Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,538,788 times

Advertisements

really? and their are too many kids who don't even have parents to begin with let alone gay ones!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 01:52 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,605,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
really? and their are too many kids who don't even have parents to begin with let alone gay ones!
And that's a reason to let them be raised by an immoral couple that will only confuse them and screw up their lives worse?

Old 01-03-2011, 02:40 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,879,591 times
To those who say having a child late in life is selfish -- everything we do is selfish. Yes, that means YOU, too! Bringing a child into a horrible world, of an overburdened world, could be seen as selfish. Having a child when you have little money could be seen as selfish. Having a child when your marriage isn't very happy could be seen as selfish. This could go on forever; feel free to add to the list.

If Elton and his partner are in good health, then the ages don't matter. I'm sure that the child or children of older parents would rather be alive than not, even though yes, it is sad to lose a parent when you are young. Do you seriously think that anyone would say "gee, my dad was too old to play tackle football with me -- I wish I were dead!" It's just nonsense.

I had parents in their 30's when I was born and no one played ball with me. Big deal! Why on earth would anyone think rigorous physical activity is somehow a prereq to having children? Is that what parenting is all about? I thought it was about sharing love and teaching values, and experiencing life together. There is so much to share. Some families are not athletic no matter how young they are.

Honestly . . . the strange notions people hold never cease to amaze me.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 PM

3,011 posts, read 6,293,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Very old people having children (and let's face it...62 is pretty old) seems little more than an act of pure selfishness.

What of the child? What will he/she get but a father too old to play with them, old enough to probably die before they reach adulthood? At that age, it's unlikely John, or anyone else, will live long enough to see the child even graduate from high school, let alone be there for them when they're grown. With the Father facing the prospect of declining health, who will be nurturing whom? And, at what age will the child have to begin dealing with that? 5? 10? 14?

Frankly, I think that's all quite a burden to put on a child just so you can have a legacy of some sort.
It depends. My own father was 45 when I was born and I couldn't have asked for a better one. He was around for all 3 of my graduations..HS, military and college and beyond.

Now granted, there is a huge gap between 45 and 62, and 45 can still be considered "too old" by some standards to be a first time father. Then again, maybe not.

Chronologically, 62 could technically be "old", but people are living longer and acting younger than they were 20-30 years ago.

I'm 46 and hope to be a father either by adoptive or biological means. My wife is much younger , of course. More than likely, we will go the adoptive route and adopt a 3-4 year old.

10-15, 20 years ago, I was in NO way father material. It was all about ME and the prospect of bringing a child into this world and being responsible frightened me.

If being a father brings Elton happiness, more power to him. If his intentions are indeed good, that's one less child in the world without a father.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:50 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,072,688 times
from a child's perspective---fact is BOTH parents may not be around long--why did he not adopt an older child?there are so many out there needing families and he would NOT be denied because of his age---being a talented performer does not equate with being a good parent and i do see this as a narcisstic thing and possibly not in the best interest for the child--why now and not earlier--btw this is a man that had many issues--are they resolved----is this a michael jackson adventure for this child??

Old 01-03-2011, 02:52 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,532,290 times
I think it's fabulous!! Congrats to him and his husband, David Furnish!!

Old 01-03-2011, 02:55 PM

957 posts, read 1,129,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What do you all think of a 62-year-old man having a child?
I think he's a megalomaniac idiot (and his partner too) , he makes me puke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies