Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 09:52 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times

Advertisements

Everyone is forgetting the fact that the poor still have opportunities given to them through gov't entitlements and charitable organizations. Anyone saying the poor can't go to a good college (either due to cost or not having the opportunity) is ignoring the facts. Also, anyone can network and meet new people. Heck, look at all the social networking sites one can use for this purpose. I don't want to hear that the poor cannot make connections that will lead to better things.

On the flip side, not everyone who was born with a silver spoon in their mouth goes on to make something of themselves and earn their adult wealth on their own merits. But it is safe to say that the majority of rich folks at any given time are rich due to their own actions, not b/c their parents set up a trust fund, sent them to Harvard or bought them a business to run (well, in the case of the last scenario, one could definitely run the business into the ground instead of running it well, so it does have to do with the individual's decisions, but you get my point).

Anyone who is given an opportunity but passes it up has no one but himself to blame. Not the rich, not the poor, not the gov't, not your family or friends...just your own self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:14 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
I think it is rigged for the lazy people so they can steal from the successful rich people myself.

There is no reason anyone should be poor in America unless you are flat out unhealthy and cannot do any type of work.

The system is rigged so poor people can find ways not to get themselves out of the hole they dug themselves into.

We reward lazy people and take away from hard working successful people in America which is wrong.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,360,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And how did you decide that?
There are tons of sources that point out this disappointing reality. Sources which include "free-market" cheerleaders like Business Week and the Economist. Honestly, there is no longer any dispute to this truism...

Old 12-27-2010, 11:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I think it is rigged for the lazy people so they can steal from the successful rich people myself.
LOL...amazing.

For a minute, i thought you said "successful rich people like myself! I was really gonna fall on the floor laughing by butt off.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:54 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...amazing.

For a minute, i thought you said "successful rich people like myself! I was really gonna fall on the floor laughing by butt off.
Well heck I was able to retire at 40 with a lifetime of income from selling my business. Not too bad at all I would say.

Not rich, more then most people make working and a nice income every month for the next 30 years.

Now I can sit here and watch my ebay daily sales all day long and my websites bring in more affiliate income then I ever expected.

I am proof you can have whatever you want if you are willing to work for it.

The system is set up for anyone to do it if they just give it some effort.

Selling 50-75 items per day like I do every day on ebay tells me it can be done. A great thing to have a hobby you enjoy and make some bucks too!

2 rental homes with income, a condo in Myrtle Beach and moving to Florida soon all from working hard and from scratch is proof that the system is set up for anyone to become successful. Lazy people need not apply.

Nothing like the American dream of making money in your PJ's.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:36 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You still have not answered my question. I don't think an executive making $500,000 is going to start a flea market business just to save on taxes.

The bottom line is that people with high w-2 income are forced to pay very high taxes and those that complain about the rich and loopholes are full of BS.
Not to mention the state and city income tax. You also have obscene property and sales taxes.

My total annual tax liability is close to $100,000.

Isn't that enough?

Old 12-28-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Well heck I was able to retire at 40 with a lifetime of income from selling my business. Not too bad at all I would say.

Not rich, more then most people make working and a nice income every month for the next 30 years.

Now I can sit here and watch my ebay daily sales all day long and my websites bring in more affiliate income then I ever expected.

I am proof you can have whatever you want if you are willing to work for it.

The system is set up for anyone to do it if they just give it some effort.

Selling 50-75 items per day like I do every day on ebay tells me it can be done. A great thing to have a hobby you enjoy and make some bucks too!

2 rental homes with income, a condo in Myrtle Beach and moving to Florida soon all from working hard and from scratch is proof that the system is set up for anyone to become successful. Lazy people need not apply.

Nothing like the American dream of making money in your PJ's.
How dare you enjoy the fruits of your labor while so many are unemployed.

Great job!

Old 12-28-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Gates came from a very affluent family (he went to exclusive private schools). Dell came from an upper middle class family (son of a doctor).
Perhaps.

My children can say that they come from an upper middle class family.

How will that guarantee them success on their own?

Old 12-28-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I begged to differ. If you are rich you have better access to quality education, you have better access to social and business connections.

George W., Bush Jr. was not exceptionally hard working or intelligent. Yet he went to Yale University as a legacy admission based on his father attendance and he got his start in business with his father's money and business connections. His father's connections were also helpful when he decided to get involved in politcs.

That doesn't mean you can't be successful in this country if you work hard, get a great education or you are exceptionally intelligent. But to be really successful you'd better be on your game 100%, with the rich you can skate buy based on family money and connections and have doors opened to you that don't get opened to other people.
I'm sorry that you miss the point entirely.

How did Bill Clinton succeed?

How did Colin Powell succeed?

How did Condoleeza Rice succeed?

How did Oprah Winfrey succeed?

For every person that you can name who succeeded due to their pedigree, I can name thousands who did it on their own.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:13 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,243 times
But is that anecdotal?

How great a fraction of those who succeed come from wealth or affluence, and what fraction started out poor? How does this compare to other countries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies