Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 06:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Haha.

Which one of those regulations caused the freezing/ record snow in the UK?
That's an off-the-wall forecast which I think extreme greens/environmentalists like to use.

[I'm not an environmentalist]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 06:24 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Some of you are really not scientists, not even close. If there's more snow, it could be because it's warmer. Did you ever think of that possibility? Snow piles up a lot more in 30 degree weather than it does in 10 degree weather. The South Pole gets less than an inch of snow a year but there's been enough cold years for it to pile up to 9,000 feet.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,075 times
Quote:
Haha.

Which one of those regulations caused the freezing/ record snow in the UK?
I think he's referring to the governmental mandate that required children all over the world to wish for a white "holiday."

Old 12-30-2010, 06:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I think he's referring to the governmental mandate that required children all over the world to wish for a white "holiday."
That's the one.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:47 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Yes, but the prediction was the poor little kiddies would never see snow again...meanwhile, the reality is the UK has experienced the some of the worst weather in decades.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, but the prediction was the poor little kiddies would never see snow again...meanwhile, the reality is the UK has experienced the some of the worst weather in decades.
Yep. One of MANY "scientifically based" global warming predictions that NEVER materialized. Either the science was WRONG or we are seeing...MIRACLES!!! Which is it, all you GW Scientists???

Old 12-30-2010, 08:15 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Global government might have some value since it would get us thinking we are all in the same boat, which we are.
Global government would be the most destructive movement in the history of mankind.

Government is a necessary evil and should be as small as possible. Big government is an unnecessary evil and destroys freedom. Global government would be evil beyond comprehension.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Global government would be the most destructive movement in the history of mankind.

Government is a necessary evil and should be as small as possible. Big government is an unnecessary evil and destroys freedom. Global government would be evil beyond comprehension.
Great post. Worth repeating!

Old 12-30-2010, 08:40 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
When will these Global Warming/Climate Change Know-It-Alls just admit they don't know it all? (And quit trying to change our way of life and redistribute our wealth based on their weak, inconclusive, disputed, phony science studies. And give me back my regular lightbulbs! I promise to still remember to turn out the lights when I leave a room and not leave the water running when I brush my teeth. )

FoxNews.com - Eight Botched Environmental Forecasts
But, but, but....they're right THIS time

Let's see, in my lifetime I can recall...
*The Great Ice Age scare...when pollution in the air was going to block all the sunlight and cause massive global cooling.
*The Acid Rain scare where all fish in freshwater lakes were going to die to to acidification
*The Ozone Layer Scare. This on resulted in a ban on R12 (Freon). The PC environmentally correst refrigerants are less efficient, require more power and higher pressures to operate...in turn leading to more energy usage.
*The Great Global Warming scare. This finally seems to have died out as we have passed a warm spell. Now it's followed by...wait for it.
*The Climate Change scare. Well, when you can't predect that "climate" will get warmer, colder or stay the same...it's a pretty safe bet it will CHANGE. Funny, but when I was young we called it "weather".

Old 12-30-2010, 08:52 PM

421 posts, read 448,643 times
Quote:
When will these Global Warming/Climate Change Know-It-Alls just admit they don't know it all? (And quit trying to change our way of life and redistribute our wealth based on their weak, inconclusive, disputed, phony science studies. And give me back my regular lightbulbs! I promise to still remember to turn out the lights when I leave a room and not leave the water running when I brush my teeth. )

FoxNews.com - Eight Botched Environmental Forecasts
This conversation is going to be depressing isn't it?

So, science is a method whereby hypothesis are combined with mechanisms to form theories. These are then judged upon their explanatory power of the observable evidence. This doesn't means that a 'correct' answer is come to, but it has proven a very successful way to process data. No doubt you will agree, its worked out very well.

Now, the peer review system vets out 'bad science' fairly well, and peer reviewed articles will give you an idea of the balance of research available. When the vast majority of different peer reviewed articles provide evidence for a theory, it becomes the most probable theory. Global warming, as caused by people. is a theory which has high explanatory power, is supported by countless peer reviewed articles and is thus the best theory currently available.

Now, this doesn't mean that all scientists are right, or that any given scientist or prediction or press release are correct. But it is a method that has functioned very well in various fields. I know of no better way to evaluate observable evidence and thus rationally, we have no choice but to consider seriously the problem of global warming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies