domesticating animals. Yet in this case it just seems especially unnatural; deliberately intervening in nature because it was a 'mistake.' Mis-carriages are natural accidents, cooking a fetus alive because mummy couldn't keep her legs closed is not.
Hold the phone...are we agreeing or disagreeing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies