Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you knew your neighbor grew, what would you do?
Nothing, none of my business 228 69.72%
Only if it was for personal use, and they were responsible 31 9.48%
Only if it was for personal medical use, and they were responsible 7 2.14%
Nothing, but only if I knew them and they were responsible 17 5.20%
Call the cops, arrest the criminals, regardless of who they are 44 13.46%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:13 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,274,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
How is it physically impossible to OD on THC? I'm not countering what you're saying, just want to understand it better.
The active drug in marijuana doesn't speed up or slow down the heart. It doesn't effect the normal function of the body in anyway. It changes the way the brain is working, but not the areas that effect the vital workings of the body.

No one has ever died from smoking to much marijuana, ever.

To be fair, I suppose you could take more THC at one setting than the body is used to, but the only effect you are going to get is to pass out. Unlike alcohol poisoning, there are no recorded fatal marijuana events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If my neighbor was growing pot (intentionally) for any reason other than his own comfort while dying from a terminal disease, I'd turn his/her backside into the authorities. It is illegal in my state, no exceptions. You don't have to agree and if you are a pothead don't be my neighbor! You won't like it.
Do you speed? Thats against the law also.

If your neighbor was letting his child drive a lawnmower to make extra money at the neighbors house, would you report them? Technically thats illegal.

Most folks wouldn't turn people in for those things, and break the law themselves, but what is the hang up with marijuana specifically. People knowingly turn their back on law breakers everyday, and I mean everyone, and everyday. Yet, you're drawing your line in the sand here, why?

Old 01-04-2011, 03:27 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,265,590 times
Quote:
If my neighbor was growing pot (intentionally) for any reason other than his own comfort while dying from a terminal disease, I'd turn his/her backside into the authorities. It is illegal in my state, no exceptions. You don't have to agree and if you are a pothead don't be my neighbor! You won't like it.
Do you report every speeder on the highway? If someone runs a red light, you report it every time you see it, right, and rolling through a stop sign? After all, those things are illegal in your state, no exceptions.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:36 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,389,796 times
The small percentage who voted they would rat their pot growing nieghbor out to police are definitely the kind of folks you wouldn't want next door no matter who you are....

You know the type..nosy, busybodies, just can't seem to mind their own business. Has anyone ever had a that type for a neighbor, the kind when you were outside, you always seemed to feel eyes on you? Maybe you even would turn quickly and catch a glimpse of them watching you...

How pathetic and unfulfilling their own lives must be that they feel it's necessary to intrude upon the personal space of others..

Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
The small percentage who voted they would rat their pot growing nieghbor out to police are definitely the kind of folks you wouldn't want next door no matter who you are....

You know the type..nosy, busybodies, just can't seem to mind their own business. Has anyone ever had a that type for a neighbor, the kind when you were outside, you always seemed to feel eyes on you? Maybe you even would turn quickly and catch a glimpse of them watching you...

How pathetic and unfulfilling their own lives must be that they feel it's necessary to intrude upon the personal space of others..
I'm not sure of that.

If they can offer no good explanation on why they would report this crime, and not others, then yes, I'd say they are "nosy busybodies".

But I'm waiting for a rational response from folks on why they think this drug is so evil, when all of the studies done say otherwise.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:45 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,281,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Do you report every speeder on the highway? If someone runs a red light, you report it every time you see it, right, and rolling through a stop sign? After all, those things are illegal in your state, no exceptions.
Reporting speeders is way different from feeling unsafe because your neighbor is growing an illegal drug next door.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Reporting speeders is way different from feeling unsafe because your neighbor is growing an illegal drug next door.
So for you speeding isn't as dangerous as an illegal plant. Yet more people die per year in speeding accidents than do in all drug related violence combined.

That doesn't seem rational to me.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:48 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,265,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Correct, speeders are a far bigger danger to persons and property.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,753,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So for you speeding isn't as dangerous as an illegal plant. Yet more people die per year in speeding accidents than do in all drug related violence combined.

That doesn't seem rational to me.
If someone is speeding to an extent that it is obvious and they are causing problem or have the potential to do great harm I do dial 911 and report them along with a description, location, and if I am able, license plate #.

Pot growing is a stationary object and much easier to prove than a moving traffic violation.

Get real and try sticking to the topic rather than deflecting with irrelevant comparisons of equivication.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
If someone is speeding to an extent that it is obvious and they are causing problem or have the potential to do great harm I do dial 911 and report them along with a description, location, and if I am able, license plate #.

Pot growing is a stationary object and much easier to prove than a moving traffic violation.

Get real and try sticking to the topic rather than deflecting with irrelevant comparisons of equivication.
Ok, the key word is "speeding to an extent" "potential for great harm"

But if your neighbor was growing to plants in their yard, or a vacant bedroom that wasn't for sale, for personal use, that has the potential for great harm?

How so?

Driving 5 miles over causes the reaction time to be lowered considerably. If someone is doing 40 in a 35 they are at least 10 times more likely not to be able to stop in time if a child ran out in front of them.

It is a relevant comparison, because you didn't specify what type of crime you would report, just that you would report a crime because it is a crime, regardless of its potential for damage. Now you're going for the potential for damage, but I fail to see how two plants is going to have more potential for damage than someone doing 5 over down your street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies