U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 10:10 AM

35,817 posts, read 35,627,399 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Maryland, I declared my political party (D, R or I) when I registered to vote. My voter card showed my political affiliation.

In Tennessee, no one has any idea which party I belong to because you don't put it on your registration application and it's not on the card that allows me to vote. This bothers me because being new in the state, I need info on the local guys from my party. I also want the candidates of my party to survey me for my opinions on issues. How can they do that if they don't know I'm one of them?

Question 1

Are there many states where you don't declare your party when you register? How about your state?

Question 2

When you see a variety of statistics or poll results of registered voters where is that information coming from if they don't register you the same way in every state? Is the poll info coming just from your say-so that you are registered with Party A?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 12:27 PM

3,099 posts, read 8,537,189 times
I prefer NOT to declare a party.

I vote by the person NOT the party.

With that said, why NOT look in the yellow pages and call your local chapter. I am sure they will be glad to talk to you. Liz

Old 07-14-2007, 06:44 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,785,380 times
Our (Florida) voter ID cards show our party and we were asked when we registered how we wanted to register. Of course that was years ago, so maybe things have changed. However, we just got new ID cards last year and it shows our party affiliation.

I can understand not placing it on your card, but I don't understand why it's not on the state record. Does that mean you can vote in both primaries?

Look out! You'll be getting calls from ALL political parties now.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:53 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,070,923 times
In Colorado, you have to pick: Rep. Dem, Indy or other. So indy/other is the way to go.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:34 PM

35,817 posts, read 35,627,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post

I can understand not placing it on your card, but I don't understand why it's not on the state record. Does that mean you can vote in both primaries?

Look out! You'll be getting calls from ALL political parties now.
I asked some ladies doing voter registration at our annual festival a few weeks ago. Apparently, the primary voting procedure in TN is no different than the general election voting procedure. Everybody registered to vote, goes to the polls on the same day and votes for their candidate of choice. There is nothing to stop me, a Republican, from voting for a Democrat in the primaries. Let's say, for example, come election time, it's pretty clear to me which Republican is going to win in my state's primary, so instead of voting for my choice of Republican candidates, I instead vote for the Democrat, my candidate has the best chance to beat in the general election.

In other states if you are a registered Republican, for example, you vote in the Republican primary only. You can't up and decide on primary day to vote for a Democrat.

I don't like this.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:42 PM

3,099 posts, read 8,537,189 times
Many states hold their primaries on the same day and have the voting set up side by side...so you declare yourself then. Then they let you in to vote and you can't go back in and vote a second time... Liz

Old 07-15-2007, 12:25 AM

467 posts, read 270,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I asked some ladies doing voter registration at our annual festival a few weeks ago. Apparently, the primary voting procedure in TN is no different than the general election voting procedure. Everybody registered to vote, goes to the polls on the same day and votes for their candidate of choice. There is nothing to stop me, a Republican, from voting for a Democrat in the primaries. Let's say, for example, come election time, it's pretty clear to me which Republican is going to win in my state's primary, so instead of voting for my choice of Republican candidates, I instead vote for the Democrat, my candidate has the best chance to beat in the general election.

In other states if you are a registered Republican, for example, you vote in the Republican primary only. You can't up and decide on primary day to vote for a Democrat.

I don't like this.
My suggestion to you would be to get involved with your local party and work from a grassroots level to make the changes you see as detrimental to the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies