Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 01:41 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times

Advertisements

This is not about terrorism, it's about control. In the "boiling frogs" process we are close to done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 01:45 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
This is not about terrorism, it's about control. In the "boiling frogs" process we are close to done.
Speak for yourself.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get from the stove to the floor without breaking a leg - then to the door.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:46 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And next at the train station, the bus terminal, the entrance to every public building?
Sports arenas, schools, churches, hospitals...

Old 12-27-2010, 01:48 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Sports arenas, schools, churches, hospitals...
And finally, Pork Chop John's.

Pork Chop John's Sandwich Shops in Butte and Southwest Montana

No profiling here, though.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And next at the train station, the bus terminal, the entrance to every public building?
They already got the bus stations..Greyhound.
They are looking at the trains..Amtrak
They are now educating the mall cops..Paul Blart x 100

Every min wage security guard in America is becoming a terrorist expert

Old 12-27-2010, 01:58 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
sticking the hand inside the vagina is offensive no matter who it subject to it.
lol

Old 12-27-2010, 02:00 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
But a point that several people miss is that the evolving security procedures... even those that appear to be defending against the last attack rather than the next one... have already saved lives. The underwear bomber (for example) did not fail just because his bomb didn't work, he failed because security procedures have forced terrorists to resort to tactics more likely to not work... like underwear bombs.
They also don't realize that there are no statistics available on how many people considering an attack haven't been able to attempt it because of security measures.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
OK I'll try explaining it to you as if I were to a second grader.

The more that we allow the government to control what we have to endure or go through in the name of safety without question, the faster they get to gain total control of EVERYTHING & we are no longer a free society.
Now I get it, you are one of those people who disagrees & will call this a tinfoil hat conspiracy thing, so you will allow the guberment to tell you just what they need to do to keep you safe & you will drink that kool-aid & be fine with it.
Thankfully there are some of us who question things like this for ALL of us.

I know you have heard the very accurate quote from Ben Franklin "Those who give up essential Liberty for a little temporary Safety,deserve neither".
Once we swallow the TSA infringements, they will come up with something else to keep us safe & then something else & something else, before ya know it, we will be a prisoner of "safety".
This has happened before in Germany.
Really, I don't think anyone needs the government to tell us that keeping bombers off planes makes us safer. That's not kool-aid, that's common sense. I don't think any of us are so stupid that we think that after 9-11, that terrorists won't try to blow up planes again, and if any of us are that stupid, then maybe the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber would remedy that stupidity. The facts are quite simple, the better our security measures, the better chance we all have of flying safely. I don't want to fly without knowing that everything that could be done has been done to assure my safety. And what I find ridiculous is that many of the people who are so outraged about pat-downs are the same people who think profiling is the right thing to do. Because when you are talking about infringements in Germany, you might think long and hard about how profiling was used to accomplish those infringements.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
But a point that several people miss is that the evolving security procedures... even those that appear to be defending against the last attack rather than the next one... have already saved lives. The underwear bomber (for example) did not fail just because his bomb didn't work, he failed because security procedures have forced terrorists to resort to tactics more likely to not work... like underwear bombs.

We have dodged a bullet or two, and will not be able to dodge all of them. But let's not forget that it's easier to dodge a zip gun than a rifle. The TSA procedures cannot make us perfectly safe. But they can make us more safe.
The TSA has no jurisdiction outside of the US.
So how do you prevent a terrorist, like all the ones so far, from boarding a plane bound for the US ?

TSA record...0 terrorists
Passengers have a better track record.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:08 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Americans today need a refresher course on "Civil Disobedience", an important book that's probably no longer taught in today's public schools-

On the Duty of Civil Disobedience
by Henry David Thoreau

[1849, original title: Resistance to Civil Government]
I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I believe--"That government is best which governs not at all"; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which the will have. Government is at best but an expedient; but most governments are usually, and all governments are sometimes, inexpedient. The objections which have been brought against a standing army, and they are many and weighty, and deserve to prevail, may also at last be brought against a standing government. The standing army is only an arm of the standing government. The government itself, which is only the mode which the people have chosen to execute their will, is equally liable to be abused and perverted before the people can act through it.
Please wake up, America. Soon, very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies