Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:51 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
My 11 year old son had a seizure a few weeks ago, the first one he's ever had. We called an ambulance and spent an evening in the ER. Guess how much it costs...

Ambulance ride: About $1300.00 for the 2 mile trip to the hospital
Hospital: About $3600.00 for 4 hours in the E.R. and a CT scan
Neurologist: 2 doctor visits for about $700.00

The final verdict? Yep, he had a seizure and will probably have more. Good luck with that...

This is so out of touch with reality that it isn't even funny. How could this possibly cost almost $5,000?!!! If I ever had any doubt the US medical system was broken, its' gone now.
I feel your pain... Years ago our family had a problem with a pregnancy, and when the water broke at 26 weeks, we called for assistance due to the pain she was experiencing. We had to go to a more equipped hospital, and they flew us to another city.

Ambulance ride to the hospital (18 miles) = $1800
Ambulance ride to airport (12 miles) = $800
Flight to other city (300 miles) = $15000
Hospital stay in other hospital = $2500 per night X 35 days.

Pre-natal care for our son = $7500

Our son died the day he was born.

We had to file bankruptcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 07:51 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Actually I do. But this was "out of network" and I am in the middle of fighting with them to pay. We were visiting my parents when it happened.
Good for you. Keep fighting and don't give up, keep bugging them and the odds are they will pay it to just get you to stop annoying them.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:58 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I feel your pain... Years ago our family had a problem with a pregnancy, and when the water broke at 26 weeks, we called for assistance due to the pain she was experiencing. We had to go to a more equipped hospital, and they flew us to another city.

Absolutely horrible. And not even the worse story I have ever heard.

Thank you for sharing your personal story, even though you will be eviscerated by people that will tell you the death of your child was somehow your fault, and to pay up and shut up.

It takes courage to stand up and tell a personal story, exposing yourself to ridicule, all so you can illustrate how broken the system is.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:59 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Quote:

I'm so, so sorry that you lost him.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:25 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Well, here's my story as it relates to your outrage over the costs:

A while a go, I had a kidney stone while being in Costa Rica. I had to go to a private hospital, got admitted to the ER, got a CT scan, pain relievers, muscle relaxers, the whole nine yards. The doctors and nurses checked on my frequently and took wonderful care of me. I was in a brand-new, private room on a comfortable bed. They diagnosed kidney stones and told me that it was too small to do anything - I'd have to pass it naturally. Then they gave me more meds to take with me to manage the pain. Total cost: US$256.

Then, I flew to Miami.

The pain returned and I was having a difficult time passing the stone. Consequently, I went to see a urologist who referred me to the ER of the hospital next door. Fee for his service US$ 210.

I was admitted at the ER, put on a stretcher in a hallway next to a guy who was freaking out on drugs, waited in agony until somebody paid attention to me, disclosed that I had just been to a hospital in Costa Rica, handed over ALL my paperwork, and was told they needed to do their own CT scan.

After that, I was told that my kidney stone had to pass naturally and was handed a prescription.

Total cost US$11,656 plus $160 for prescription drugs! Same service, same tests, same diagnosis. Much worse accommodations, little attention from doctors or nurses.

Yes, I have health insurance (International insurance out of Dubai) and they paid for all of it. Still - that's a ridiculous difference in price. Guess where I am flying next time I have a medical need that allows me to sit on a plane for two hours...

Old 01-03-2011, 08:25 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:

I'm deeply saddened for you. Losing a child is a horrible horrible thing. I'm sorry. Really.

Insurance didn't pay though?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Its lie anyhtign else 'you pay for thsoe who don't pay even ambulances. The same goes for hospital cost.Eevn the federal governamnt does this as b the time april comes close to 50% pay no incoime tax;69% don't pay enough fopr the serices they get ;so those whop do pay pay more than otherwise.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:00 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
My 11 year old son had a seizure a few weeks ago, the first one he's ever had. We called an ambulance and spent an evening in the ER. Guess how much it costs...

Ambulance ride: About $1300.00 for the 2 mile trip to the hospital
Hospital: About $3600.00 for 4 hours in the E.R. and a CT scan
Neurologist: 2 doctor visits for about $700.00

The final verdict? Yep, he had a seizure and will probably have more. Good luck with that...

This is so out of touch with reality that it isn't even funny. How could this possibly cost almost $5,000?!!! If I ever had any doubt the US medical system was broken, its' gone now.
A lot of ambulance rides are privately owned, how about you work 24/7 and give free rides will trying to resuscitate the dying patient... no? Don't like the hours or the liability? Now you know why it costs so much...

A CT scanner can cost millions... how about we make you part payer for that machine instead of the fee... ER is exactly that EMERGENCY... things don't cost cheap in EMERGENCIES... otherwise you would be in the family practice room with a $20 copay...

Neurologists... that's their pay... are you saying that I think you should be paid 10 cents an hour cause I think your job is worthless? No? Don't like me dictating your pay... then don't be a hypocrite...

Old 01-03-2011, 09:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:

I'm sorrry for your loss.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:

Something doesn't make sense here... water broke at 26 weeks and you have a 35 day hospital stay but son died on the day he was born? Pre-natal care?? 7500?? $15000 for a flight? After the water broke? In most countries, 26 weeks and they don't even try to save the baby... granted at 26 weeks, the chance of survival is slim...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies