Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:44 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,193,652 times

Advertisements

Gallup: Gay Relationships Top Issue Dividing Republicans, Democrats | The New Civil Rights Movement

This article says it is, and I would agree with it. There is no other issue that causes so much hate and vitriol to be thrown at the opposing viewpoint. There is no other issue where compromise is simply impossible (its all or nothing on both sides of the issue). We have reached a point where liberal or conservative is defined by pro-gay or anti-gay. Both the left and the right use this issue as a litmus test in choosing which candidates to support. To add to the divisiveness, I can't think of a social issue where more emotion is involved on both sides than this issue (bring up the issue in any social setting and people's emotions will run high quick no matter what side they are on.)

There have been two major social issues in the history of our nation that have polarized our country to the extreme and threatened to split this nation apart. The first was slavery and the second was the 1960s civil rights movement. Does anybody think gay rights could end up being the third? Are we as polarized now as we were in the late 1960s and 1970s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 03:46 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,299,719 times
No.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:47 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,764,023 times
Abortion

Old 12-26-2010, 03:48 PM

948 posts, read 1,382,630 times
While the article may have some merit I thing the biggest problem that Democrats and Republicans have is their so concerned about party that their to blind to realize that the other may have a good idea sometimes

Old 12-26-2010, 03:49 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,366,170 times
Illegal Immigration.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:50 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,127,804 times
It can't be the most polarizing issue because it cuts across all political and social lines. After all, the VP had a gay daughter who had a child through IVF. Just think, when the sec'y of state in the sixties had a daughter who wed a black guy, the secretary was thrown off university trustee boards! That did not happen with Cheney.

Dealing with homosexual folks is evolving, but it is no way near as polarizing as racial issues were.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:50 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,637,124 times
No. It's not even close. Most of us go about our lives and never give homosexuality a thought.

It would not make my top 25 issues.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:54 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,581,632 times
People are divided on whether or not homosexuality is morally acceptable, but I wouldn't call it a seriously polarizing issue because I don't think people feel that strongly about it. I think the abortion issue is much more polarizing because people are more passionate about their pro-choice or pro-life views.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:55 PM

47,875 posts, read 21,891,315 times
I really dont think that it is. And it is increasingly less a dividing issue among Americans......(now among politicians its a different story--even the closeted gay ones).....but most Americans could care less about someone elses sexual orientation.....particularly when listed with other important issues......Unemployment, National Security, Immigration, someone else's sexual orientation.....not much of a contest as far as I can see or according to national polling.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:56 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,193,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No. It's not even close. Most of us go about our lives and never give homosexuality a thought.

It would not make my top 25 issues.
So if you are a liberal, would you support a candidate who is liberal on all the other issues but thinks there should be a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage..or worse thinks sodomy should be re-criminalized? Or if you are a conservative, would you support a candidate conservative on every issue except they are for full marriage and adoption rights for gay couples as well as hate speech legislation? I highly doubt you would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
People are divided on whether or not homosexuality is morally acceptable, but I wouldn't call it a seriously polarizing issue because I don't think people feel that strongly about it. I think the abortion issue is much more polarizing because people are more passionate about their pro-choice or pro-life views.
Abortion is up there close to homosexuality, but at least there is room for compromise there (as a lot more people think abortion should remain legal under a varying degree of circumstances but should have some limits i.e. ban partial birth abortion, parental notification, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies