Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 05:34 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,906,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post

Now, the packs have really mulitplied and have become quite large. The problem is that the wolves are taking out the other critters. Deer, Elk, Bison.
In Colorado, there has been a problem with elk and deer overpopulation--not to mention chronic wasting disease. Don't wolves help keep that down?
Quote:
Nobody can just shoot a wolf. You have to have a permit, and the permit says what you can shoot and what you can't shoot. You have to be protecting your herd. If a wolf is stalking your cows, you can take it out, but only with a permit. You can't just roam the hills and hunt wolves.
But it happens anyway.
Defenders of Wildlife will pay ranchers for lost stock.
Here is another opinion on the Yellowstone packs.
Yellowstone packs (http://wolves.wordpress.com/2007/02/27/location-map-of-the-greater-yellowstone-wolf-packs/ - broken link)
Aerial hunting, as they do in Alaska, just makes me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 05:43 AM

356 posts, read 1,176,805 times
Lightbulb Another view

delisting wolves - reintroduction, managing endangered species

The US Fish and Wildlife proposal is to delist the Grey Wolf off the endangered list, and give management back to the states.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:13 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,561,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
In Colorado, there has been a problem with elk and deer overpopulation--not to mention chronic wasting disease. Don't wolves help keep that down?

But it happens anyway.
Yellowstone packs (http://wolves.wordpress.com/2007/02/27/location-map-of-the-greater-yellowstone-wolf-packs/ - broken link)
Good post as usual Cil . I am saddened to hear that the US government has no appreciation of the natural wonders you are so lucky to possess . Wolves , Bears and Beavers became pretty much extinct in the UK in the late middle ages due to over hunting and now other European countries are having to re-introduce bears for example in France and beavers in the UK. America is a natural wonder and your amazing wildlife is something to be proud of and delighted about. What is the point of having a National park if it offers no protection to wild species ? Yes ,wolves will kill some cattle, that is what wolves do and let's remember they were there first. In France there are I think around 10 bears in the whole country ( !!!) , the farmers are compensated for every head of lamb or cattle killed and yet the farmers try to shot them and poison them. It makes me so angry that our natural heritage is being desecrated in such a way. We have encroached on all these creatures natural habitats for far too long now, we have to find a way to co-exist. Wolves are a wonderful specie , intelligent, fascinating and we must protect them. This sounds like another knee jerk reaction by people who have no understanding of the beauty and wonder which surrounds them. Wolves are no danger to humans unless threatened ( they are one of the shiest animals on earth) so I can't imagine that many tourists have been devoured by any ! Nature is supposed to be wild and untamed , if this is the attitude, why don't we just landscape all national parks and make them into golf course... It all seems as usual to boil down to money and quite frankly this is just despicable.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:01 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,277,851 times
We have bears here in Florida and recently they had one that had wandered into a neighborhood. He was tagged so they knew he had done this before.

Rather then catching him and taking him somewhere safe they killed the poor thing. I could'nt help but believe there had to be a better solution then just killing him.

They were saying that he was no longer affraid of humans etc. There still has to be a better solution then just killing an animal like that.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:12 PM

525 posts, read 2,346,539 times
Can you believe this crap. The human species continues to spreed out and take the rest of the living creatures "down" because they can. I'll tell ya, I am in Southern Tier NY in the middle of no where with Coyotes, bear, wolves are now being spotted. In fact at 2:30 am last night during my last potty-break with the dogs, I heard something in the dark that made me skidattle right back in fast! Did I want to get the gun and kill whatever it was so I could wander in the woods in the midlle of the night? NO. I made sure all the windows were closed (bear can get through screens) locked the doors and went to bed. I am the lucky one to have the privledge to live HERE-the territory of the Coys, bears, dears, turkey, beavers, herons, wolves perhaps (will not believe it till I see it).

It pisses me off to my core that the most DESTRUCTIVE species continues to spreed out and *itch about wildlife making their lives hard. Move to THE CITY if you don't want to live among wildlife. If you are a scardy cat and can't deal, than don't live there!!

So tragic, wolves are beautiful and amazing creatures-far more than the humans involved in this scheme.

Last edited by JustSayNo; 07-15-2007 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-15-2007, 12:43 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,907,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post

But it happens anyway.
Yes, in my area, overpopulation has been wonderfully handled by the fish and game. You know, licenses to hunt are issued based on the population and what the vegitation can handle. For instance, if the vegitation can handle 50 head in a particular area and they are expecting 100 head by this fall, they'll issue the appropriate amount of licenses to bring the herd down to a reasonable level to compensate for vegitation. They also take into account winter kill, starvation, natural reductions in numbers. Pretty hard to balance, but they do a good job of it.

I've even seen, where an area needed to have at least 65% of the tags filled in order to reduce the size of the herd or they were looking at cronic waste disease by the next summer. Because of weather, only 10% were brought down. So they extended the dates by another 30 days. They still didn't reach their goals. So they extended the dates again. Still not enough. They did cut it off there, and helicoptered feed into the elk herds to help compensate for the lack of vegitation.

The one problem with expecting the wolves to clean up the herd is, there's no reliable set number they're going to clean up. Earlier I mentioned a herd of 50 going to 100. Logically, we need to clear out 50 head. The wolves may take 10, or they may take 90. Either way causes problems.

So they've got to watch the numbers on a lot of different critters out there and try and come up with a harmonious conclusion.

So far, the Wyoming Fish and Game has done better then any other state I've ever lived in.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:16 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,595,612 times
I heard Bush also passed a proposal that encourages shooting kittens for fun. Darn him!!!!

Old 07-15-2007, 01:48 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,971,669 times
There is no animal problem....only a people problem.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:54 PM

105 posts, read 323,794 times
For everyones information,yes they do want to delist the wolf but that means legalized hunting.I hate to say it but i am a hunter but i was also taught to not kill anything you couldnt eat and usually i took one deer a year if that.
These people that hunt wolves, all they want to do is have it stuffed and mounted on the wall so they can show all their freinds how tough they are to kill a wolf with a gun.It takes a real man to kill something from 200 yards away with a gun that has teeth that cant reach 200 yards.
If you cant eat it and your family doesnt need the meat to have meat on the table then dont kill it.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,298,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I recently found out that people kill squirrels in a lot of places.

That really saddened me. Squirrels are cute, funny little furry animals. Yeah, they can dig holes in yards -- but who cares?

Even golf courses could expand beyond the usual 18-hole affair and offer 35 or 190 holes...

I'm sorry, but I can't support killing squirrels... And, as soon as I have the money, I'd like to invite everyone to visit my 4,905,708 hole golf course!

(P.S. I can't support killing wolves either.)
Apparently you've never been attacked by a pack of killer squirrels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies