Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should children or adults be held responsible for the actions of their parents or adult relatives?
No, this should never happen 54 83.08%
Yes, in some cases I feel it should take place 11 16.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:39 PM

89,011 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddiva View Post
No, no they don't. And I lean about as far left as one can get without falling into the ocean. But nice try.
Democrats are against the estate tax? Prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 10:27 AM

1,166 posts, read 876,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
We are a nation of laws. Society breaks down when those laws are ignored/aren't enforced and we accommodate the law breakers. I'm more interested in seeing "anchor babies" overturned. I think the "dream act" would have had more support if it was only the military aspect and not college students.
So we should blindly respect whatever laws are in place, regardless of whether they are unjust or not?

And how do you feel about the fact that laws change over time? What was legal 10 years ago might be illegal now, or vice versa. So when something is illegal we should respect the law and follow it, but if it's made legal then it's automatically accepted and okay? I think it's better to have a set position on something rather than let your opinion be swayed by the current laws/whatever society deems "unacceptable" at that point in time.

If you give yourself over to following public opinion or whatever laws are currently in place, your opinion will never remain the same, as social norms and what's acceptable is constantly changing. IMO much better to have your opinions set in stone that to follow how the fickle majority of people feel about them.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:14 PM

2,659 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
We are a nation of laws. Society breaks down when those laws are ignored/aren't enforced and we accommodate the law breakers. I'm more interested in seeing "anchor babies" overturned. I think the "dream act" would have had more support if it was only the military aspect and not college students.
Doesn't going to college make it likely they are the sort of person that will further our society?

Old 01-24-2019, 03:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I guess this is a pretty simple question that seems to have been brought up a lot lately with the Dream Act Amnesty failure and I'm wondering how most people feel about this. I know we have an illegal immigration forum but this isn't just about the Dreamers, I'm just asking in general if children or adults should ever be held responsible for the actions of their parents or other relatives.

Is there anything that would cause you to change your stance on the situation?
It depends.

Should a child get to keep the money from his dad robbing a bank? Should assets that provide quality of life to the child ever be seized? A child lose their home due to foreclosure? The breadwinner get hauled to prison for a few years for assault?

One of the consequences for the actions of a parent(s), whether good or bad, is the impact on the child. To keep a child from the consequences of a parent's actions (assume negative in this case) means essentially never to punish an adult that has almost any relation to a child.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:24 AM

325 posts, read 207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Think about it... this is EXACTLY what Democrats want. They want to tax heirs on the inheritance their parents or other adult relatives leave them. Democrats are ALL FOR holding children and adults responsible for the actions (in this case, saving and investing) of their parents or adult relatives.

ANYONE in politics or those folks like Gates and Buffett are safe when pushing for increase in taxes. These folks have their money safely protected and will still have full access to the lifestyle they currently lead.

Advocating for higher taxes of any kind on the wealthy plays well with the Villagers and keeps the pitchforks and torches away.

My parents are millionaires and their occupations were middle school teacher and construction worker. They've been married coming up on 60 years. They achieved their net worth by pure frugal spending. They have never taken a real vacation. They keep a vehicle for decades until the darn thing just falls apart. I only remember them going to the movies no more than a dozen times over the decades. They go to church every Sunday. I remember a few day trips to a local lake. Eating out was unheard of growing up. Gardening was a big summer time activity. Same with my husbands parents, his mom was a stay-at-home of 7 and his dad was a carpenter. They were even more frugal. Kids had to share a can of soda...and yes, the young kids had to share bathwater like in the olden days.

My maternal grandparents were farmers on 80a who didn't get a bathroom inside their house until the early 70's and my paternal grandparents..a housewife and construction worker.

As far as I'm concerned no one has a right to take away what they worked so hard to create and save for. Yes, they made it to the millionaire mark by frugal living and hard work.

Last edited by CentralUSHomeowner; 03-08-2019 at 12:10 PM..

Old 03-08-2019, 11:36 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Individuals should be held accountable for their own actions, not those of others.

In the case of immigration, the child of the illegal immigrant is also in the country illegally. Regardless of how we feel about immigration law, those laws exist, and if you're 5 years old or 50, being in the country illegally is breaking those laws. So if a 5 year old is here illegally, they are in fact breaking the effing law. How they came to be breaking the law is a matter for judges and juries to figure out in the courts, but their illegal presence in this country is THEM BREAKING THE LAW.

Think of it this way - if the parents go out and leave the kids with the babysitter, and while out they commit a crime, then no, we wouldn't hold that crime against the child sitting at home. But if the child went with them on the crime and actively participated in the crime, we'd hold them accountable for being an accessory/partner in the crime, as we should. Again, we have courts to help figure all this out.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:38 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
NO but a child shouldn't benefit from their parents crimes. Its like let's say you've lived a comfortable life as a kid but one day the FBI comes to your house and arrests your father whom you discover was involved in organized crime. They confiscate his ill-gotten gains including your fancy house and the car he bought you with drug money. Would that be considered punishing you for his actions? You wouldn't have had the good life if he wasn't a criminal.

Same with illegals. Their entire life in America is a result of their parents crime. By default they shouldn't even be here. So NO they're not entitlted to continued welfare. And besides most liberals even want the illegal parents themselves to have amnesty.

In contrast, even when a child is conceived in rape, this child is still innocent. Yet liberals and Democrats think its okay for Planned Parenthood to murder this child in cold blood for the father's crime. Ironically many Democrats don't even think the rapist himself should get the death penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies