Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 05:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
GOP-controlled House To Open Congress With Reading Of Constitution...

The goal, backers said, is to underscore the limited-government rules the Founders imposed on Congress - and to try to bring some of those principles back into everyday legislating.
*YAWN*

Gimmick. They couldn't follow "limited government rules" the last time they had Congressional control, and i see no reason to believe that they'll do so this time. What they're actually underscoring is the fact that we all know and remember their last tenure.

Tell'em to read Mary Poppins instead. Same difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 11:51 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The mark of good theater, people believing things that aren't so
It's just a different style of smoke and mirrors if the TSA isn't abolished and Homeland security gutted and remade along a line that respects rights. And the Patriot Act needs to be removed if its not just smoke and mirrors since by itself it guts the constitution. Doubt any of those things are going to happen regardless of spending time reading the constitution. But if Obama can play dog and pony so can the republicans. Thing is the people lose either way.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:59 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,654 times
I kinda assumed our lawmakers have already read the Constitution before they became lawmakers.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:24 AM

131 posts, read 209,132 times
So when they get to the 10th amendment... The Republicans are going to stop and try to repeal all federal drug laws right? No? Then shut up.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:30 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
GOP-controlled House To Open Congress With Reading Of Constitution...

The goal, backers said, is to underscore the limited-government rules the Founders imposed on Congress - and to try to bring some of those principles back into everyday legislating.

"Their proposal leads us down the same path of fiscal negligence that the GOP took the nation down when [Republicans] got rid of pay-go in 2002," said Rep. Chris Van Hollen, Maryland Democrat. "We know how that story ends: ballooning deficits and an economic crisis not seen since the Great Depression."

What?

US in United States 2000-2010 - Federal State Local Federal Deficit As Percent Of GDP&state=US&color=c&local=s&show=

Old 12-26-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
*YAWN*

Gimmick. They couldn't follow "limited government rules" the last time they had Congressional control, and i see no reason to believe that they'll do so this time. What they're actually underscoring is the fact that we all know and remember their last tenure.

A number of these new Representatives have never served in either house so as to have a "last tenure". We'll have to wait and see if they actually walk the walk. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise. The seat change is a positive development and the reading of the Constitution is a good sign.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
I kinda assumed our lawmakers have already read the Constitution before they became lawmakers.

Are you basing that assumption on their actions?

Old 12-26-2010, 12:53 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
*YAWN*

Is there a chance that the Republicans paid attention to the election that the Dems failed to understand what had happened and want to stay around? I just keep wondering about that since they have passed too much legislation since November 2 that those who determined the outcome of the election didn't want to see happen. I think that we must wait and see what they do rather than just sitting on our cans saying what they will do because of what they did before.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:09 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
What a cute bit of pageantry.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:26 AM

19,023 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Why?
The Congress didn't read laws they enacted, either.

FWIW - the real problem is the State of Emergency, in effect since 1933.

Emergency Powers Statutes, Senate Report SR 93-549, November 19, 1973
Senate Report 93-549
War and Emergency Powers Acts

"A majority of the people of the United States have lived all of their lives under emergency rule. For 40 years (1933-1973), freedoms and governmental procedures guaranteed by the Constitution have, in varying degrees, been abridged by laws brought into force by states of national emergency."
Most Americans have lived their entire lives under EMERGENCY RULES that abridge FREEDOMS guaranteed by the USCON...
(Yes, they TOOK AWAY our FREEDOMS, and have the arrogance to invade Asian nations to "preserve Freedom"!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies