Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you knew your neighbor grew, what would you do?
Nothing, none of my business 228 69.72%
Only if it was for personal use, and they were responsible 31 9.48%
Only if it was for personal medical use, and they were responsible 7 2.14%
Nothing, but only if I knew them and they were responsible 17 5.20%
Call the cops, arrest the criminals, regardless of who they are 44 13.46%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,286,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
The small percentage who voted they would rat their pot growing nieghbor out to police are definitely the kind of folks you wouldn't want next door no matter who you are....

You know the type..nosy, busybodies, just can't seem to mind their own business. Has anyone ever had a that type for a neighbor, the kind when you were outside, you always seemed to feel eyes on you? Maybe you even would turn quickly and catch a glimpse of them watching you...

How pathetic and unfulfilling their own lives must be that they feel it's necessary to intrude upon the personal space of others..
I say it would depend on the situation I don't even know my neighbors and don't care to so if i was to find out they were growing it would probably be because of prowlers or high traffic which would be a negitive, if they just kept it to themself I wouldn't even know they grow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Correct, speeders are a far bigger danger to persons and property.
Not really it depends on the situation

Old 01-04-2011, 03:57 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,266,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Ok, the key word is "speeding to an extent" "potential for great harm"
Interesting how she makes speeding and other crimes subjective, according to what she deems "potential for great harm" or "to an extent" but with pot, it is an absolute.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:58 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,266,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
The poll, and thread, aren't situational.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:01 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,284,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
But someone growing a couple of plants for self use isn't dependent on the situation?

I agree, I wouldn't want someone who had people coming over all night and day selling pot.

For one, most people don't sale where they grow. In fact, most people that grow do one large sale to "distributors" who then sale it to other folks. Usually by the time your local 19 year old drug dealer gets it, often its been through about 5 hands.

For another, most folks that say they would report aren't giving a specific amount or reason, just that "its illegal, and I report illegal activity".

Old 01-04-2011, 04:03 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,922,758 times
Quote:
Interesting how she makes speeding and other crimes subjective, according to what she deems "potential for great harm" or "to an extent" but with pot, it is an absolute.

Only Siths deal in absolutes. I shall do what I must. Sorry, I couldn't pass that up!

24,869 posts, read 24,284,315 times
Quote:
I'm trying to find out why she things its potential for great harm is so awful, when statistically speeding even 5 miles over has proven to be a greater danger to life and property than a guy/gal growing a couple of plants for personal use.

Quote:
So for you speeding isn't as dangerous as an illegal plant. Yet more people die per year in speeding accidents than do in all drug related violence combined.

That doesn't seem rational to me.
Depends on the situation, it's not the plant but the low life scum it can draw in it's common sense really when i was young I grew a plant in my back yard I had prowlers and when the plant was mature someone took it and also broke in my house at the same time.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,766,727 times
Quote:
Ok, the key word is "speeding to an extent" "potential for great harm"

Correct, I do not have a radar gun in my vehicle and I usually do not necessarily drive at the top of the "limit"; therefore, it would have to be obvious. Yes, the behavior would have to be such that they were causing risk to other driver to warrant a 911 call. You see, I actually read the statutes for my state. To dial 911 it actually has to be an emergency, not simply a speeder.

But if your neighbor was growing to plants in their yard, or a vacant bedroom that wasn't for sale, for personal use, that has the potential for great harm?

It is a felony in my state to intentionally grow marijuana. How do I know what intent or use it is for? The law makes no differentiation. I'll leave that up to law enforcement. It is unlikely I would be inside a house to see anyone growing pot indoors. I don't go into homes of people I don't know outside of the realm of business, or homes have a reason not to trust as law abiding.

How so?

Driving 5 miles over causes the reaction time to be lowered considerably. If someone is doing 40 in a 35 they are at least 10 times more likely not to be able to stop in time if a child ran out in front of them.

It is a relevant comparison, because you didn't specify what type of crime you would report, just that you would report a crime because it is a crime, regardless of its potential for damage. Now you're going for the potential for damage, but I fail to see how two plants is going to have more potential for damage than someone doing 5 over down your street.

Actually I was very specific as to the crime, in both posts. Reading comprehension problems?
Comments above in red.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:05 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,787,749 times
Quote:

If your neighbor was growing marijuana, what would you do?
I most likely wouldn't know...or care.
My neighbor right now is probably a drug dealer,or he has a LOT of friends dropping by all hours of the day and night...

Quote:
I'm sure it'd depend on the amount, the reason, their demeanor, various other factors, but what would you do?
Not my concern,just as it is not his concern what I do.

My knowledge is based upon something i was told early on...

Don't be a sticky beak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies