Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't know ANYBODY who thinks government is "entitled" to their money and I literally know thousands of people.

Do you know anyone who thinks that? Does anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvGsW...eature=related

This guy does.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
If the "government" is not entitled to anyone's money how would the warmongers profit from the race and religious wars so popular amongst the conservatives?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Lets say there is no money but a homestead or farm . Why are you entitled to part of some one else's farm more than the beneficiary of the deceased?
Dear me, when did I claim to be personally entitled to anything? In my tax bracket, I'm handing over more to Uncle Sam than 90% of your countrymen. (Probably more this year, bonuses were pretty generous.) Doesn't mean I'm in the mood to let others, with considerably deeper pockets, look away when the collection plate is passed around.

The family farm is of course the classical heart-string tugging example, ignoring that most tax codes have exemptions for just that scenario. But assets are assets. If the owner of a farm were to make a gift of his assets while alive, would that be taxed? Why, yes it would.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
The topic of this thread is about "The mind set", of some who believe that the Government is more entitled to other peoples Money than they are. The Estate Tax is a classic example but it really applies to all taxation. Regarding the estate Tax ,We hear those on this forum say things like , those who are inheriting the Estate don't "deserve it' the didn't "earn " it etc... the question for these people, is what did the government do to "deserve" it or "earn" it? I don't want to debate the estate tax on here that has been done on plenty other threads, what I want to know is what is your thought process that tells you that the Government is more entitled to peoples money than they are. How do you justify that Mind Set? Obviously I chalk it up to typical class warfare liberalism......it is just basic wealth redistribution. You can take it one step further and ask why do the people that actually have a claim to the estate not deserve it.................but the thousands of government recipients of some pork barrel projects do deserve it?

What you fail to understand...

Government services and functions aren't free. We all have to pay for them. We all use them. If you think you're being unfairly burdened, you have options.

You can move to a very isolated rural area with no paved roads, no water or sewer service, very sketchy fire/police protection and few school age kids to suck money out of your wallet for their schools.

Taxes will likely be MUCH lower there. And you could be happy.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:41 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
IMO those who follow Conservatism (at least today's version) are collectivists believing corporate entities are more important than indivduals and are to be entitled as such.
I think you're wrong. I think we would prefer that we're all responsible for ourselves and shouldn't be forced to bail out some moron that mishandled what he had been given, or is jealous and doesn't want to work for a living. We're all about personal property rights.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:03 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
What you fail to understand...

Government services and functions aren't free. We all have to pay for them. We all use them. If you think you're being unfairly burdened, you have options.

You can move to a very isolated rural area with no paved roads, no water or sewer service, very sketchy fire/police protection and few school age kids to suck money out of your wallet for their schools.

Taxes will likely be MUCH lower there. And you could be happy.
Now listen oldgringo , I do not fail to understand that, I understand very well and we could go down that road but not on this thread......except to say you know as well as I there will never be enough, there will never be a point where the left says ok thats enough. The topic is where do YOU get the belief that the government should take what is rightfully a private citizens "an estate" and give to whom they choose.

Last edited by silas777; 01-04-2011 at 09:12 AM..

Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If the "government" is not entitled to anyone's money how would the warmongers profit from the race and religious wars so popular amongst the conservatives?
Oh you mean the wars that the vast majority of Dems in office at the time voted for also?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Now listen oldgringo , I do not fail to understand that, I understand very well and we could go down that road but not on this thread......except to say you know as well as I there will never be enough, there will never be a point where the left says ok thats enough. The topic is where do YOU get the belief that the government should take what is rightfully a private citizens "an estate" and give to whom they choose.

Here's what I think.

After a billionaire dies, none of what he "earned" is an asset "earned" by anyone else. If he's limited to leaving say, 10 million to each individual heir, then those lucky individuals are set for life. They're all millionaires. Of course, that billionaire, if he's on top of his game, will be able to distribute his earned assets long before his passing to lots of folks/organizations that didn't earn a penny of it

They should all be happy. They've each gained 10 million bucks they didn't earn.

And you should be happy for them, too.

You are aware that inheritance taxes only apply to large fortunes, right? Perhaps that billionaire is patriotic to some degree and wouldn't mind some of his assets going to his country.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:04 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

You are aware that inheritance taxes only apply to large fortunes, right? Perhaps that billionaire is patriotic to some degree and wouldn't mind some of his assets going to his country.
I reckon since he was a Billionaire, over the course of his life he "gave" quite a bit to his country..you might say that would make him a mega Patriot!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I reckon since he was a Billionaire, over the course of his life he "gave" quite a bit to his country..you might say that would make him a mega Patriot!

And I might say "America been berry, berry good to heem", too.

I just don't get wealthy folks griping about taxes. After they pay, they're still wealthy. And they get to live in the best country on earth.

What's their gripe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies