Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 AM

52,212 posts, read 33,980,412 times

Advertisements

part 3 in a series..

Quote:
Since he was 16, Long has qualified for the children’s SSI program for his depression and bipolar illness. When he was a student at New Bedford High School, he recalled, he felt envious of peers who earned extra money by working at restaurants and stores. He says he did not work because he did not dare jeopardize his $700-a-month SSI check, which was critical to his family.

“I heard that if I was working, my check would be reduced,’’ said Long, now 21, who grew up in this struggling port city. “It gave me a reason not to work.’’

Teenagers in SSI program face a cruel dilemma - The Boston Globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 PM

52,212 posts, read 33,980,412 times
20 views and no responses?
Hard to believe no one thought this was interesting enough to comment

Old 01-04-2011, 09:28 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,787,558 times
I was depressed all through my teens, my twenties and half my thirties. I worked as soon as I was able. Legally at 15. Up until Washington and Wall Street (big business) went to extremes and shot (and shut) us ALL down. Even if I had heard of such programs I would never have participated in such BS. Nothing more than a cop-out to be further dependent past living at home.

Quote:
A destructive dependence

Top Social Security officials, in an interview at the agency’s headquarters just outside Baltimore, said they also worry that the SSI program for children may have the unintended effect of sapping teenagers’ motivation to enter the workforce.
Unintended? Really? They expect us to believe this crap?

Thank you for posting this. Learn something new every day. This just adds to the issues of which I intend to be VERY VOCAL about, in my community and our Country, this year. And as many more as it takes to get something noticed and done.

These kids are nothing more sniveling babies.

Now my 'panties' are in a wad.

Last edited by shroombeanie; 01-04-2011 at 09:38 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 09:34 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,300,199 times
Wow, I was completely unaware that one could even get SSI for being diagnosed with depression or bipolar disorder. What is the reasoning behind it? I mean, I can understand parents who have children with debilitating illnesses that require intensive in-home care, specialized therapists, or equipment, but depression and bipolar disorders? I don't get it.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,322,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Wow, I was completely unaware that one could even get SSI for being diagnosed with depression or bipolar disorder. What is the reasoning behind it? I mean, I can understand parents who have children with debilitating illnesses that require intensive in-home care, specialized therapists, or equipment, but depression and bipolar disorders? I don't get it.
Do you know anyone who's bipolar?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,299,424 times
I knew a family that were all on disability, Dad, mom and two Sons one of the boys had a club foot I can't remember about the other, both boys wanted to go to work but Mom and Dad threw a fit, they still live on my mom's street the boys are now in their 50's.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
I do. My wife. 51 and been through chemo-therapy, successfully. After her chemo treatment, ahe became very nervous and uneasy around big crowds of people, to the point of passing out. She's looking at receiving SSI after working through her years of depression since the age of 14.

Give them (these cry-ass teenagers) their meds and tell them to get off their asses and get to work.

No way they deserve to be 'eating up' monies they definitely DO NOT deserve. There are much more debilitating ailments of children this age that are much more in need of said monies.

My 'panties' are still in a wad.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,300,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Yes, but I suspect she has a mild form of bipolar, and she doesn't even require medication (or just doesn't take it).

Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I knew a family that were all on disability, Dad, mom and two Sons one of the boys had a club foot I can't remember about the other, both boys wanted to go to work but Mom and Dad threw a fit, they still live on my mom's street the boys are now in their 50's.
While I was 'bell-ringing' for the SA at Wal-Mart I got acquainted (they are friends now) with several PHYSICALLY and MENTALLY challenged people that were at work EVERYDAY and doing their jobs better than some of the fully capable employees.

Once again... these KIDS are nothing more than sniveling babies.

YUP... still in a wad.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,322,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
I do. My wife. 51 and been through chemo-therapy, successfully. After her chemo treatment, ahe became very nervous and uneasy around big crowds of people, to the point of passing out. She's looking at receiving SSI after working through her years of depression since the age of 14. About time!

Give them (these cry-ass teenagers) their meds and tell them to get off their asses and get to work.
No way they deserve to be 'eating up' monies they definitely DO NOT deserve. There are much more debilitating ailments of children this age that are much more in need of said monies.

My 'panties' are still in a wad.
Your wife deserves SSI.

I agree with you on some parts because I do understand people who feel like they shouldn't work because they are on SSI aid. In no way am I saying your wife's case of bipolar isn't as severe as others but I know a couple of people (a cousin included) who's so severe even with medicine they are still showing mild symptoms of biploar disorder, those are the ones who need SSI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies