Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:25 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
sanrene !!! ... Great Stuff As Usual !!!
So you like the feigned outrage that starts with the title? The Central Valley was never considered the 'breadbasket of the nation' but when it suits the hyperbole, who cares, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 09:41 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
When Californian's voted against the proposition that would have repealed cap and trade, I realized that the majority of the California public does not care about their state's welfare. The repeal of cap and trade would have given Cali and even playing field with other states for manufacturing and a positive business environment. More business = more taxes and jobs = better for Cali.

The green nuts (aka Liberals) really screw everything up. They have no common sense or practical view of the world. They are scared by Al Gore and his man made global warming scam. All the while the democratic elite are lining up to get rich on green energy. This is green energy subsidized by and pushed on the American tax payers.

My point is that these Liberals will f- everything up because they just dont have a clue with regard to the big picture. They just push their agenda down everyones throat. Americans need to stand up stop the stop taking the Liberal BS. They are destroying the economy all across the US, not just Cali.

On a lighter note:
Smug Alert (Season 10, Episode 2) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios
All they have are their "theories" for how things should work in their utopian paradise. When reality bites, their ideas and policy are shown to be utter disasters for business and individuals.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So you like the feigned outrage that starts with the title? The Central Valley was never considered the 'breadbasket of the nation' but when it suits the hyperbole, who cares, eh?
Uh..yes it is, although the midwest likes to claim that title as well.

About the San Joaquin Valley Bioregion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Joaquin_Valley
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106061080

Salad bowl, breadbasket...you get the picture. Wrong once again.

The POINT is the environmentalists/greens have created a disaster with their policies.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Water wars have been going on in this state since the 1840's and will continue until mankind ceases to exist. This State and the western US have literally out grown natures water supply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Water_Wars

Maybe the global warming melt of the polar icecaps will solve this issue.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:12 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
What's best for humans and what's best for the human economy is not the only thing to consider when making decisions
That's right let them eat cardboard!.....or...was....that ....cake? Greens=the new Red Communists.

Last edited by Pretzelogik; 01-01-2011 at 10:27 AM..

Old 01-01-2011, 11:30 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Two Californias
Abandoned farms, Third World living conditions, pervasive public assistance -- welcome to the once-thriving Central Valley.

It's a chilling tale of what has happened to a beautiful and thriving area. The comments following this article support the tale of devastation that is occurring in California. Pay attention folks - don't let this happen in your State.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:09 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
"State and federal officials, driven by the agenda of environmental extremists, have made it extremely difficult for the valley's farms, introducing costly environmental regulations and cutting off critical water supplies to save the Delta smelt, a bait fish."

First of all, I'd like to see proof of these statements.

Secondly, unemployment in Fresno has always been cyclical, but the majority of unemployed there now are non-farm related. In fact, farm-related jobs showed a substantial rise in October, 2010.

For a nice counterpoint which debunks most of the claims made in the original post, try this:

Three Myths Debunked: The Truth About California's Water Shortfall | Water | AlterNet

Old 01-01-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
For a nice counterpoint which debunks most of the claims made in the original post, try this:
Oh, I don't think so.

More excuses trying to absolve the environmentalists/greens from the damage their policies have caused.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:08 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
California's Central Valley, which includes Fresno, a once verdant, lush agricultural treasure trove that fed the nation, is now on its way to nothing more than a government induced dust bowl......for the purpose of protecting the inedible Delta smelt.

Fresno, Zimbabwe - Investors.com

Their economy is collapsing.

Fresno, and the surrounding communities, which used to feed the nation and themselves quite well, have very high UE numbers, no doubt from the policies that have resulted in turning these once thriving agricultural communities into cities of destitution.

Fresno is one of several communities in the running to "stave off hunger", a corporate contest for $1 million in charitable donations to fight hunger. 24% of families in Fresno can't afford regular meals.

I just don't understand how anyone looking at the results of this policy can find anything good in it.

Anyone want to give it a try?

Anyone want to defend the fish over people going hungry?
I do not live in Fresno, so please excuse me for not knowing the details.

For the sake of my response to you, I am going to assume that there are no laws forbidding people to grown their own fruit or plant their own garden. I have seen numerous articles where urban farming has started becoming very popular in areas throughout the country. Again, I do not know the laws in California, but I strongly suspect that there are no laws against this kind of activity.

People need to get away from depending on other people to supply their food. They need to become self-sufficient and take are of themselves as much as they can and as much as the law will allow.

If someone has the space for a garden or a fruit tree, then they have no right to complain. With regards to water. Last I checked it still rains in California, so buying rain barrels and saving rain water to grow those gardens is infinitely doable.

This country has become a bunch of dependent babies who cannot take care of themselves.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-01-2011, 03:19 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Wait, 8% of the agricultural production in the US "Feeds the Nation"?

So this water problem has nothing to do with the population draining water supplies from exploding populations in Bakersfield, Fresno, Visalia, Tracy and Modesto since the 1980's?

"California State Water Project Overview". California Department of Water Resources. 2009-04-15. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
8% is a significant amount. Fresno County has the highest agricultural production in the country. Add in the adjacent counties of Tulare, Kern, Madera, Merced and Stanislaus and it becomes very significant.

And you simply can't have a discussion about cities using water until you acknowledge how much water is sent to Southern California, and their refusal to build desalination facilities to help take the load off of the water problems in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies