Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 02:16 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,779,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No, most do not.
I linked above to what fetuses look like at every week of gestation.
Might want to acquaint yourself with the reality.

They can't live without being a parasite.
They are not viable.
9 week old fetus - Google Search

9 weeks is still the first trimester and I see pretty much every feature we have.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:19 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,739,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What's the girl gonna say, some random stranger raped me? Then the cops'll start investigating. Or that her boyfriend raped her when he didn't? Hopefully they wouldn't stoop that low.
People do stoop that low - all the time. And cops don't investigate every rape, especially if the victim refuses to press charges and be examined... thousands of REAL rapes go unreported and un-convicted every year, so what makes you think this is an unusual occurrence? And what makes you think a woman in a desperate situation (unwanted pregnancy) wouldn't do whatever is necessary to get the abortion?

Quote:
As for any kind of drug abuse or unsound mind, there might be justification if there is a danger to the mother's or the babies health.
So by those restrictions, a good way to get one would be to go use a bunch of drugs... doesn't take long to get crack/heroin in your system!

Quote:
None of this necessitates abortion on demand. The stricter we keep it, the most careful people will be.
Yeah, that worked well during prohibition - and is currently working GREAT in the "war on drugs." Huh?

Quote:
Don't believe the real pro-choice people who say they want abortion to be as 'rare as possible' but for it to be a safe and legal option. They've got their hands in the pockets of the abortion industry which actively encourages women to have abortions.
Excuse me, but who are YOU to tell me or anyone else what we believe? I do believe the bolded statement above, and certainly don't have my hand in any pockets... do not tell me what I think, mmmkay? I would also suggest you visit a Planned Parenthood clinic, and report back about how exactly they're encouraging abortions. I've been to PP clinics (for other reasons), and saw every option being presented equally to their patients.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:19 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,542,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Thanks for responding.

And would Hindus and Buddhists say it is reincarnated? What about Muslims? Does it harm the soul for its vessel to be snuffed out before birth? At what point does the soul indwell in a body? These are questions that are indeed central to the debate for me.
It sounds to me that you are asking questions and in search of answers that aren't related to the OP. Perhaps you should ask these questions elsewhere. Maybe the religion section of the forum. I'm sure you would get a LOT more answers if you devoted a whole thread to them.

And please don't take this recommendation as a rebuke. Your questions are good and discussing them would help to inform a lot of people about some of the reasons we are pro-life. I just think you'll get better answers in a thread that's dedicated to the questions that you are asking.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
Here you go.Your questions weren't difficult to answer. Not at all. Frankly I don't understand why you couldn't realize that this is how we would answer. Goes to show how confused the mind of a pro-choice advocate is.
The problem is neither side can agree about when life begins...the pro-lifers have the better case, imo. Birth is so arbitrary, it kind of creates a big moral grey area.

Pro-choicers who think we have some secret agenda to control women are seriously out of their mind. Some might, but the majority are focused on the issue of Life.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:24 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,187,698 times
Buddhists do not believe in reincarnation.
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/reincarnation.htm

Quote:
The problem is neither side can agree about when life begins...the pro-lifers have the better case, imo. Birth is so arbitrary, it kind of creates a big moral grey area.

Pro-choicers who think we have some secret agenda to control women are seriously out of their mind. Some might, but the majority are focused on the issue of Life.

Talk about an opinionated post.
Because you believe something, it's the better case?

Viability seems to be the best answer.

I disagree, anti-choicers (and right to life until birthers) are focused on controlling and punishing women.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Buddhists do not believe in reincarnation.
A Basic Buddhism Guide: On Reincarnation

Talk about an opinionated post.
Because you believe something, it's the better case?

Viability seems to be the best answer.

I disagree, anti-choicers (and right to life until birthers) are focused on controlling and punishing women.
Yeah I get off on punishing women, that's the only reason I care about abortion. The tearing of infants limb from limb is only a minor excuse for my secret misogynistic, chauvinistic views. I'm so mean for saying those women shouldn't mutilate and butcher their own offspring.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
The problem is neither side can agree about when life begins...
You know, I used to think this too. Then I met some pro-choice advocates who believed that life begins at conception. Didn't change a thing. They were still okay with other people murdering their unborn children.

And before anyone of you pro-choice advocates accuse me of being melodramatic and you personally don't feel that abortion is murder, need I remind you that I am referring to pro-choice advocates who DO think abortion is murder.

Anyway, I don't think the issue is over the definition of life. The issue is really over the definition of RESPONSIBILITY. If you examine the past few hundred posts you notice a pattern. We pro-lifers advocate taking responsibility means having the baby and pro-choicers advocate taking responsibility means having an abortion. THAT my good friend is the fundamental difference.

We believe it's immoral to have sex and disconnect pregnancy from the act. They think it's their right to have as much sex as they want. Since they feel that it's okay (and indeed natural) to have as much sex as they desire, and pregnancy even with contraceptives can't be 100% prevented, then abortion is the logical choice.

They are FORCED to believe that abortion is the only solution because they believe that promiscuity is completely normal and natural. It's all quite logical.

Except their assumptions are off-base. We DO have the ability to control our actions. We DO have the ability to stay abstinent. We DO have the ability to keep our hormones in check. People have been doing it for thousands of years. All of a sudden humanity loses that ability. We are essentially the same people. Evolution doesn't change that quickly. So what we were able to do 100 years ago we certainly can do today. But society has to embrace it. Society has to realize the problem of casual sex. Society has to realize that abortion is not an answer.

One day I think we as a society will mature and recognize the responsibility that goes along with sex and I think we'll realize that abortion is not a valid solution. It's going to happen. One day.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
It's domain? You mean uterus? Well, that belongs to me and can only be used when and if I decide it can be used.

My uterus, my body, MY DOMAIN.
You know what invaded your uterus? The baby? Sorry... fetus? Nope. Sperm. Oh wait. It didn't INVADE! It was examined at the border, passport checked and stamped and let in by YOU!

YOU let the sperm in! YOU invited it! Now YOU deal with the consequences when it does what it's going to do inside the border.

Case closed.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:54 AM

Here's an interesting website. lhpartridge you might be interested.

If abortion, is made illegal, women will die.

Quote:
Dr. Mary S. Calderone, a former director of Planned Parenthood wrote in the American Journal of Public Health, "Abortion is no longer a dangerous procedure. This applies not just to therapeutic abortions as performed in hospitals but also to so-called illegal abortions as done by physician. In 1957 there were only 260 deaths in the whole country attributed to abortions of any kind…Second, and even more important, the conference [on abortion sponsored by Planned Parenthood] estimated that 90 percent of all illegal abortions are presently being done by physicians…Whatever trouble arises usually arises from self-induced abortions, which comprise approximately 8 percent, or with the very small percentage that go to some kind of non-medical abortionist…So remember…abortion, whether therapeutic or illegal, is in the main no longer dangerous, because it is being done well by physicians." This was written in 1960!

All pro-choice advocates should read this, and all of the arguments on the site. You'll get some insight about our line of thinking.
It's not a human being/person -- it's just a blob of tissue
Quote:
since the baby is genetically unique at fertilization, it is impossible to say he/she is just another part of his/her mother's body.
A Woman has the Right to Control Her Own Body.
"Every child a wanted child," and other social arguments.
Rape, Incest, Fetal Abnormality

Quote:
every life is unique, every life is valuable...
...aborting a child because of possible abnormality is nothing less than blatant and deadly discrimination against people with disabilities.
Makes you think, huh? How many people in this thread are discriminating against people with disabilities by saying they don't deserve to be alive?

This is verrry interesting. Our thread is a textbook example of what these webpages are telling us. LOL

My pro-lifer friends, we should all bookmark this webpage. It's got a lot of good advice about arguing with a pro-choice advocate.

Truly we pro-life advocates must start educating our opponents that there are thousands of pro-life mother-helping centers across the country. One of my good friends volunteers at one actually.

Last edited by smartalx; 01-01-2011 at 03:28 AM..

Old 01-01-2011, 02:58 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,739,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
One day I think we as a society will mature and recognize the responsibility that goes along with sex and I think we'll realize that abortion is not a valid solution. It's going to happen. One day.
Responsibility goes along with alcohol consumption, and driving afterward is not a valid solution to getting home... and yet alcohol is still legal for adults over 21. Why? Because at a certain point you have to let go of control, and allow adults to decide what to do with their own bodies. You may see their pregnancy as a human life, as may I, but until it leaves THEIR body nobody can force them to carry it. You can outlaw abortion, and women will still find a way to "expel" their unwanted fetuses - whether chemically, naturally or surgically. Just as with alcohol and drugs, where outlawing them doesn't keep people from getting drunk/high. So where do your desires and beliefs end, and their (our) responsibilities over their own bodies begin? I think that is a better question than "when does life begin?"

P.S. Again, please stop trying to get inside other people's heads... I don't try to pretend I understand pro-lifer's brains, and appreciate the same in return. I say that because everything else you wrote above does NOT jive with my personal beliefs - or those of many others who are pro-choice, I imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies