Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: If you knew your neighbor grew, what would you do?
Nothing, none of my business 228 69.72%
Only if it was for personal use, and they were responsible 31 9.48%
Only if it was for personal medical use, and they were responsible 7 2.14%
Nothing, but only if I knew them and they were responsible 17 5.20%
Call the cops, arrest the criminals, regardless of who they are 44 13.46%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2011, 02:46 PM
 
26,483 posts, read 36,317,502 times
Reputation: 29518

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Your grow tent blows down, or your neighbor peaks over, tree falls on your privacy fence, etc.

Lots of ways people can get into your business when you don't want them to.
Don't you people have closets/basements in Tennessee?

I wouldn't grow outside the house in a place that had strict laws...you never know what the neighbors are going to do. If it's indoors, and all they have is a suspicion, that's not enough for a judge to issue a warrant and do a search. But if they can peek over your fence and see evidence...so can the cops.

I think it's always best to just take for granted that every neighborhood is going to have at least one noisy person and to prepare accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2011, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,869 posts, read 24,287,993 times
Reputation: 8672
Lots of stuff to respond to here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What is it that you want to help change, the opinions that people have and the likelihood they'll call the law on a neighbor who's growing, or the laws themselves?

Dicriminalization is the only real answer, I think. As I've stated, it works in Alaska.

The cops cannot arrest you and a judge cannot issue a warrant based on a neighbor's allegation. There has to be something more to it.
I want to change the opinion that "pot heads are evil". And if I call the cops and tell them I believe my neighbor is doing something illegal, the sheriffs department can show up and ask to see the house. If you refuse, which is your right, then they'll just go and get a warrant.

I agree, I like decriminalization, but most of the other states are there yet, its part of what I'm fighting for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Weed cannot be used as a cause in any accident because the THC test does not prove your high so it isn't recorded as so also it's the same in death weed can not be the direct reason because of the testing procedure that doesn't mean no one has died because of smoking weed but it can't be recorded as so.
Weed can be detected through blood and urinalysis. Immediate effects can often be found using the traditional sobriety tests used for alcohol. You do know that most people don't take breathalyzers right?

Most folks don't suggest that driving on any drug is a good idea. I myself don't like people driving high. But we've already got laws on the books for driving under the influence, and they are already used in marijuana cases. If you fail a sobriety test, guess what, you're going to have a DUI.


Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
"Marijuana has 30 of the same harmful chemicals as ciggaretts" Calfiornia studies shows that marijuana causes cancer after researching 30 different studies.

Studies Show Harmful Impacts of Smoking Marijuana (http://www.senaterepublicans.ct.gov/press/boucher/2009/062309.html - broken link)

Your source is Marijuana Magazine? Thats funny.....
Cigarettes have over 200 chemicals that are bad for you. Most of the chemicals you're talking about are contained in your food as well.

Fact: Moderate smoking of marijuana appears to pose minimal danger to the lungs. Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains a number of irritants and carcinogens. But marijuana users typically smoke much less often than tobacco smokers, and over time, inhale much less smoke. As a result, the risk of serious lung damage should be lower in marijuana smokers. There have been no reports of lung cancer related solely to marijuana, and in a large study presented to the American Thoracic Society in 2006, even heavy users of smoked marijuana were found not to have any increased risk of lung cancer. Unlike heavy tobacco smokers, heavy marijuana smokers exhibit no obstruction of the lung's small airway. That indicates that people will not develop emphysema from smoking marijuana.

Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse. “Legalization: Panacea or Pandora’s Box.” New York. (1995): 36.
Turner, Carlton E. The Marijuana Controversy. Rockville: American Council for Drug Education, 1981.
Nahas, Gabriel G. and Nicholas A. Pace. Letter. “Marijuana as Chemotherapy Aid Poses Hazards.” New York Times 4 December 1993: A20.
Inaba, Darryl S. and William E. Cohen. Uppers, Downers, All-Arounders: Physical and Mental Effects of Psychoactive Drugs. 2nd ed. Ashland: CNS Productions, 1995. 174.

Marijuana: An Unbiased Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
Well, if pot was legalized how would you know if someone was driving impaired?
Again, most DUI's are given with sobriety tests, not breathalyzers. Most law enforcement officers understand that this shows impairment no matter what drug you are on.

Field Sobriety Testing Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Anyway, this poll is a bit silly because the last choice:

"Call the cops, arrest the criminals, regardless of who they are"

isn't exactly a viable one. The cops cannot arrest someone because their neighbor calls and accuses them of growing weed or any other crime.

If your neighbor is growing and you know about it, it's either because they are being irresponsible about it and providing too many signs, or because you have a good enough social relationship with them for them to trust you with that information. If the latter is the case...then you're a snitch. If the former is the case...well, sometimes people need to use what tools they have in order to relieve their neighborhoods of unsafe and unsavory activity.


If you're going to use that drug or any other, it's fine with me, but own up and be responsible about it. Don't get behind the wheel and don't hide behind alcohol fatality stats as an excuse to do so. Stay home, relax, and enjoy.
The cops can question on suspicion. Things happen, fires, pet break ins, natural disasters, etc that would be neither irresponsible or up to you if someone found out your business.

And again, most of us have never said that driving while high is a good idea.

Hope this clears up a little bit.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-03-2011 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,869 posts, read 24,287,993 times
Reputation: 8672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Don't you people have closets/basements in Tennessee?

I wouldn't grow outside the house in a place that had strict laws...you never know what the neighbors are going to do. If it's indoors, and all they have is a suspicion, that's not enough for a judge to issue a warrant and do a search. But if they can peek over your fence and see evidence...so can the cops.

I think it's always best to just take for granted that every neighborhood is going to have at least one noisy person and to prepare accordingly.
If you read my position, I'm not in Tennessee, despite the name.

And no, most folks don't have basements in Tennessee, and definitely not in Florida.

But your point that "you're being irresponsible" or "want to be found" is debunked. Anyone who has had a break in, or various other personal disasters knows that your privacy can very easily be disturbed, no matter how well you mind your own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 03:32 PM
 
26,483 posts, read 36,317,502 times
Reputation: 29518
Quote:
I want to change the opinion that "pot heads are evil". And if I call the cops and tell them I believe my neighbor is doing something illegal, the sheriffs department can show up and ask to see the house. If you refuse, which is your right, then they'll just go and get a warrant.
Can they reallY? Is that something that varies by state? I called on some white dealers becuse I was sick of their crap and nothing like that happened. The cop knocked on their door and told them that a neighbor had called saying they were dealing meth. Didn't take them long to figure out who the neighbor was, either.

Anyway I've never heard of a warrant being issued on the basis of a neighbor's suspicion but I guess depending on local law it could happen. Doesn't seem Constitutional though.

I agree, I like decriminalization, but most of the other states are there yet, its part of what I'm fighting for.



Quote:
Weed can be detected through blood and urinalysis. Immediate effects can often be found using the traditional sobriety tests used for alcohol. You do know that most people don't take breathalyzers right?
Nope, don't know that at all, but I don't know many people who've been stopped. My point wasn't that people were driving around high anyway, just that there was discussion on the internet about it. Seems to me though that most people smoke in their own homes and aren't going to want to get up and drive around much.



[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-03-2011 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 3,579,458 times
Reputation: 1080
buy him a case of Twinkies for his birthday.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 03:39 PM
 
Location: California
11,466 posts, read 19,289,425 times
Reputation: 12712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Lots of stuff to respond to here.

Weed can be detected through blood and urinalysis. Immediate effects can often be found using the traditional sobriety tests used for alcohol. You do know that most people don't take breathalyzers right?.
THC can be detected but that doesn't mean your high you do know that right? A blood or urine test along with a sobriety test could land you in jail but in court it will be the officers opinion and the presents of THC that would get you sentenced and the officers testimony is just an educated opinion and is subjective. A breathalyzer has nothing to do with checking for weed you do know that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 03:42 PM
 
6,484 posts, read 6,591,056 times
Reputation: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
All laws against possession of marijuana are unconstitutional.

Don't you believe in Rule of Law?
Last time I checked, it was an illegal substance. Until I heard it was legalized I'd call the cops on them and report them. They are criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,869 posts, read 24,287,993 times
Reputation: 8672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Last time I checked, it was an illegal substance. Until I heard it was legalized I'd call the cops on them and report them. They are criminals.
Show me the article that says that the government can make a plant illegal.

They used the same broad "interpretive" approach that most conservatives rail against to make it illegal.

This makes those who support legalization conservatives, and those who are for keeping it illegal liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 03:47 PM
 
26,483 posts, read 36,317,502 times
Reputation: 29518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If you read my position, I'm not in Tennessee, despite the name.

And no, most folks don't have basements in Tennessee, and definitely not in Florida.

But your point that "you're being irresponsible" or "want to be found" is debunked. Anyone who has had a break in, or various other personal disasters knows that your privacy can very easily be disturbed, no matter how well you mind your own business.
I have no clue then where you live. Florida?

My post wasn't directed at those who have had break ins, etc (lock the closet or basement door at all times, though, and big walk in closets are great). I've been around quite a few neighbors who seemed to almost flaunt it, trying to be "cool" or some such. That's more of what I meant. I've never known anyone who got arrested for weed because of a break in or a fire (though it's probably happened a time or two), but I do know a few who got arrested because of their own lack of caution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 03:58 PM
 
6,484 posts, read 6,591,056 times
Reputation: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Cocaine and Heroine are processed goods. The government can legislate processed goods under the interstate commerce clause.

Marijuana I can grow in my yard. And yes, if someone wants to grow a poppy plant in their yard, its none of my business.
You think the marijuana plant that people are growing for "medicinal" purposes bears any resemblance to the ditchweed that grows in the field? It's been cultivated so much it's not "natural" anymore. I have no problem with the law telling me it's wrong to plant it on my property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top