Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your social and personal stance on abortion?
I'm Pro choice & I would never ever have an abortion 6 3.59%
I'm Pro choice & I would only have an abortion if my life was in danger 0 0%
I'm Pro choice & I would only have an abortion for the above or if the baby's life was in danger 6 3.59%
I'm Pro choice & I would only have an abortion for the above or if the baby would be disabled 3 1.80%
I'm Pro choice & I would only have an abortion for the above or in the case of incest 1 0.60%
I'm Pro choice & I would only have an abortion for the above or in the case of rape 8 4.79%
I'm Pro choice & I would have an abortion for the above or if I couldn't raise the baby 29 17.37%
I'm Pro choice & I would definitely have an abortion, even if I could take care of the baby. 23 13.77%
I'm Pro choice & I would give the baby up for adoption. 3 1.80%
I'm Pro-Life & I would never ever have an abortion 16 9.58%
I'm Pro-Life & I would only have an abortion if my life was in danger 13 7.78%
I'm Pro-Life & I would only have an abortion if the baby's life was in danger 0 0%
I'm Pro-Life & I would only have an abortion if the baby would be disabled 0 0%
I'm Pro-Life & I would only have an abortion in the case of incest 1 0.60%
I'm Pro-Life & I would only have an abortion in the case of rape. 1 0.60%
I'm Pro-Life & I would have an abortion if I couldn't raise the baby 2 1.20%
I'm Pro-Life & I would definitely have an abortion, even if I could take care of the baby. 1 0.60%
I'm Pro-Life & I would give the baby up for adoption. 4 2.40%
I'm a man, I read your request, and I still don't care. It's her choice. 29 17.37%
I'm gay, I read your request, and I still don't care. It's her choice. 11 6.59%
I'm post-menopausal, I read your request, and I still don't care. It's her choice. 10 5.99%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You would do nothing. And Ehh, if she knew you then you probably WOULDN'T KNOW if she aborted. I told my own daughter that if she was ever in that position and knew for certain she didn't want to have the baby to not even mention it to the guy....way too much drama.
Don't pretend to know what I would or would not do. Thank you.

Nice to see how proud you are of teaching your daughter to be a liar. What a great mama you are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Nice to see how proud you are of teaching your daughter to be a liar. What a great mama you are!
Teaching a daughter how best to take of herself is never a bad thing, especially when faced with a threatening sperm-donor. See below.

Quote:
try aborting a baby of mine and see what happens.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Teaching a daughter how best to take of herself is never a bad thing, especially when faced with a threatening sperm-donor. See below.
Withholding the truth constitutes a lie. If she's woman enough to go through an abortion, be woman enough to tell the father. Only a coward would avoid doing such. Yes. Women can be cowards, too.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:04 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Quote:
that's for me to know, and that manipulative, contemptible woman to find out.
You pretty good at finding those manipulative, contemptible women?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
You pretty good at finding those manipulative, contemptible women?
Hopefully, never. I have a beautiful baby boy and his mother would have never dreamed of taking his life.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Quote:
Hopefully, never. I have a beautiful baby boy and his mother would have never dreamed of taking his life.
Congratulations!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:45 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
what you consider slavery other people consider an adult mutually romantic expression of love. do you really expect a married/committed couple to not express their feelings for one another?

people have also been having meaningless sex since the dawn of man there is no way people will stop that either.
People keep saying that. And I keep saying that we have MORE sex now because of this religious belief in contraceptives. And I suppose someone else will tell me "people have always had sex" And I'll repeat the same thing again... "we have MORE sex now because of this religious belief in contraceptives" and once again someone will repeat, "people have always had sex" and I'll keep repeating until you all get it through your thick skulls... "we have MORE sex now because of this religious belief in contraceptives."

Can we please stop this merry go round??? Understand!!! WE HAVE MORE SEX NOW!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
sure lots of people think they know someone...all the more reason to take protection until you are very sure you are both on the same path.
And what if you get pregnant even though you "took protection?"

Obvious right? Kill the fetus.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
and the opinion of the SCOTUS
So what? This isn't a debate over law. If the law changed, you would STILL support a woman's "right" to have an abortion. So the law's got NOTHING to do with your feelings on the matter.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:03 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
Not "abstinence education" (which I assume you liken to "abstinence ONLY" education. I want COMPLETE education without overly emphasizing the effectiveness of contraceptives. Reality was twisted by the over-exuberant belief in the effectiveness of contraceptives. If contraceptives were said to be 80% effective (as condoms are) or even 90% effective (as the pill is) people would to this day still have a healthy respect for sex and approach it with more care than they do.
The condom is actually 97% effective when used properly, not 80% effective... aside from that, I mostly agree with your statements.

Quote:
Well good for you. I'd like to tell another personal story. A couple of years ago I was having a similar discussion with someone else who actually did the same thing. Except this person used even more contraceptive methods. Spermicidal lubricants and I think the rhythm method too. Oh actually I think she had an IUD but was also taking the pill. I don't remember exactly but the point is she used 3 or 4 contraceptive methods.

Still got pregnant.
Hey, you're the one who implied I might have an unwanted pregnancy in the future - so of course I'd respond accordingly, and inform you that's not possible anymore. As for your friend, she should play the lottery, because she definitely beat the odds! Although I think you might be mistaken or exaggerating, as it's unusual for a doctor to approve the IUD and BC pills together... they both release hormones, and can cause blood clots or strokes if used together. How to Take a Birth Control Pill while an IUD is in Place | eHow.com

Of course some women will get pregnant despite using BC, but the chances are quite slim with proper use (especially using multiple forms as your friend did). So again, you are suggesting people practice abstinence only, if they want to avoid the chance of pregnancy... but the FACTS are that BC does work very well, and you can't expect people to be chaste forever. Going back to the driving analogy: Seat belts don't prevent 100% of automobile deaths, but people will still drive, so at least the belts DECREASE the chances of severe injury (or death) in an accident. Got it now?

Quote:
It means they should approach it with respect and not do it every freaking time they feel like it. Be adult and control your urges.

Being a slave to your impulses doesn't make you free. It makes you a slave. Conquer your impulses and you'll know what real freedom is.
I personally don't need a lecture on that, but of course some people (particularly teenagers) have trouble with this concept... but teaching them about safe sex doesn't increase these impulses, just as teaching abstinence & the dangers of unsafe sex doesn't really decrease them. I went through sex ed and the usual parental lectures, and still did it when I felt I was ready - no sooner or later.

You simply can't control other people's urges, and I think that's what really bugs you - why not just worry about yourself instead?? If they want to have loads of sex, all we can really do is inform them of the risks & consequences, and how to reduce these occurrences. I think we're on the same page in terms of sex ed, so really I don't understand what your argument is about.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-14-2011 at 02:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies