Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 01:51 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's the same content as the NYPost article. It even talks about the 3 workers and 2 supervisors who told of the allegations of the slowdown.
How did it change from speculation to fact because of the URL (CNN) ?
Do you notice any difference in the titles of the reports on the same information? Also the first couple of paragraphs in the reports?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 01:51 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,192,463 times
Since when do union bosses have the authority to give "orders" to the rank and file members other
than in a legal strike situation?

Answer.....THEY DON'T

Old 12-30-2010, 02:03 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
My, isn't it amazing how the Left is not interested in what whistle blowers have to say?
The mainstream “left” is very interested in union abuses. It was the Times that ran the recent exposé on the Long Island Railroad pensions, not the Post. After all, most Times readers are white-collar professionals who have little sympathy with blue-collar workers making 6-figures.

However, right now there is no proof of the allegations, just anonymous rumors. It would be irresponsible for a reputable news source to run such a story without further investigation and fact checking.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Since when do union bosses have the authority to give "orders" to the rank and file members other

Answer.....THEY DON'T
Do you know anyone in a union ?
No they don't have any "legal" authority to give orders.
That's why the investigation. A few phone calls and then word of mouth.

How do you think sick calls work when a union wants to get a point across ?

Old 12-30-2010, 02:06 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
So knowing that over 400 workers were layed off, why didn't residents start shoveling their own blocks themselves ? I'm sure some did, but I'm sure more just sat in their apts looking out the window waiting for the plows to come through.
That's what I was thinking too.... I thought that in the 'absence' of government help, people will immediately 'pull themselves up by the bootstraps' and do what needs to be done.

I guess not.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
That's what I was thinking too.... I thought that in the 'absence' of government help, people will immediately 'pull themselves up by the bootstraps' and do what needs to be done.

I guess not.
People are too complacent. As budgets go so do services.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:08 PM

LOL Dan Halloran is now claiming the "whistle blowers" are all from one shop only!
And he admits that many called in sick .... maybe they just couldn't make it to work and
opted for a sick day instead!

Old 12-30-2010, 02:10 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
There was already a thread opened on this FOX lie.
Sanitation workers selfishly slowed down the cleanup - NYPOST.com

Does that say FOX or New York Post? Does the NY Post go to FOX for their news now as well? Why did 10% of the union workers call in sick during a crisis?

Seriously, give it up and get a job.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Do you know anyone in a union ?
No they don't have any "legal" authority to give orders.
That's why the investigation. A few phone calls and then word of mouth.

How do you think sick calls work when a union wants to get a point across ?
I was a union member, and a steward for 35 years of my working life and never once was issued
any "orders" for a work slowdown.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Do you notice any difference in the titles of the reports on the same information? Also the first couple of paragraphs in the reports?
Titles? Oh well, I guess that's all that matters now that you have found a "credible" source that says the same thing as the OPs links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post

Answer.....THEY DON'T
Oh please. You must be joking....or else trying to find something to deflect. They give orders all the time and the members take those orders all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The mainstream “left” is very interested in union abuses. It was the Times that ran the recent exposé on the Long Island Railroad pensions, not the Post. After all, most Times readers are white-collar professionals who have little sympathy with blue-collar workers making 6-figures.

However, right now there is no proof of the allegations, just anonymous rumors. It would be irresponsible for a reputable news source to run such a story without further investigation and fact checking.
You have whistle blowers detailing the orders they were given. Since when have whistle blowers been dismissed so quickly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies