Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 10:54 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,212,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah, when George did it, I didn't hear any of you complain.
You son would have VOLUNTEERED to go to war, no sorrow for him or you.
Choices, you know, choices.

1/3 of his presidency on holiday after getting us into 2 wars - you're right, there is no comparison.
Which of those two wars has Obama got us out of? Oh yeah, he is planning to bring all the troops out next summer. He hasn't managed that in Iraq, yet has he? Promises are so easy to throw out when they might gain a few votes and so hard to fulfill when the time comes.

My foster daughter has been in the Middle East for three complete hitches as of this week. Two in Kuwait after being promised she wouldn't have to go back if she took two successive hitches. That was under Bush but when Obama came in she was sent to Afghanistan. That was Obama's administration. Of course, that promise was made under Bush so Obama could plead, not guilty. She is 47 and has been in the National Guard about 25 years.

Great New Year coming, I hope since her group was to leave either yesterday or today. Her 11 year old son will be very glad to see her.

You know there is no comparison in Bush and Obama, as far as I am concerned, but I see it the opposite of the way you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 11:07 PM

545 posts, read 399,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah, when George did it, I didn't hear any of you complain.
You son would have VOLUNTEERED to go to war, no sorrow for him or you.
Choices, you know, choices.

1/3 of his presidency on holiday after getting us into 2 wars - you're right, there is no comparison.

Choices?.....do you say the same for those who didn't go to far with their education and stuck with a minimum wage job, still had kids and are now forced to take care of both themselves and a child?....or do you whine about a "livable wage"? ........Choices?

No sorrow because someone showed courage and character greater then the average person.....but I bet you got all the sorrow for the "poor".

"1/3 of his presidency on holiday after getting us into 2 wars"

you seem to be mad that Bush got us into 2 wars......

...but couldn't care less for those who are dying from it......

"You son would have VOLUNTEERED to go to war, no sorrow for him or you"

liberals....

God, help us if they become the majority.

Last edited by EricGold; 01-01-2011 at 12:00 AM..

Old 01-01-2011, 07:35 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,017,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Texture_Guy View Post
What are you trying to prove by going back to 1931. Oh and if obama can't keep all his promises, thats okay with me. He is doing the best he can do. there are more important things to worry about right now then having to raise taxes, I dont make much but i am all for higher taxes.

This again meaning most american people are stupid. Taxes are what run the country, they are what pay teachers and cops and fireman. road work as well. last i checked that stuff also cost money. And in what bill does it say he has to raise taxes on people making less then 250k.

I try not to keep tabs on this stuff because it is really out of my control what people do once they are in office and who they have to battle against.
I think what Roy is saying is that democrats were in control on both houses of congress for about 50 years.

During those years, social programs came into existence.

The Dept of education for instance. Are we educating our children any better, or is it a bloated bureaucracy?

How much energy does the department of energy produce?

The point is that government is wasteful and is only interested in gaining and holding power.

As far as taxes, you are free to pay more. You won't of course, but it's a nice sentiment.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:50 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,808,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Presidents and their families need vacations just like anyone else and with the amount of responsibility involved certainly deserve one. But, with that said, I do think this family is overdoing it. In these times, with so many people making sacrifices, it would behoove the Obama Family to not flaunt such extravagant trips. It just doesn't sit well. An attempt to cut costs would certainly help his image; although at this point, it may be useless - just like his lame attempts recently to find Christianity. The American People are not stupid. We've pretty much had it with this administration.
Some of the people who aren't stupid - also known as American people - have checked him out and his religion isn't in question. Unless I'm not an American person.. which I am - your theory is seriously flawed. He's been going to church for a long time. Is he a "real" Christian, or is it a politcal act? Do politicians ever do things to appeal to more people...... well, yeah, duh.

Obama's Religion Still at Issue for Many Americans: A Fifth Say He's Muslim

He's a person with power. I wouldn't expect Donald Trump to stay at the Ramada. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this president, and all prior ones, and all future ones, will not be staying at the Ramada.

Although the Ramada is pretty cool, when I think "Ramada" I don't think, "Preisdential vacation." Dude's got an image to protect....and project

A lot of people are losing their homes and jobs. By this logic, Obama should quit his job and become homeless and then, he'd be a good example. Or something.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:21 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,647,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Enjoying the fruits of your labor is one thing. Do it on your own dime.

These people are out of control with vacationing.

Michelle seems like she's on a permanent vacation.

Telling us what to eat while she gains pound after pound.

Barry telling us that we can't drive SUV's, or keep our thermostats at a comfortable level.

What is their carbon footprint?

The hypocrisy is astounding.
Well lets just all be happy that big b#tt is finally "proud of her country".
What else can we do to make her proud?
Maybe we should all quit eating, keep our air conditoners off and work 3 jobs so she can keep that warm and fuzzy feeling.
I am so happy Michelle likes us now.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,239,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
Choices?.....do you say the same for those who didn't go to far with their education and stuck with a minimum wage job, still had kids and are now forced to take care of both themselves and a child?....or do you whine about a "livable wage"? ........Choices?

No sorrow because someone showed courage and character greater then the average person.....but I bet you got all the sorrow for the "poor".

"1/3 of his presidency on holiday after getting us into 2 wars"

you seem to be mad that Bush got us into 2 wars......

...but couldn't care less for those who are dying from it......

"You son would have VOLUNTEERED to go to war, no sorrow for him or you"

liberals....

God, help us if they become the majority.
It's all about choices.
Your post makes no sense.

If this is only your third post, how do you know if/what my political beliefs are?

Old 01-01-2011, 08:36 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,647,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh please, don't start that again. Last time you put up the actual passage, it proved my point, not yours. A total humiliation, btw.

Of course the president will have SS protection wherever he goes, but at Camp David, where Bush spent EVERY single Xmas, the detail would be less than the security and staff/personnel needed to go traipsing to Hawaii on a luxury vacation, taking the SS personnel and staff AWAY from their families on Xmas AND New Years.

What an arrogant, selfish little man he is.
They are at his mercy and he decided not to show any.
Little Barry wanted to go "home" for Christmas, the h#ll with everybody else.
Another thing and I know this is bad but I just can't help but wonder how many cookies Michelle shoved into her mouth while she celebrated "her" Christmas.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:20 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
He wasn't at his ranch, he was at Camp David for every Xmas. Now CD is just a hop, skip and a jump from the WH, so those on security detail @ CD were basically "home". And knowing Bush and his thoughtfulness, I'm sure the SS took staggered hours so they COULD be home with their families.

Obama the selfish, arrogant little man will have none of that. He couldn't care less if he drags the SS and a plethora of other staff and personnel to Hawaii, away from their families.
Camp David is 60 miles from DC, and could be 100+ miles from any one SS staffer's home, too far any of them to be home much on Christmas Day if working. You don't know that these people were "dragged" away. As I said previously, maybe the SS asked for volunteers first. I know a lot of people who would love to go to HI for Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
I see it this way. The country is in internal turmoil regarding unemployment, jobs, the dispicable security screenings imposed on internal air travelers, national debt, deficits out the ying yang, etc.
You can always come up with a reason why he shouldn't go on a vacation. The list is endless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I think what Roy is saying is that democrats were in control on both houses of congress for about 50 years.

During those years, social programs came into existence.

The Dept of education for instance. Are we educating our children any better, or is it a bloated bureaucracy?

How much energy does the department of energy produce?

The point is that government is wasteful and is only interested in gaining and holding power.

As far as taxes, you are free to pay more. You won't of course, but it's a nice sentiment.
This post is entirely off-topic. It has nothing to do with Obama's vacation.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:31 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,881,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post
While the Bush family tradition was to spend a quiet Christmas Day at Camp David, it was often their tradition to leave the following day for an expensive resort island in Florida, where they rent numerous rooms, cottages and private homes with family, friends, and yes -Secret Service and essential staff. They've been going on the lavish family trips ever since 41 was in office.

Just google "Bush family and Boca Grande" for years of articles about the Bush Christmas vacations. In fact, they're there right now playing golf in the chilly weather and they've got John Boehner with them.
Hogwash.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:32 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,881,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Camp David is 60 miles from DC, and could be 100+ miles from any one SS staffer's home, too far any of them to be home much on Christmas Day if working. You don't know that these people were "dragged" away. As I said previously, maybe the SS asked for volunteers first. I know a lot of people who would love to go to HI for Christmas.

Oh yeah, without their families, I'm sure they were just clamoring to go.

One can assume they wished to be around their families, just like more people do over the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies