Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That is a poor habit and can lead to all kinds of unnecessary disagreements.
That poster didn't say anything that you should disagree with. He spoke the truth. And it's not a poor habit. It's something that is forced upon you when people say things in a surreptitious fashion without coming out and saying what they REALLY mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 03:35 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,213 times
Quote:
Wow! I would hate to see a system that you think does not work.
WOW ...reading between the lines here, I would love to see more than a one liner smart a** answer from some but, I guess thats asking to much, eh?
I don't think you know enough about how the welfare system works, it has problems & many of them but, I have seen it work.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:26 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Reading between lines is required in these forums.
I've found when I suspect a statement has a hidden meaning it's better to ask the author to clarify rather than assuming. It's an easy way to avoid misunderstandings.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I've found when I suspect a statement has a hidden meaning it's better to ask the author to clarify rather than assuming. It's an easy way to avoid misunderstandings.
Sure it is. But as of now, my assumptions are usually proven to be correct and what they're actually saying is rarely if ever misunderstood by me.

When my percentage of false assumptions actually goes up, i'll do it your way.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:00 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Why do these people, who trot upon the moral high road so proudly, never take issue with surburban/rural meth addicts, unwed teen moms with crazy baby daddies (from Alaska ), well-heeled alcoholic wife beaters, the rich cocaine/oxycontin addict radio host, politicians and their high-priced callgirls(or callguys hiding in bathroom stalls), celebrity rehab addicts or charletan televangelists? No, its always the children on welfare that are the demise of our society.
Who said they don't take issue with at least some of the items you listed?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:03 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
I don't know anybody who would disagree with these statements. You are exactly right.
Pro-abortion people hate welfare babies.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Again you've failed to substantiate your link from military spending, or more precisely the number of CD posts about military spending, to this discussion of welfare babies.
Exactly. And he never will, because it's impossible.

Federal Budget Spending and the National Debt

HHS spending far surpasses DOD spending, whereas in recent years, it has been a much closer margin .

This chart only shows FEDERAL dollars spent on social programs. It does not include the state and local monies that go toward propping up the poor. Military expenditures per state arguably pale in comparison to that which is spent by the Feds, so yes, military spending is up there but does not really even rival money spent on the poor.

FWIW, I think the DOD needs some budget cuts, as does almost every gov't agency in existence. The thing is, people get so angry about giving handouts to the poor b/c 1) it is handing money to people who will likely take advantage of the situation and 2) it does not really even help anything, since it is often abused for the long-term and the people get trapped in this poverty cycle, and go on to teach their kids the same value system (or lack thereof). It's directly taking my money, and yours, and that of everyone else who works, and giving it to people who don't even appreciate it, don't feel like working, and will squeeze every dollar they can get so they can live a life of frivolousness and irresponsibility.

Oh yeah, and I can say from firsthand experience that the threads on CD regarding DOD spending and corporate handouts do not get as much attention as the ones regarding welfare for the poor. As I have mentioned before, I started a thread on it a few weeks ago and not one person commented on it, even after all the yammering about how CD posters hate the poor and are okay with massive war spending and corporate bailouts.

Disclaimer: Not everyone who receives welfare does this. Please do not argue with me about how many people do this and how I have no evidence of widespread abuse. Please discuss the facts on expenditures and social Darwinism.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:21 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Keep your moral code out of my wallet!
WELL then you better start paying the governement for all the public school education you received FOR FREE. WHY am I forced to pay for education of POOR children when mine attend private school???

Oh yeah, this is AMERICA.

Quote:
It's a very stupid policy that the government promotes people having children who cannot afford them. Pays them to breed.
COOL so then you want free Abortions for anyone who wants them. Because that is a sure way to shrink the baby population.

BTW you all know there is no more Welfare RIGHT? You just don't GET FREE MONEY anymore.

Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The bill added a workforce development component to welfare legislation, encouraging employment among the poor. The bill was a cornerstone of the Republican Contract With America and was introduced by Rep. E. Clay Shaw, Jr. (R-FL-22) who believed welfare was partly responsible for bringing immigrants to the United States.[1] Bill Clinton signed PRWORA into law on August 22, 1996, fulfilling his 1992 campaign promise to "end welfare as we know it".[2] PRWORA instituted Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) which became effective July 1, 1997. TANF replaced Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) program which had been in effect since 1935 and also supplanted the Job Opportunities and Basic Skills Training (JOBS) program of 1988. The law was heralded as a "reassertion of America's work ethic" by the US Chamber of Commerce, largely in response to the bill's workfare component. TANF was reauthorized in the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005.

• Ending welfare as an entitlement program;
  • Requiring recipients to begin working after two years of receiving benefits;
  • Placing a lifetime limit of five years on benefits paid by federal funds;
  • Aiming to encourage two-parent families and discouraging out-of-wedlock births.
  • Enhancing enforcement of child support.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Are you kidding me? Have you read through some of these posts? or the other threads about welfare, UE or the poor?
The poor have been called everything from 'leeches' to 'lazy bums' & on & on.
There are also some who absolutely have suggested the forced sterilization of the poor.
The welfare system does work.
It needs improvements & possible overhaul because with the rapidly rising rate that the US has seen of those who have lost jobs, homes, etc it is becoming harder & harder to sustain. Benefits are already being cut drastically in some states.

It is NOT the fault of the poor. Do you not find it interesting that suddenly everybody is talking about welfare & food stamps? Why do you think that is? Possibly because people are waking up to the fact out country is in trouble & it is easier to explain it away by saying it's those lazy people who keep having babies on welfare?
BTW for every WOMAN having a baby on welfare just remember there is a man involved & I'm not hearing so much about them here on CD.

Poverty is NOT increasing because of those who already are poor.
It is because there are so many who are now becoming poor.
LOL at the bolded statements.

It needs overhaul b/c there are too many moochers, both old and new to the system.

It is absolutely the fault of most of the poor. I have not met one single person who has not made a lifestyle of welfare. I have not met one single person who did not research and receive every handout available to them and then proceed to purchase lunches/dinners out, new clothing when there is nothing wrong with the old, fashionable sunglasses, sodas, etc. while not even having a job. I probably live more cheaply than they do and we are a dual-income family. I have no problem going to Goodwill to buy my clothes, heck, a pair of work pants for DH for $7, you can't beat that. A pair of patent leather Bandolino heels for $10...I have found some great deals and I have no shame. I often go to McDonald's or Taco Bell rather than a steakhouse. I use coupons, I almost always choose to make my purchases when something is on sale (or buy used on eBay), I buy cheap crap from Walmart and then deal with it when it wears out (like towels and pots and pans), I am extremely energy conscious with my house and gas efficient with my car. If I can do it, and I'm not poor, why should we be okay with the poor not using their (our) monies wisely? And before anyone screams that I'm jealous of the poor, no, I just see value in pinching pennies so I can have nicer things down the road when I may not be physically able to work a full time job. I realize that my future depends on me and me alone (well, my hubby has something to do with it, too) and I know I have to make my own way because nobody else will make it for me.

And FYI...I'm pretty sure nobody here on CD thinks very highly of baby daddies who walk away and leave their child with a mother who probably neglects them and chooses to rely on social services to purchase formula for the baby while she goes out and buys the latest fashions.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:39 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
WOW ...reading between the lines here, I would love to see more than a one liner smart a** answer from some but, I guess thats asking to much, eh?
I don't think you know enough about how the welfare system works, it has problems & many of them but, I have seen it work.

So, tell us how it works. We have rampant poverty with kids being raised in pitiful conditions. Is that what you call "working"?

Nobody said that it was a 100% failure.

The results, not the effort, are what defines "working".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies