Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 04:42 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
For the people who are borrowing? Who else? The cost of education is ridiculous. If the average first year teacher in CA is making about $40,000 (50-60 if a masters) yet they are in debt, then where's the incentive? Or what about doctors going 100-200k in debt? What about social workers? The list goes on.

It's unsustainable and wrong. We shouldn't have a system that ladles debt onto our youth. It's the opposite of what we should be doing. You shouldn't start in a hole.

If you don't get the point, then that's crying a shame. Hopefully most people get the point.
Great. Live in a box, under the freeway, and give ALL of your money to people to pay for their educations. Leave my money alone.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:10 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think the incentive is to stay employed. For instance,one could be a nurse with an associates. However,many now want a bachelors. The unemployment rate for nurses with a bachelors is lower than those with an associates. In these economic times employers can pick the most educated one without it affecting the bottom line,because both types get paid the same amount.
To stay employed is the incentive for teachers, etc? Good luck trying to find a teaching job or a job in social services. Many states are cutting back in those fields. Couple it with high education costs, its a disaster.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Great. Live in a box, under the freeway, and give ALL of your money to people to pay for their educations. Leave my money alone.
That's pretty shortsighted and lacks any critical analysis of the situation. Why waste time posting? You may disagree (which that is pretty odd in of itself), however, why the hyperbole? You realize that education funding has decreased while military funding as significantly increased. Why not just change priorities? I don't think that you thought your post out that much.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I read. It's been in newspapers and magazines for several years now about the astonishing lack of literacy and basic math skills in college gradutates today.

Literacy of College Graduates Is on Decline - washingtonpost.com

"It's appalling -- it's really astounding," said Michael Gorman, president of the American Library Association and a librarian at California State University at Fresno. "Only 31 percent of college graduates can read a complex book and extrapolate from it. That's not saying much for the remainder."

Students can't handle reading tasks - U.S. news - Education - msnbc.com

Nearing a diploma, most college students cannot handle many complex but common tasks, from understanding credit card offers to comparing the cost per ounce of food.

You do know that what you posted is not the same as your statement that "20% of college graduates are functionally illiterate"? Which makes the irony of you posting this very amusing.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
For the people who are borrowing? Who else? The cost of education is ridiculous. If the average first year teacher in CA is making about $40,000 (50-60 if a masters) yet they are in debt, then where's the incentive? Or what about doctors going 100-200k in debt? What about social workers? The list goes on.

It's unsustainable and wrong. We shouldn't have a system that ladles debt onto our youth. It's the opposite of what we should be doing. You shouldn't start in a hole.

If you don't get the point, then that's crying a shame. Hopefully most people get the point.
Why is everyone concerned about someone else's debts?

Old 12-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why is everyone concerned about someone else's debts?
Do you remember the financial crash of 2007? People should have been MORE concerned with debt and ridiculously inflated prices for basics.

Another reason, I like the idea that America has decent schools and social services. These relatively low paying professions are not able to recruit as much since people would rather not be in debt. So what happens? Less teachers qualified teachers and social workers. That's not good for a modern society.

I don't understand why you wouldn't be concerned.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Do you remember the financial crash of 2007? People should have been MORE concerned with debt and ridiculously inflated prices for basics.

Another reason, I like the idea that America has decent schools and social services. These relatively low paying professions are not able to recruit as much since people would rather not be in debt. So what happens? Less teachers qualified teachers and social workers. That's not good for a modern society.

I don't understand why you wouldn't be concerned.
Doctoring is a low-paying profession? Coulda fooled me!

There is no teacher shortage at the moment; in fact, there is a surplus of teachers in many areas. I don't know about social workers.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Doctoring is a low-paying profession? Coulda fooled me!

There is no teacher shortage at the moment; in fact, there is a surplus of teachers in many areas. I don't know about social workers.
Actually if you're in residency it's not that great...esp when paying off $100,000=$200,000 and paying a lot in liability.

There is a shortage of teachers in the classroom and projected to be a shortage in of those entering into the profession.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:49 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,464,507 times
Ultimately it is the responsibility of the borrower to understand the terms and obligations of the loan.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:51 PM

Not to mention that not everyone who goes to college will be a doctor. However, they will still be doing things that are still needed. Do we discount that and let services go by the wayside? It's really not a hard concept to wrap your mind around that there are low paying professions that need a college degree and are essential to our society.

Why degrade our standard of living due to greed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.