Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nevermind the accusations of a deliberate union slowdown..NYC layed off 400 sanitation workers.
Don't you think 400 less workers would have an effect on how quickly they could clear the roads ?

I just might be a combination of the two. What if many of those 400 were the older employees with experience and what were left were the younger inexperienced workers who then have to deal with a crisis ?

Could be lots of issues came into play here. After seeing pictures though and talking to family in NYC this blizzard was not handled as well as previous storms were. Streets were just not cleared the way they had been in past years.

Maybe the systems are just breaking down due to no money to keep them at the level that everyone expects ?
Very likely.
Probably didn't help that it was Christmas weekend either. They were probably already on a short-crew, and, a lot of the folks who work for Sanitation don't live in the city proper, so, long travel times from LI, Westchester, etc.

Certainly no excuse for any loss of life, but, I think that we are going to start to see a lot more of this in the near future as hard choices have to be made about services, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 10:26 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,054,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
That was deliberate I've read. Unconfirmed
Really Wow!!! Any link?

Old 12-30-2010, 10:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
This is the problem, the pensions are killing NYS. With more and more people leaving the state ( most are the ones collecting those pensions ) perks like snow removal will be less and taxes are going to be higher for those who are forced to stay.
I'm glad that at least one other poster sees the cracks forming in the system.

With revenue shrinking this may be the "new future" of government service.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm not defending their actions. And not all workers in NYC should be unfairly attacked when many worked long hours doing their best against difficult circumstances
I didn't say all workers, did I?

I don't know, if I were a union member, ordered to not plow, slow down, skip streets, raise the blade so more passes would be necessary, I don't know if I'd comply with such an evil order, knowing that ambulances wouldn't be able to get through if needed.

9 hours that mother waited with her dying baby.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:31 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
New York IS disgusting. Even before this lame 'leadership' decision followed by the morons under 'them'. (Governor Paterson comes to mind) Just another example of how dim-witted, thoughtless, 'from-the-hip' decisions can debilitate and otherwise anger a community. Greatest city in the world? Yea, O.K.

Those poor parents of that new born.
I haven't seen any reports of a new born death. We'll see.

However, it's only until some union becomes voiced about lay-offs and budget cuts that people begin to notice that the economy isn't what everyone says it is. 15 million plus people are a bunch of -babies until the real cry-asses make some stupid decision. Wake up people.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:33 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:

However, it's only until some union becomes voiced about lay-offs and budget cuts that people begin to notice that the economy isn't what everyone says it is. 15 million plus people are a bunch of -babies until the real cry-asses make some stupid decision. Wake up people.
Post #12 is the link. Or.....just google it.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:35 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post

Sanitation Department's slow snow cleanup was a budget protest

By SALLY GOLDENBERG, LARRY CELONA and JOSH MARGOLIN
Last Updated: 9:54 AM, December 30, 2010
Posted: 2:34 AM, December 30, 2010
I am looking for credible sources.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:38 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,054,029 times
Quote:

The baby was born in a vestibule in a Brooklyn apartment house. I believe it took over 8 hours to reach the young mother and baby. I'll try to find a link.

http://www.newser.com/story/108532/n...-blizzard.html

Old 12-30-2010, 10:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
The baby was born in a vestibule in Brooklyn apartment house. I believe it took over 8 hours to reach the young mother and baby. I'll try to find a link.

New York Blizzard: Newborn Baby Dies
Was this another baby? I found this:

"Among the calls was a Brooklyn woman who called 911 several times on Monday to report she was in labor. She delivered a baby that was unconscious and later pronounced dead.

Initially, dispatchers assigned the call a low priority because the expectant mother hadn't reported that either she or the baby were in distress, and her delivery was not believed to be imminent. Dispatchers called back several times to check in on the woman, and when a call came in that the newborn was unconscious, the priority was upgraded and EMS workers responded 12 minutes later. The infant was pronounced dead at a hospital. The medical examiner will determine a cause of death."

Mayor Bloomberg: City's Snowstorm Response Unacceptable

Old 12-30-2010, 10:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:

Quote:
The baby was born in a vestibule in a Brooklyn apartment house. I believe it took over 8 hours to reach the young mother and baby. I'll try to find a link.

New York Blizzard: Newborn Baby Dies
Don't waste the time. There are already several links on here about it. It's apparently quite true, sadly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies