Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:04 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
They're not, but I've never heard of a liberal or Democratic group refusing to attend a conference because gays are allowed to participate.

There's a growing number of gays in America who identify as conservatives and vote for Republicans. Conservative and Republican groups would be foolish to exclude them from participating.
Well then consider them foolish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
But that's not the case, either. It's not "refusing to associate with gays." It's refusing to participate in something that furthers that lifestyle, since it goes against part of what conservatives believe.

Why does this issue have to be so divisive?

And why does there have to be so many threads about it, when both sides are just banging their heads against the wall?

we just do not think a gay relationship is the same (or equal to) a heterosexual one. Nobody wants to discriminate against anyone, it's not about taking rights away (we all have the same rights to marry someone of the opposite sex), it's not about hating gay people or anything like that. Nobody really has any problem with people who are gay, we just do not agree with being gay. Doesn't mean we treat the people any differently than we would a straight person, nor does it mean we think less of them as a human being.

Honestly, until y'all can get the facts straight, I see no point in contributing to these discussions anymore. It's extremely disheartening when everyone just puts words in each others' mouths. This thread is yet another example of this. These groups are withdrawing from the CPAC b/c another group has been accepted that they do not agree with. It's really not a difficult concept to understand, and it has nothing to do with hating gays, as you all would have us believe.

Of course you will always get your random bigot in any group, but that does not mean everyone is. That's like saying all black people are thugs b/c they have a higher prison population, or that all Christians have the capacity to bomb abortion facilities. It's ridiculous.
How can you say that

Quote:
Conservatives do not have a problem with gay people
Then say that

Quote:
It's not "refusing to associate with gays." It's refusing to participate in something that furthers that lifestyle, since it goes against part of what conservatives believe.
This is Conservative hypocrisy at its absolute finest.

If you didn't have a problem with the lifestyle then you wouldn't give s damn what Gay, Lesbian, Transgendered, or Bi-Sexual people do in their PRIVATE LIVES.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I remember when Al Gore was nominated for president in 2000. The Boy Scouts of America came out on stage one night at the convention to hold the flag during the playing on the National Anthem.

About half the democratic delegates stood up and turned around. Refused to acknowledge the Scouts were there. Love and tolerance from the left.
No, just a protest against bigotry from the right.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
We heard that after watergate. We heard it in 1993. We heard that in 2010. And several other times.

How many times are libs going to say the republican party is going to die before they realize they sound like morons.

My prediction: Next time democrats do well in a national election every dopey liberal will come out and say the republican party is dead. Then the next election the republicans will be swept back in office.

Its predictable as the sun rising.
The Republican Party is living proof that Conservative principles based in fear, hate, ignorance, and bigotry while pandering to the rich and corporate interests will always have a place in American politics.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:06 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
I remember when Al Gore was nominated for president in 2000. The Boy Scouts of America came out on stage one night at the convention to hold the flag during the playing on the National Anthem.

About half the democratic delegates stood up and turned around. Refused to acknowledge the Scouts were there. Love and tolerance from the left.

P.S. The Westboro Baptist Church is run by democrats. Think they would attend a democratic conference that had gay groups there?
I guess you're trying to make a counter-argument, but I don't see how your comments have anything to do with the topic being discussed here.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 01-03-2011 at 05:22 PM..

Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
GOProud......what does that stand for ?
Quote:
GOProud represents gay conservatives and their allies. GOProud is committed to a traditional conservative agenda that emphasizes limited government, individual liberty, free markets and a confident foreign policy. GOProud promotes our traditional conservative agenda by influencing politics and policy at the federal level.
http://www.goproud.org/

Thanks to the social conservatives who refuse to attend CPAC, and some of the comments made in this discussion, I decided to join GOProud last night. I may not support a lot of Republican philosophies, but I do support the courage and dignity that GOProud has demonstrated during this little brouhaha.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:15 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Biggest conservative names bidding goodbye to CPAC

I think the gay issue will continue to cause problems for conservatives. They're continuing to argue about it amongst themselves, causing divisions in their movement, and it's turning off moderates from joining their cause.
Being mostly conservative myself, I don't see the big deal with anyone who is gay. (If you like the same sex, so what.)

Really, "Liberty and Justice for ALL" except gay? (ALL means gay too!)

Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The majority of votes in both the House and Senates for the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell were from Democrats. The majority of "nay" votes were from Republicans.

No the Democrats are not unified in there acceptance of homosexuality but they are far more accepting that the majority of Republicans.
That's good since Democrats enacted DADT, at least they fixed their mistake.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:22 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
No, just a protest against bigotry from the right.
So now Boy Scouts are Republicans?

Old 01-03-2011, 05:23 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
We heard that after watergate. We heard it in 1993. We heard that in 2010. And several other times.

How many times are libs going to say the republican party is going to die before they realize they sound like morons.

My prediction: Next time democrats do well in a national election every dopey liberal will come out and say the republican party is dead. Then the next election the republicans will be swept back in office.

Its predictable as the sun rising.

I didn't say that the GOP would die, I said they would be in trouble, and they will be. The GOP is not plentiful enough to win national elections on their lonesome, they need independent votes. You don't win independent votes by saying "you aren't pure enough, go somewhere else".

You especially don't win vote with independents when you are a rabidly anti-gay group, yet the worse and most hysterically anti-gay amongst you keep on getting caught having gay sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies