Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 10:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Well said. Its her 15 minutes of fame. She knew what would happen if she refused and went thru it anyways. If you are gonna fly, then you should be ready to do what they say. Plan to resist, don't fly.
By the way, if Airlines didn't like this then they would hire their own people and raise their ticket prices to pay for it.
I think many are walking into this blind thinking they won't get this enhanced patdown. It's been played down big time by TSA and DHS talking about how few actually have to go through this.

Until YOU get singled out for this you too might just be complacent thinking about safety. Until then many think the odds are in their favor that they won't be subjected to this.

The airlines don't have a choice..the TSA is part of DHS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:55 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
As I posted though..it's happening all over the US at various airports so it's not just a standard APD thing.

And, as I re-read that article, they may be mixing TSA with APD.
It was TSA that released a statement, not APD about the arrest.
Understand it's happening all over, I was commenting SPECIFICALLY upon APD. APD is always there, along w/ ABIA security and then TSA. TSA is the enforcement arm, APD does the physical detaining, so that everyone gets to bill the gov't. for their little piece of the pie.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:55 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,069,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Is no one concerned about the loss of our freedom?
The "freedom to fly" is not a Constitutionally protected right.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And neither is the freedom to take a train.
And neither is the freedome to take a greyhound bus.
And neither is the freedom to take a boat.

I guess you still have your car until they set up checkpoints on the highways.

The constitution does protect your freedom to travel within the US though and at some point that freedom will be lost when there is no mode of transportation that is TSA grope-free. By then it will be too late to voice your opposition.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,913,622 times
There was an article in USA Today in which some researchers questioned whether the full body scans actually worked and doubted whether they were capable of detecting the difference between human flesh and plastic.

nb. do not have a link as I read the paper version.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:10 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,262 times
Quote:
Quote:
[SIZE=+1]The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. [/SIZE]
Technicalities and details...now we know that SCOTUS will rule that traveling is not protected under the 4th amendment w/ respect to leisure, but if you're engaged in commerce for your corporation or personal business and have to travel, it might be the opening to crack the veil.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:15 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Woman arrested at ABIA after refusing enhanced pat down | kvue.com | Austin, Texas News | KVUE | Austin, TX | Breaking News

Austin-Bergstrom International Airport - Texas
Hirschkind said because of the [pacemaker-type] device in her body, she was led to a female TSA employee and three Austin police officers. She says she was told she was going to be patted down.
"I turned to the police officer and said, 'I have given no due cause to give up my constitutional rights. You can wand me,'" and they said, 'No, you have to do this,'" she said.
Hirschkind agreed to the pat down, but on one condition.
"I told them, 'No, I'm not going to have my breasts felt,' and she said, 'Yes, you are,'" said Hirschkind.
When Hirschkind refused, she says that "the police actually pushed me to the floor, (and) handcuffed me. I was crying by then. They drug me 25 yards across the floor in front of the whole security."
An ABIA spokesman says it is TSA policy that anyone activating a security alarm has two options. One is to opt out and not fly, and the other option is to subject themselves to an enhanced pat down. Hirschkind refused both and was arrested.
I am appalled that we live in a country where we cannot defend our personal values about being touched by strangers without being subjected to embarrassment and harassment. All I can think of when reading and watchign this is Nazi Germany, I'm sorry. It makes me literally sick to my stomach.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And neither is the freedom to take a train.
Absolutely true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan
And neither is the freedome to take a greyhound bus.
Also true.

Quote:
And neither is the freedom to take a boat.
Also true.

Quote:
I guess you still have your car until they set up checkpoints on the highways.
I live in San Diego. We have checkpoints on the highway.

Quote:
The constitution does protect your freedom to travel within the US though and at some point that freedom will be lost when there is no mode of transportation that is TSA grope-free. By then it will be too late to voice your opposition.
Nonsense.

TSA "groping" does not prevent anybody from traveling. Individual personal sensitivity to being "groped," on the other hand, can be intensely limiting to your options.

An individual's personal squeamishness about being scanned or patted down is no more the responsibility of the TSA to accommodate than is any individual's fear of flying. You want to avoid it? Make different travel choices.

Freedom to travel does not equal freedom to be a security risk for your fellow travelers.

(BTW... I've flown exactly 14 times since the new screening procedures when into effect. I've never been "groped" once. I always choose to go through the scanners. Odd how that works.)

Old 12-27-2010, 11:18 AM

You highlighted the wrong word:

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Freedom to travel does not equal freedom to be a security risk for your fellow travelers.

(BTW... I've flown exactly 14 times since the new screening procedures when into effect. I've never been "groped" once. I always choose to go through the scanners. Odd how that works.)
The TSA has 0 captures on it's record.
Not a single terrorist has been captured boarding a plane IN the US.

These terrorists board planes in other countries on their way to the US.

And if you are singled out you do not get a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies