U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Blogs, A Political Force?
No, I read blogs but they don't influence my voting preferences 5 35.71%
Yes, blogs influence how I will vote 3 21.43%
I pay no attention to political blogs 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:45 AM

62,284 posts, read 44,674,528 times

Advertisements

Mention in another thread prompts me to ask:

Are blogs a political force likely to influence a voter's choices?

I've never spent time with one myself, probably a generational thing. Just curious how big a force they've become.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 12:44 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,236,532 times
I say yes. Of course many spout nonsense and political rhetoric, and that's ignored.

But frequently even in blogs you can find intelligent discourse. When you watch the weekend news broadcasts, with the talking heads discussing the issues intelligently, it can make you think, and sometimes even change your mind on issues. The advantage of using blogs is you are not only watching what's being said, but you are actually sharing your ideas, and participating in the discussion.

So I guess it just comes down to what you want to get out of it. If one is the type of person who doesn't really want to discuss the issues, and only looks for a way to spout rhetoric, then one gains nothing from the conversation. But if you're looking for intelligent conversation on the issues then you are probably open minded enough to actually gain something from participating in the blog.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:42 PM

13,395 posts, read 41,941,736 times
Quote:
So I guess it just comes down to what you want to get out of it. If one is the type of person who doesn't really want to discuss the issues, and only looks for a way to spout rhetoric, then one gains nothing from the conversation. But if you're looking for intelligent conversation on the issues then you are probably open minded enough to actually gain something from participating in the blog.
Yes.
It really depends on the blog. I voted yes, partly just because there is so much helpful information out there.
Obviously we can't believe everything we read on the internet.
But can we believe everything career politicians tell us, either? :P
And you don't have to go to overtly political blogs to discuss the issues, though of course those have the most content. There are some out there which are not so attack-oriented and partisan.
From thoughtful,civil, reasonable discussion, sometimes new ways of thinking do develop. I think blogs are a force to be reckoned with these days.
That and YouTube.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:11 PM

62,284 posts, read 44,674,528 times
Thanks folks for your input.

I could use a little clarification, both have mentioned discussion. I was under the impression that a blog was more like one person's journal or public diary. Is it a case of the discussion being limited to the blog oqiginator's comments or ?????????

Old 07-14-2007, 02:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 41,941,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

I could use a little clarification, both have mentioned discussion. I was under the impression that a blog was more like one person's journal or public diary. Is it a case of the discussion being limited to the blog oqiginator's comments or ?????????
Yes.
For me, it's the comments under the blog entries that can be mighty interesting.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:07 PM

6,283 posts, read 3,821,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

As far as I know, your impression of blogs is correct. The comments offer different points of view, an opportunity to see things from another perspective, and to exchange ideas.

You can find some very intelligent people on some blogs. Considering a lot of our leaders are dumber than rocks, some blogs are refreshing. I find that listening to politicians is often an exercise in endurance. Seriously, sometimes I'd rather watch paint dry.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:51 PM

1,463 posts, read 5,814,602 times
Yes......Any type of dissemination of information not screened by a gatekeeper (editor,producer) is a ok with me......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or